1.    #1  
    Respectively.

We got a new naming convention, looks like Treos are about to become Windows Mobile Professional devices:

http://www.pocketinfo.nl/artikel/730...ws-mobile.html

* Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone: Windows Mobile 6 Standard
    * Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition:Windows Mobile 6 Professional
    * Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC: Windows Mobile 6 Classic
    Fancy that. I kinda like the professional nomenclature for Pocket PC, but I think it's a little misleading to label one standard & professional seeing as there's still quite a disconnect between the two platforms, software wise.
    Humm, how about:

Windows Mobile for devices we don't care about anymore
    Windows Mobile for devices without a touch screen
    Windows Mobile for devices with a touch screen and cost more

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    bcaslis - good one, particularly since your avatar is overpriced-hype (at least at this time). At some point, it will be overpriced-fashion statement on a sloooow network.

(This from a guy who worked for Apple for 8 years)
    I think this concept will work, except stand alone PDAs aren't popular anymore, are they?

I see people using these 2:
    * Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone: Windows Mobile 6 Standard
    * Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition: Windows Mobile 6 Professional

Because that's all people use now, Smartphone or PPC for Phones.

I cannot get rid of an iPAQ I never used. No one seems interested and it's brand new in the box. I bet if it had a phone, someone would have jumped on it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Does this really make it easier for people to determine the differences between PPC and smartphone to non-geeks? So this is basically an interim name until Microsoft finally gets ppc and smartphone into one category? This is just like Vista Basic, Vista Ultimate, Vista Professional, Vista Amateur, Vista sorta? Too confusing for the common folk.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Does this really make it easier for people to determine the differences between PPC and smartphone to non-geeks? So this is basically an interim name until Microsoft finally gets ppc and smartphone into one category? This is just like Vista Basic, Vista Ultimate, Vista Professional, Vista Amateur, Vista sorta? Too confusing for the common folk.
    Exactly. The average person will be just as confused as before. However, I'd argue that will always be the case as long as there are different operating systems. In fact, I'd bet if you asked the average person what OS was on their work PC they wouldn't be able to tell you beyond, "Microsoft". Jimmie's suggestion is the only one that would truly resonate for people. Too bad they would never resort to something like that.
    Anyone want to bet they will rebrand it again for WM7?
  8.    #8  
    They're sorta naming it in a way suggesting that they're related in the same manner as Vista basic, premium, etc. But as we know, most applications won't run on both types of devices in this case, whereas compatibility in Windows versions is probably like 99%.

..There will be more confusion for sure, but I'm glad 'Smartphone' is going away, because everything out there is classified Smartphone, including Palm OS devices. It's been irritating owning the Q because the naming of its OS makes it very difficult to use google to try and find something specific for it.
    this thread inspired me to write this at my site (thanks)

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2007/01/wh...ts-naming.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Is Microsoft still planning to combine ppc and smartphone, aka professional and standard into one version? How many different names have they come up with for virtually the same product? Sorry if I've missed any,lol.
    Palm PC
    Handheld PC
    Pocket PC
    Windows Mobile Pocket PC
    Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition
    Windows Mobile Smartphone Edition
    Windows Mobile 6 Standard
    Windows Mobile 6 Professional
    Windows Mobile 6 Classic
    Jimmie Geddes
    Geez, awfully testy there. It's not like I insulted you or something. I guess the smiley at the end was too much for you to grasp.

The point being that new names aren't really any less confusing. My point was if your product is going to be a sentence anyways how about one that spells it.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    bcaslis - good one, particularly since your avatar is overpriced-hype (at least at this time). At some point, it will be overpriced-fashion statement on a sloooow network.

(This from a guy who worked for Apple for 8 years)
    Classic. What does "Classic" connote, anyway - a ringtone ripped from a Bell Princess phone perhaps?
    Crossbow is going to be the last Microsoft OS that differentiates between the 2 types of devices. They still plan on WM7 to be one OS, with smartphone and pocketpc sharing the same operating system. I believe this is why they changed the classifications of the devices, so that the average consumer can start to liken the two, instead of seperating them. Besides, WM6 is not much different than 5, other than some bug fixes and visual upgrades. It is a little faster also, but structure wise its exactly the same. WM7 is going to be the real 'new' OS.
    I've been hearing that the smartphone and PPC versions of WM could be combined in the "next release" ever since they were first released. Now it's WM7 that they will be combined in, wasn't WM6 supposed to be it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I've been hearing that the smartphone and PPC versions of WM could be combined in the "next release" ever since they were first released. Now it's WM7 that they will be combined in, wasn't WM6 supposed to be it?
    They are currently converging sharply. Smartphone is getting pocket Office for example. PPC got soft keys in WM5. It looks like Smartphone WM6 is getting screen rotation. They run at the same QVGA resolution.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Crossbow is going to be the last Microsoft OS that differentiates between the 2 types of devices. They still plan on WM7 to be one OS, with smartphone and pocketpc sharing the same operating system. I believe this is why they changed the classifications of the devices, so that the average consumer can start to liken the two, instead of seperating them. Besides, WM6 is not much different than 5, other than some bug fixes and visual upgrades. It is a little faster also, but structure wise its exactly the same. WM7 is going to be the real 'new' OS.
    Don't worry they will change the name again by that time. Maybe the Windows Mobile will be called "Xbox Mobile" and the PocketPC version will be called "Zune Pocket Live".
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Geez, awfully testy there. It's not like I insulted you or something. I guess the smiley at the end was too much for you to grasp.

The point being that new names aren't really any less confusing. My point was if your product is going to be a sentence anyways how about one that spells it.
    b - my apologies - I was just being a smart a$$!
    No problem, sorry if I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    b - my apologies - I was just being a smart a$$!