Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In summary:
    I tried searching but unfortunately, the forum doesn't like me searching for "q" and when I search for "motorola" all the info I get is about headsets. So if anyone has some thread links that highlight some major points for and against each I would greatly appreciate it.

Some more detail:
    I recently got sprint to upgrade me to the treo 700wx from my 6700 due to reliability problems. Anyway, I have a window here where I could switch to the Q if I wanted to as I've only had the 700 for 2 days. I love the 700 except for one major glaring problem...I hate wired headsets and I LOVE voice dialing using my BT headset. It baffles me why palm/sprint left this feature off of a $650 phone.

So now I'm trying to weigh the advantage of BT VC on the Q vs the loss in features by going to a smartphone. Namely I'm concerned about the following with the Q:
    1) finding a financial management program that works on smartphones
    2) battery life
    3) slingbox support
    4) web browsing experience
    5) keyboard usability (I hear the Q has an awkward layout.)

If I can alleviate these 4 problems, I'll be switching to the Q post-haste.
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    I would suggest finding a Motorola Q forum and posting your questions there too. Here is one I found on a Google search.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/motorola-q/

Greg
    They are both Windows Mobile 5 phones but the Q is considered a stripped down version along with no touchscreen... That's not for me but it could be different for you.
    first off I count 5 problems not 4. lol.

this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135579 is about the most you will find about the Q on this site. there is a lot more on the Q at sprintusers.com even some 700wx vs Q threads. good luck
  5.    #5  
    LOL... and I'm a math teacher. Thanks for the link. That is the *#$#$ thread that got me spending the last 3 hours reading about the Q.

Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    first off I count 5 problems not 4. lol.

this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135579 is about the most you will find about the Q on this site. there is a lot more on the Q at sprintusers.com even some 700wx vs Q threads. good luck
    Dave Ciccone video review can be found

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/sp...otorola_q.html

Cheers

Phil C
    i was under the impression that you can get a BT headset for the 700wx, it just doesn't come with one. if thats true, then i guess your problem with it is solved. as for the Q, im looking for a smartphone myself, and i instantly decided against the Q because it runs WM5, not WM5 smartphone edition like the 700wx. well that might not be the name but they run different versions of WM5, the one on the Q is NOT the one you want on a phone. the 700wx's OS has nice phone features like dialing and stuff, plus it has a touch screen.

after reading more about the Q just to make sure the OS was reason enough to not get it, the battery life is horrible beyond belief.
    The OS is a little sketchy like all yet battery life is much improved.Many power users are getting 2 days untill charge needed..
    Lack of touch screen was the deal breaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldstallyns258 View Post
    i was under the impression that you can get a BT headset for the 700wx, it just doesn't come with one. if thats true, then i guess your problem with it is solved. as for the Q, im looking for a smartphone myself, and i instantly decided against the Q because it runs WM5, not WM5 smartphone edition like the 700wx. well that might not be the name but they run different versions of WM5, the one on the Q is NOT the one you want on a phone. the 700wx's OS has nice phone features like dialing and stuff, plus it has a touch screen.

after reading more about the Q just to make sure the OS was reason enough to not get it, the battery life is horrible beyond belief.
    You really have no idea what you are talking about.

The 700wx runs full WM5, the Q runs the Smartphone edition.

The Q overall is just a better phone with PDA functions and for most people out there it is more than capable as a PDA.

Like dialing and stuff? The Q has the same "start typing on the homescreen to search your contacts" as the 700wx does. The lack of touchscreen is not a big deal, especially since so many people want "one handed use" out of their 700wx devices.

But if you need the Touchscreen then the Q is obviously not for you.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/31/2007 at 02:19 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    1) finding a financial management program that works on smartphones
    XS Finance (listed in the other thread)

2) battery life
    Is fine. The battery is a 1130mah, Treo is 1800. Still, it holds a whole day doing push email, etc. You can get a 2100mah or 3200mah battery. The former adds only a little in size, the latter more so. You could also pick up a P790.

3) slingbox support

Looks better than the 700wx due to higher res and full screen. Have had no issues.

4) web browsing experience

Pretty much the same as the 700wx.

5) keyboard usability (I hear the Q has an awkward layout.)

I like the KB better than the 700 b/c it is spaced better. It's only awkward for me b/c I'm use to the 700w's key layout but I'm getting more used to the Q's.

I use a free app called Bankarama on my Dash to keep track of finances or lack of

I found battery life dismal on the Q, but I know it has improved with the new update.

I find my Dash screen to be better than my 700wx because it's landscape and gives you a widescreen feel.

Web browsing is basically the same.

Treos definitely have the best keyboards out there.

Like Malatesta said the lack of touchscreen isn't really an issue since we all strive for one handed usage.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You really have no idea what you are talking about.

The 700wx runs full WM5, the Q runs the Smartphone edition.

The Q overall is just a better phone with PDA functions and for most people out there it is more than capable as a PDA.

Like dialing and stuff? The Q has the same "start typing on the homescreen to search your contacts" as the 700wx does. The lack of touchscreen is not a big deal, especially since so many people want "one handed use" out of their 700wx devices.

Relax dude.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    well i guess all the stuff i read about the Q was wrong. and now im not getting the 700wx and the Q mixed up. maybe the reviews and stuff i read, the people were just confused or didn't know how to use the features.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Maletesta--
    Thanks so much for the info. You've inspired some more questions though...
    6) If you had to compare the "one-handed usability" of the two, which would be better? (I basically never use my stylus with the treo.)
    7) Does the Q do something similar to the treo's "ignore with sms" for incoming calls?
    8) Same question as 7, just with internet searching on today screen.
    9) Finally, one feature that is often overlooked, but I love... does the Q automatically link phone numbers that show up in webpages/emails/txts so that you can just highlight, click, and dial? (My ppc6700 didn't have this and it was one thing I missed from my treo 600.)

TIA!
    Does the Q still not have a keyguard other than the manual device lock type thing you have to do? I know somebody at work who has one from verizon and awhile ago I tried forever to help them out, CONVINCED there had to be a keyguard thing she was missing. Turns out, nope there really isn't a freaking keyguard.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwalls3 View Post
    You've inspired some more questions though...
    6) If you had to compare the "one-handed usability" of the two, which would be better? (I basically never use my stylus with the treo.)
    7) Does the Q do something similar to the treo's "ignore with sms" for incoming calls?
    8) Same question as 7, just with internet searching on today screen.
    9) Finally, one feature that is often overlooked, but I love... does the Q automatically link phone numbers that show up in webpages/emails/txts so that you can just highlight, click, and dial? (My ppc6700 didn't have this and it was one thing I missed from my treo 600.)
    I'll chime in, since I used both a Treo 650 and now a Q...

6) I think the Q is better for one handed operation. I'm sure I could have learned how to use the 650 one handed, but the Q seems more natural to me (or maybe it's just that I have no choice because there is no touchscreen?).

7) No.

8) Not that I'm aware of. However, since the home screen is XML skinnable, it's possible that some highly intelligent individual might be able to create a plugin that will do it.

9) Yes.
    I went from a 650 to the Q 2 weeks ago and I love it - except for the battery. The PHONE was the main reason I switched - I did not like the phone on the Treo very much. The Q's call quality is excellent - or at least a lot better than my Treo was. BT is great (again), since I consider that the 650 didn't really have BT!

WM5 Smartphone is also fine with me - I actually prefer it to the POS (and so far, I have had less resets/hangs/etc.). One handed is much easier for me on the Q - I do not miss the touchscreen at all - I was over that in about 2 minutes. Keyboard - great! Screen - great! ActiveSync email - great (with an exchange account)! Size and weight - excellent! I personally got tired of the Treo brick size.

Could be better: Battery - I can't make it through a business day w/o some recharging. I am going to get the Seidio 2100 battery once they have the Sprint door ready. Programs - good ones, but not as many choices as Palm and typically a little more expensive - but I bought more programs than I needed with the Treo anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeno View Post
    Does the Q still not have a keyguard other than the manual device lock type thing you have to do? I know somebody at work who has one from verizon and awhile ago I tried forever to help them out, CONVINCED there had to be a keyguard thing she was missing. Turns out, nope there really isn't a freaking keyguard.
    Then she dumb.

There's a Keyguard or a PIN just like any other WM5 device.

In fact, there is a free program called Automatic Keylock which allows just that: for the keylock to engage automatically or after X amount of time. It's mad smart too, you can have it disengage for specific profiles or when it's charging.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    rwalls3

Everyone seems to have already answered so I'll just throw in that's it's very one-handed.

More so than a 700wx? I use them 98% exactly the same so no.

I have a black q verizon 700 minute plan
    I have a treo 700w verizon 4000 minute plan

The 700w is a tool.

The q is a toy.

If you use over 1000 minutes per month get the 700wx
    If less get the Q

If you use email get the 700wx
    If you want to add software get the 700wx

When people talk bad about the q see if they are talking about the silver or the black. black has improved speed and battery life. even though they did a firmware update on the silver it is not quite as good as the black.

www.qusers.com is a good q forum.
  20. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Malatesta,I have just a few questions that I think only you would be able to answer. Can the MotoQ's registry be configured with the hacks that speed up the internet ie. maxthreadsrequested & so on? Also,is there a way to add the google search bar at the today screen like on the treo? Finallly the most important to me is have you installed the palm threaded sms app on it successfully?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast