Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The battery is going down so rapidly is because its keeping the data connection alive with the network. ActiveSync, POP Email and what does not turn off automatically like on the older versions (might be a bug in this one) so its draining the battery rapidly.

After a user here recommended a software package I downloaded this software and it turns off the connection at a specified time after it was needed. And it does work. ActiveSync checks, 1 min later it turned off. I set it to 1 min and my battery only went down 15% in one day total, so it still had 85% left from 9am to 11pm at night. Before it wouldn't last half a day.

Here is the software I used.
    http://www.gb-soft.cz/XDAII/product_...k_wm5pe_en.htm
    Last edited by pimpin-tl; 01/29/2007 at 08:45 AM.
    Link no good.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTrey View Post
    Link no good.
    Try this

I've used this software in the past for my HTC Wizard, and it works great. All it does is disconnect GPRS at set timeout duration.
  4.    #4  
    That's it. Thanks sooby.
    How will this affect my Exchange push email?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2 View Post
    Based on my knowledge of how Direct Push works it will most likely not allow for "as items arrive" capability. It requires a continuous "ping" connection from device to exchange server via http. If this software disconnects the ping connection then I dont think it will work properly. You will probably still get all Exchange items on the device but not instantly when they arrive.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Try this

I've used this software in the past for my HTC Wizard, and it works great. All it does is disconnect GPRS at set timeout duration.
    Does it apply for UMTS connections as well?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2 View Post
    I use exchange, and pop. It doesn't affect it at all. When ActiveSync wants to connect or push it will connect immediately and pull the messages down.

Push email receives a text message from the exchange server and then the phone hits it to pull the message down.

At least thats what I understand. I have my phone setup to check the server every 5 minutes though since I didn't want to get charged for text messages. But I will put it into as they come in to test real fast for you right now.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin-tl View Post
    Push email receives a text message from the exchange server and then the phone hits it to pull the message down.
    That does not sound right!
  10.    #10  
    Okay, looks like the DATA connection is kept alive so it will drain the battery this way. Just set it to every 5 - 10 minutes to check your email and it will make a large difference in battery life with this program.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    That does not sound right!
    Well that is per other Exchange experts I have talked too.

But what I am seeing is that the connection is alive constantly with this feature on (as they arrive) and it will disconnect but then its immediately reconnected again. So that tells me it keeps a constant connection to the exchange server and waits for the ping to hit. Not what I like at all. That kills the battery.
    For Direct Push to work properly, the ping connection must remain constant without interruption. Otherwise you will not receive items "as they arrive." Sure, syncing every 5, 10, or etc. minutes will work fine but this is not considered Direct Push. Direct Push refers to the "as items arrive" schedule. The SMS "text" notification you refer to is the old method for Exchange ActiveSync.

My experience is that the Synching process is what kills the battery the most and the constant ping connection hurts it less. My battery (I receive Exchange items “as they arrive”) easily lasts for one day and on days with less Exchange activity (hence less syncs) it lasts even longer. That is the advantage of Direct Push, if you do not have a new item to sync then ActiveSync does not sync.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Well that is per other Exchange experts I have talked too.

But what I am seeing is that the connection is alive constantly with this feature on (as they arrive) and it will disconnect but then its immediately reconnected again. So that tells me it keeps a constant connection to the exchange server and waits for the ping to hit. Not what I like at all. That kills the battery.

That is indeed incorrect. The SMS Push was the workaround before the true push was made available by Exchange SP2. True push nowadays (with Exchange SP2) keeps the connection alive.

If you disconnect it using that utility, your push won't work well as the server can't "push" to your device. The server sends a message to your device, causing activesync to activate on your phone to begin syncing. That's how push work on WM5 devices.
    Last edited by sooby77; 01/29/2007 at 12:10 PM.
  14.    #14  
    I wasn't incorrect since that is the way it use to work.

Push will cause you to keep a constant connection, and it will cause your battery to drain fast. Mine did when I had it originally in that mode, now its fine.
    Hello, I go to thwe site and i down load the cab file, and when I install it on the device, I dont see the icon that is in the screen shot, the program is no where to be found? can anybody help plz...Thanks, Carlos
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelauz02 View Post
    Hello, I go to thwe site and i down load the cab file, and when I install it on the device, I dont see the icon that is in the screen shot, the program is no where to be found? can anybody help plz...Thanks, Carlos
    Try Start-->Settings-->System
    It sounds like your Exchange server is not running SP2 if you are having to manual sync at a specified duration in order to save money by not receiving text messages. Actually, I think you are combining the old method of SMS texts with the new method of constant "inactive" ping connection in your description of this problem. If your solution works for you, then great.

I prefer to receive emails when they come in rather than sync my phone over and over all day long, it just seems kind of “low tech.” Additionally, I am pretty sure that if I sync my phone every five minutes from 9am to 11pm my battery would be dead by noon whether or not I drop the connection in between syncs. Do you make any phone calls?
  18.    #18  
    I had a issue with the cab file not working either. I just downloaded the actual .cpl file and copied it into the windows folder. Then I ran it from that folder and configured it exactly the way those screen shots are on the website. Once I did that, I did a soft-reset on the Treo and it works .
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I wasn't incorrect since that is the way it use to work.

Push will cause you to keep a constant connection, and it will cause your battery to drain fast. Mine did when I had it originally in that mode, now its fine.
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. But the point remains, true push does not rely on SMS. You can always force to GSM instead of UMTS (so I've read) and see if battery life improves.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarrett View Post
    It sounds like your Exchange server is not running SP2 if you are having to manual sync at a specified duration in order to save money by not receiving text messages. Actually, I think you are combining the old method of SMS texts with the new method of constant "inactive" ping connection in your description of this problem. If your solution works for you, then great.

I prefer to receive emails when they come in rather than sync my phone over and over all day long, it just seems kind of “low tech.” Additionally, I am pretty sure that if I sync my phone every five minutes from 9am to 11pm my battery would be dead by noon whether or not I drop the connection in between syncs. Do you make any phone calls?

I guess you didn't read what I said. We are running SP2, and I can have it sync automatically but it keeps a active connection because of the PING method. This kills the battery. No need to keep a active connection. 5-10min check times is good enough for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast