Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Okay - I'm on my 5th Treo. I walked in the store, and they know me so well, they put my name at the top of the list, and told me I was next to see a technician. I don't think the other 3 people waiting in line liked that too much. I walk up to the tech, who was the same person that helped me yesterday. He looked at me, and before I could say anything, he yells to the techs in the back "I need a brand new Treo 700W - in the box - now!" He programs my phone, and I walk out. Whole thing took about 8minutes - which is a new record for Sprint. Hopefully this one works the way it should. My first 700W worked perfect - until the headset jack went bad. I think I'm going to try a BT headset. I'm still trying to find the right one. I've been through 5 of them already. If anyone has any suggestions on a good BT headset, let me know.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I'm also 'testing' a Q, however this one is for Verizon.

*The battery life could still use some improving. however, I recently purchased a new one on ebay and I have been training it (full drains), and have gotten a noticeable increase in battery life out of it.
    *No system-wide volume adjustment via hardware, must be controlled via profiles *boo*
    *Can't do nightly automated backups.
    *No threaded SMS available (not even the crappy .Net stuff, apparently MOL2 broke those)
    *Most applications won't work, though many apps have an equivalent smartphone variant.
    *The phone speaker is very good, but I find they sometimes have trouble hearing me. But that's the less important than me hearing them The speaker is also great for music, if you play it off the Q it sounds surprisingly good.
    *As for slingbox, I find that while it looks nice full screen, the battery hit it takes makes me uncomfortable. But beyond that, there's slight desync in the audio/video because it appears to put too much strain on the device. That's my impression anyway.
    *I don't think I like the keyboard, I seem to make more mistakes. It's better than not having one I guess. Treo's word completion is much less intrusive and better performing. The default completion software on the Q is so slow I had to turn it off, my sentences were always missing letters in random places.

But the truth is the longer I stay with the Q, the more I want to keep it

*The screen, as Mal mentions, is just fantastic. And it being wider makes it really good for web browsing.
    *Soooo light and THIN! The weight and size of the device just seems impossible.
    *home screens are a delight
    *Camera has an LED Flash that can be helpful at times.
    *Touchscreen is really really not important. I can't emphasize how quickly you get over this. Shrug it off right now.

And specific to me:
    -The headset jack being at the top is so nice.
    -Mortscript works just fine
    -I hate antennas, so hoorah!
    -Mini USB charging/syncing means I got plenty of cables at work & at home to charge with, and if I went missing, I could always stop by a radioshack/BB/etc to get a generic one.
    -Styletap means I can play Bike or Die on this, and it works great!
    That was most informative g-funkster, thanks!
    -Styletap means I can play Bike or Die on this, and it works great!
    g-funkster - Have you used Styletap with any other POS apps? If so, what have your experiences been? For us longtime POS users, with significant investment in POS apps, replicating those apps in WM versions might be a barrier-to-entry should we desire to otherwise switch to WM.
    As for Styletap, I would only use it when critically necessary, as is the case with my game, there simply is no alternative. I would otherwise recommend you seek WM5 specific versions of software.

Screens are normally scaled down to 160x160 and are centered on the screen (not stretched). So nothing ever looks great, but things work. Also, the 1 handed navigation of controls is not built into styletap, so even if your application in POS is 1 handed enabled, you'll still have to use the virtual cursor to navigate through them on the Q. You can tap the screen when using the 700w though.

here's a compatibility list (kinda old): http://styletap.helpserve.com/index....barticleid=219 and http://styletap.com/applications.php
    Great info g-funkster. Thanks. Just a couple questions...

Does anyone know of a good financial management program for smartphone? (i.e. pocket quicken.) That is the only function that I think I would miss from my 700wx.

Also, the main reason I am considering going from 700wx to Q is for bluetooth dialing. I loved using VC with my 6700... so my question is two-fold for this... does the Q do well with the bluetooth VC (I know it is supported)? And, does anyone know if there is any hope for hacking the 700wx to use the BT VC from the 750?

TIA.

Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by rwalls3 View Post

Does anyone know of a good financial management program for smartphone? (i.e. pocket quicken.) That is the only function that I think I would miss from my 700wx.

Also, the main reason I am considering going from 700wx to Q is for bluetooth dialing. I loved using VC with my 6700... so my question is two-fold for this... does the Q do well with the bluetooth VC (I know it is supported)? And, does anyone know if there is any hope for hacking the 700wx to use the BT VC from the 750?

TIA.

Ryan
    the 750bt has been hacked to death. people have tried everything. I don't see much hope for it unless it comes from palm in the rom update. I am waiting on this update my self. if I can't get bt dialing on this 700wx by this summer I will be moving on. got to have it. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwalls3 View Post

TIA.

Ryan
    The popular finance program that I'm aware of for SP is XS Finance. It does do QIF import.

From my experience, the built in BT dialing works very well. BT overall is very good on the Q.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    g - "nighly automated backups" - I just bought Sprite and did the initial backup. It appears to have the capability to set up a daily backup at a specific time. Will it not do this on its own? Is there some manual intervention one must do? Not had time to read the manual yet. Thanks....
    I should have clarified; If the Q is charging (which I do while I sleep) it won't restart, it gets stuck on the charging screen pre-boot. So while Sprite will kick in, it needs to restart the device to perform the backup, so it just gets stuck at that point.
    I should have clarified; If the Q is charging (which I do while I sleep) it won't restart, it gets stuck on the charging screen pre-boot. So while Sprite will kick in, it needs to restart the device to perform the backup, so it just gets stuck at that point.
    That's what I thought. Gotta remember that..... thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12