Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good thing I had enough sense to get the equipment protection plan from Sprint. I'm on my 4th Treo. Just came back from the Sprint store. First Treo was headset jack issue. Second Treo was headset jack issue. Third Treo was earpiece stopped working (after only a week of having the phone). Sprint just gave me my 4th unit. The first 3 were new units. This unit is a refurb. I don't even want to talk about the number of hard resets I have had to do in order to get my phone to sync with my PC again.

Now - I know this isn't the right forum or maybe even website, but has anyone had an opportunity to use the Moto Q that Sprint is offering? I want to get some feedback on the device. I think it may be time for a change.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
    the Q is a nice phone. it will limit you with may things like touch screen, not editing word, excel, ect files. 3rd party programs are going to be an issue due to the screen now being 320x240 in stead of the 240x320.

the biggest problem with the Q is the battery life. plan on adding bulk to your thin device with the extended battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    the Q is a nice phone. it will limit you with may things like touch screen, not editing word, excel, ect files.
    DataViz has a preview available of their upcoming Documents To Go that will allow you to edit Office files on a Q.
    I like the Q.

Had one before the WX.

As mentioned battery can be an issue but one that's easily solved with the extended battery.

Lack of apps was a bigger concern for me.

You might want to check out www.qusers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    DataViz has a preview available of their upcoming Documents To Go that will allow you to edit Office files on a Q.
    someday. and not stock.

still there is hope for those Q users. I guess the blackjack and dash users as well. lol
    The Q is nice. Makes the Treo look fat that's for sure. It's the first pda type device I could comfortably put in my pocket.

- Battery life: for an 1130mah battery (treo is 1800) it's actually not bad
    - Screen: Awesome. The resolution is very very nice. Best display I've seen. Slingplayer plays fullscreen and looks wonderful.
    - Software: I've found about 95% of my software for smartphone

Other than that it has A2DP, voice-over-BT, is thin, easy to use and very stable. It's different than the 700wx but nice.

I don't miss the touchscreen at all nor do I edit docs (but I view them) so that doesn't matter to me.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Try another customer service rep. I have had times with my 650 where I went through 3 refurbs and nothing ever got better. Then I had the recent issue where my 6700 turned into garbage and they sent me a 700wx, brand new in a box, w/o even paying my replacement deductible.

Sprint is a weird company. Just cuz one person says it's how it is, and you don't like it, doesn't mean you can't say ok thanks, and try another person. Go for supervisors, tell them you are not convinced a refurb phone will work you want a new one.

As for the Q, I think no touchscreen would bug the crap out of me, and the battery issues are fixable with a battery but that's if you are ready to spend 60 bucks or whatever it costs more on top of the trauma you've had with your phone (I know I wouldn't want to pony up .01 for a replacement phone right away.)

Just depends on what you do with your phone. If you're a palm vet, internet user, and do more pocket PC than phone, I'd say stick with the treo. If you don't mess wtih editing office and excel, and you never use your stylus to tap your screen, go with the Q.

Which treo do you have that is causing you all of the problems?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeno View Post

Which treo do you have that is causing you all of the problems?
    700WX
    Quote Originally Posted by vader View Post
    Now - I know this isn't the right forum or maybe even website, but has anyone had an opportunity to use the Moto Q that Sprint is offering? I want to get some feedback on the device. I think it may be time for a change.
    Depends what you want to do. I have used the Treo 650 (Cingular), Blackberry 8700 (Cingular), and now the Motorola Q (Verizon). My assessment is this:

• The BB was hands down and bar none the best for e-mail, the Q is suitable for e-mail, and the Treo stunk (it didn't help the Treo's cause that my former employer used some crazy, jury-rigged method of getting e-mail to my Treo rather than EAS or Good).
    • As far as organizer (e.g., traditional PDA functions go), I found the Blackberry lacking and the Treo and Q roughly equal (note that I don't use any sort of extra functionality--just the stock PIMs). My biggest gripe about the Blackberry was that it doesn't permit syncing to two computers (my work Exchange server and my personal laptop, which I travel with) without some serious screwing around with settings...every time. My gripe on the Treo was that it didn't integrate totally smoothly with Outlook (though it did a better job than I remembered from my days with a Palm m505); I'm betting a WM Treo would be equivalent to the Q.
    • For phone, the Q beats everything...but this may not be a fair comparison because of the network change.

Note that I really don't do anything else with my device--I don't use it as an MP3 player, I don't use it as a camera (except for quick snaps), and I don't use it for document editing (though I did download and mess with the Docs to Go preview for fun and found that it works pretty well). I use PDANet when I'm in a pinch, and it works great. I do most data entry on a PC either at home or at work; at work, it gets pushed to the Q via Exchange Active Sync with direct push (NB: works just as well as the BB push system in my experience), while I do a BT Active Sync at home. I consider myself savvy when it comes to technology, but I'm hardly a power user by comparison to others on this forum (and similar fora).

I do charge the Q every night, and thus have been able to use only the normal battery. By the end of a normal day, I'm typically around 2 or 3 bars. I'm at 3 bars (of 4) right now, and it's been off the charger since about 7am (it's now 5 pm). I've not made any calls on it, but it has been buzzing a lot today to signal e-mail deliveries, and BT is on (so it will link with my car).

All that said...I am hoping that VZW releases the Treo 700wx or something even better sometime this year. I do kind of miss the touch screen (from 1998 until 2005, I used some form of PDA, first Palm and then Windows).

One final note: employees in my company have choice of device (including the choice not to carry a device). Of those that carry devices, we're about 50% Blackberry, and the rest are on Treos or Qs. Most of us are on Verizon. About a dozen people jumped to the Q immediately upon its release last summer (including me), and our IT people found that those with Qs had fewer problems than those with Treos (though this may also be an artifact of the fact that the younger people were typically the ones who made the jump).
    Are these out of the box problems? What programs are you running that are additional? Is the phone dropped often or banged around in any way?

If they are coming out of the box with these problems. ***** a fire storm at Sprint until you get what you want. Don't settle for crap.
    The Q had a software update recently that helped with the battery life.

Still- your experience with theWX is atypical. I understand your aggrevation but also have to wonder what the hell is going on.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I don't miss the touchscreen at all nor do I edit docs (but I view them) so that doesn't matter to me.
    Did you jump ship over to the Q?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    Did you jump ship over to the Q?
    kinda.

haven't made a firm decision yet but I'm liking the Q for my needs. It's sharp.

The keyboard is fantastic too since the buttons have more space, it's easier to type. It's not a perfect device (I find the "build quality" better on the Treo) but for what I use it for it's pretty darn good.

Voice quality and BT are also top notch.

Wow, seriously, Mal? Who's your carrier?

I haven't heard much of anything good about the Q on Sprint... other than it's purty... to some people.
    END OF LINE
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeno View Post
    Are these out of the box problems? What programs are you running that are additional? Is the phone dropped often or banged around in any way?

If they are coming out of the box with these problems. ***** a fire storm at Sprint until you get what you want. Don't settle for crap.

I've dropped my phone twice, and I don't bang it around. I'm lean when it comes to programs (verichat, a few games). I was using SPB Weather and the today screen plug-in, but it kept freezing my Treo, and I had to do a hard reset almost once a week. I hate bluetooth headsets (mainly because I haven't found one that has good sound quality, doesn't have a bunch of static, and I can use more that 5 feet away from my Treo), so I use the conventional wired headset. The cord gets snagged every once in a while, and that's probably the reason why I've had the headset jack go bad on two Treos. The headset jack is very sensitive. The third Treo (which I got last week), the earpiece stopped working, so I couldn't hear people, but people could hear me. The 4th Treo (which is a refurb) does not show the recent programs at the top when you open the Start menu. The first 3 were out of the box. The Treo is an excellent piece of equipment, when I'm not doing soft resets, hard resets, or exchanging at a local Sprint Store.

Question - are there any phone updates that I should be getting? Are there any software updates that I should have/should be downloading? I really don't want to move from the Treo, but if I have to keep going through this crap, I'll go to a Moto Q. Hell - I'll go to a Motorola Razor if it's more reliable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    Wow, seriously, Mal? Who's your carrier?

I haven't heard much of anything good about the Q on Sprint... other than it's purty... to some people.
    Sprint actually

Depending on your needs it's actually a fine device. I was always curious about the smarphone platform and it does have its perks. This definitely "feels" more phone like.

The resolution (320x240) is really sharp looking and Sling looks much better especially since you can do "full screen" with it on here. Plus with the built in "profiles" (like phonealarm) and the free "Don't Forget" you can re-create like 80% of PA for free.

It's not necessarily better than the Treo 700wx (which I still adore) but the thinness, keyboard, signal, speaker clarity (speaker phone), screen sharpness and stability are all selling points. For basic PDA needs and just a fun WM device I like it. I've already sold 2 people on it who have never owned a smart device ;-)

The MOL2 update fixed a lot of the battery and stability issues and the "homescreens" which are skinable via XML files are really neat, like this one:

Sprint actually

Depending on your needs it's actually a fine device. I was always curious about the smarphone platform and it does have its perks. This definitely "feels" more phone like.
    Wow. Pretty cool. I held a VZW Q for about 2 seconds over the holidays and definitely liked the feel, but wasn't sure how I felt about giving up some of the PPC functionality for the Smartphone platform...

If you have any other Treo vs. Q insight, or observations, I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who'd at least be interested in hearing about it. Just for the sake of a healthy debate...
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    It's not necessarily better than the Treo 700wx (which I still adore) but the thinness, keyboard, signal, speaker clarity (speaker phone), screen sharpness and stability are all selling points. For basic PDA needs and just a fun WM device I like it. I've already sold 2 people on it who have never owned a smart device ;-)
    If you keep it up it will be 3.

But really I have always like Moto a lot. For me they always seem to have the best RF, earpiece & speaker phone quality. I will see how I like the sda I just bought to see it I like the Smartphone OS, if I do I will pick a Q up in April as I will finish my second year with Sprint.
    Sprint actually

The resolution (320x240) is really sharp looking and Sling looks much better especially since you can do "full screen" with it on here. Plus with the built in "profiles" (like phonealarm) and the free "Don't Forget" you can re-create like 80% of PA for free.

The MOL2 update fixed a lot of the battery and stability issues and the "homescreens" which are skinable via XML files are really neat, like this one:

Do the keyboards have backlight? Saw on engadget that a model reviewed by pcmag didn't
    I'm also 'testing' a Q, however this one is for Verizon.

*The battery life could still use some improving. however, I recently purchased a new one on ebay and I have been training it (full drains), and have gotten a noticeable increase in battery life out of it.
    *No system-wide volume adjustment via hardware, must be controlled via profiles *boo*
    *Can't do nightly automated backups.
    *No threaded SMS available (not even the crappy .Net stuff, apparently MOL2 broke those)
    *Most applications won't work, though many apps have an equivalent smartphone variant.
    *The phone speaker is very good, but I find they sometimes have trouble hearing me. But that's the less important than me hearing them The speaker is also great for music, if you play it off the Q it sounds surprisingly good.
    *As for slingbox, I find that while it looks nice full screen, the battery hit it takes makes me uncomfortable. But beyond that, there's slight desync in the audio/video because it appears to put too much strain on the device. That's my impression anyway.
    *I don't think I like the keyboard, I seem to make more mistakes. It's better than not having one I guess. Treo's word completion is much less intrusive and better performing. The default completion software on the Q is so slow I had to turn it off, my sentences were always missing letters in random places.

But the truth is the longer I stay with the Q, the more I want to keep it

*The screen, as Mal mentions, is just fantastic. And it being wider makes it really good for web browsing.
    *Soooo light and THIN! The weight and size of the device just seems impossible.
    *home screens are a delight
    *Camera has an LED Flash that can be helpful at times.
    *Touchscreen is really really not important. I can't emphasize how quickly you get over this. Shrug it off right now.

And specific to me:
    -The headset jack being at the top is so nice.
    -Mortscript works just fine
    -I hate antennas, so hoorah!
    -Mini USB charging/syncing means I got plenty of cables at work & at home to charge with, and if I went missing, I could always stop by a radioshack/BB/etc to get a generic one.
    -Styletap means I can play Bike or Die on this, and it works great!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast