1.    #1  
    hello...

i recently got a treo 750 for my boss and have it syncing with our exchange server. thats fine, everything syncs. problem is, my boss has 10,000+ email messages that i know he's going to want all on the treo. along with its megabytes and megabytes of attachments. i've read where there's a registry hack to move the inbox location from the internal memory out to the storage card. (AttachPath, and PropertyPath)

i successfully did it on my hp ipaq hw6945. but on the treo 750, it keeps renaming my storage card to storage card2, and then creating a folder called storage card which i assume is still on the internal memory. i read somewhere that the reason for that is because the messaging today plugin runs first before it recognizes that there is a storage card. so when the storage card is finally recognized and there is already a folder called storage card, it renames to storage card2. the suggestion was to disable the messaging today plugin. i did that. still renames my storage card. i then disabled all my today plugins, soft reset, and it still renames my storage card! this is getting frustrating. is it something about the treo 750 that the registry hack won't work? has anyone with a treo 750 successfully changed their inbox location from the \windows\messaging folder to their storage card?
    the easiest thing is to a) not worry what the device is calling your card - that's irrelevant to what you want to do, and b) make sure that in your Email settings, you have the attachments to be stored on the SD card. Do that this way:
    When in your email app:
    Menu
    Tools
    Options
    Scroll down with the 5-way and then over to 'Storage'
    Check box 'Store attachments on Storage Card'

Again - don't worry what the card is called. THe device will figure it out.

Now - that's only for the attachments. For the emails themselves, you're on your own there, with whatever hack or reg edit you can find.

I think the larger issue is that your boss needs to reset his expectations about what this device is. It's not intended to carry all 10,000 of his emails, and gigaflops of attachments. It's supposed to be a subset of his email - a mobile, at the moment-type responding device. In fact, you've probably noticed that by default, only the last 3 days (!) of email are synced to the device. I put mine at the last two weeks, and I think that's plenty. Maybe a month. But I defy anyone to show me how they'll use, in reality, 10,000 emails and millions of attachments on a device like this. Seriously.
  3.    #3  
    yes you are right. no one should be storing thousands of emails on their device.. i'll just make sure that the "store attachments on storage card" is checked and limit the emails to maybe 2 weeks worth. thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    the easiest thing is to a) not worry what the device is calling your card - that's irrelevant to what you want to do, and b) make sure that in your Email settings, you have the attachments to be stored on the SD card. Do that this way:
    When in your email app:
    Menu
    Tools
    Options
    Scroll down with the 5-way and then over to 'Storage'
    Check box 'Store attachments on Storage Card'

Again - don't worry what the card is called. THe device will figure it out.

Now - that's only for the attachments. For the emails themselves, you're on your own there, with whatever hack or reg edit you can find.

I think the larger issue is that your boss needs to reset his expectations about what this device is. It's not intended to carry all 10,000 of his emails, and gigaflops of attachments. It's supposed to be a subset of his email - a mobile, at the moment-type responding device. In fact, you've probably noticed that by default, only the last 3 days (!) of email are synced to the device. I put mine at the last two weeks, and I think that's plenty. Maybe a month. But I defy anyone to show me how they'll use, in reality, 10,000 emails and millions of attachments on a device like this. Seriously.
    There is a video floating out on Microsoft's demo of WM6. That may be better suited for your boss. In this case, your boss can synchronize the most recent mail (maybe 1-2 weeks), and if he needs something older, he can perform a "search" on his exchange server and retrieve what he needs. He can then download that to his device whenever, wherever he has an active connection. This feature is native to WM6 and he can do the same with contacts as well--only have the most salient contacts on his device and the company directory can be searched thru exchange server.