Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Just saw this on PocketPCThoughts and thought (no pun intended) that you guys would chime in. Basically phonescoop experienced many dropped calls.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/r...index.php?p=o3

Look under the Signal heading.
    No problems with phone calls here, no dropped calls yet and it's been a couple of weeks. call quality is great, sometimes I just have to make sure I put the speaker of the ear.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
    No problems with phone calls here, no dropped calls yet and it's been a couple of weeks. call quality is great, sometimes I just have to make sure I put the speaker of the ear.

I have a feeling that is has to do with certain tower settings (or threshold) and how that interacts with the 750 in certain markets.
    Interesting that in the US the 750 is on Cingular/att, who advertises they have the fewest dropped calls.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I've only had it about 4 days, but call quality is great and no dropped calls so far. It has locked up on me a couple of times, though and the outlook calendar is painfully slow moving from day to day. I hope they come out with a patch soon to fix this. Either that or I have too much junk installed on it. lol
    Palm III -> Palm m105 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 600 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 650 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 680 -> Cingular Treo 750 (now unlocked!)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    though and the outlook calendar is painfully slow moving from day to day.
    I would think 24 hours would be acceptible for the calendar to switch days, lol.
    Well I am not in a 3G area so maybe that's why it works good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I have a feeling that is has to do with certain tower settings (or threshold) and how that interacts with the 750 in certain markets.
    I experienced my first couple of dropped calls in the span of a few minutes in a well covered area.

Most likely the well publicized 3g to 2g voice drop issue.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I have owned this for about 1.5 months I have never ever experienced even a single drop out with Vodafone in Sydney. (but I do use the phone in 2g mode to conserve battery, when I need to access the net I turn the phone into 3g and back into 2g when done)
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1lejunkie View Post
    I have owned this for about 1.5 months I have never ever experienced even a single drop out with Vodafone in Sydney. (but I do use the phone in 2g mode to conserve battery, when I need to access the net I turn the phone into 3g and back into 2g when done)
    Right. I shouldn't have to set the phone back and forth just to avoid voice-call drops. There most certainly is a problem.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I haven't had problems with the 3G<-->2G switches. I think some areas are more developed than others with the handoff thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I haven't had problems with the 3G<-->2G switches. I think some areas are more developed than others with the handoff thing.
    Have you specifically paid attention to what type of data zone you were in while traveling and on the phone? I wouldn't have noticed this evening if I wasn't in the car on the phone when I was traveling right at the point where I know the signal changes from my daily commute.
    how do you switch from 2g to 3 g? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    well i have had mine for about a month now and no drop calls so far...it could be the area that PS tested it in...
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Have you specifically paid attention to what type of data zone you were in while traveling and on the phone? I wouldn't have noticed this evening if I wasn't in the car on the phone when I was traveling right at the point where I know the signal changes from my daily commute.
    Yes, I know in some areas I revert back to GSM then back into UMTS where I live. I've been on the phone many times and have seen this happen. Make a call in UMTS, it'll stay for a bit, then GSM switch, then back again. Haven't really had an issue with it. Some areas are probably better developed than others.
    I live in Dallas and i'm experiencing real difficulties with dropped calls.
    I've had mine drop several calls in the week I've owned it. The drops have mostly occurred in Los Angeles and southern Orange County. I would also be interested in learning how to select 2G or 3G manually.
    Phone settings, Services tab, Band Selection, Select network type popup menu at the top. Settings are Auto, GSM, UMTS. Selecting GSM will be 2G only, Selecting UMTS will be 3G only, Auto lets it switch.

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt View Post
    I've had mine drop several calls in the week I've owned it. The drops have mostly occurred in Los Angeles and southern Orange County. I would also be interested in learning how to select 2G or 3G manually.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Has anyone noticed if the drops occur when going into UMTS--I think mine only occur when leaving UMTS--but they do happen.

The good news is that soon UMTS coverage should be broader and more consistent and when you do have UMTS I think (although not sure) that call quality is improved. When I was discussing this phone with one of my work techs he told me that UMTS was improved because of its higher frequency and fewer users in that frequency.
    No offense but I don't think your tech understands all the factors.

UMTS uses a higher frequency. The effect of this is that when you go into a building, your UMTS signal will drop much more rapidly than a 850MHz GSM signal. I have seen this already. It also means in marginal areas it will drop much quicker. I have seen this already myself. Cingular's map shows UMTS blanketing my area, but there are far more areas where you can't get a UMTS signal than you can.

UMTS is good, but higher frequencies isn't necessarily (clearer signal, less coverage). The number of users only matters in getting system busy signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Has anyone noticed if the drops occur when going into UMTS--I think mine only occur when leaving UMTS--but they do happen.

The good news is that soon UMTS coverage should be broader and more consistent and when you do have UMTS I think (although not sure) that call quality is improved. When I was discussing this phone with one of my work techs he told me that UMTS was improved because of its higher frequency and fewer users in that frequency.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680