1.    #1  
    I'm considering a Mac as my new computer. I've come to appreciate the integration of my PC and ActiveSync, easy installation of apps, and seamlessness of Outlook with Exchange. Yet the siren song of a virus-free, trojan free computing experience is appealing. Can someone with a Mac, or someone who has decided against a Mac please comment on compatibility issues?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    i'm not sure if macs and windows mobile/pocket pc works well together. I did not want to pay the $40 for missing sync? so i bought a 680 rather than a 750.

You might have some luck with missing sync? or some SyncML service? or just run windows inside parallelis/VMware and get your windows mobile to sync with that.
    I have considered going Mac, but the lack of support for new technology, pda, and other things always pushes me back to PC.

Software is there, but costly.
    And there are things I find easy to do on PC, that are harder on the Mac).

And there is the cost as well.

Anyway, not trying to start a raging mac vs. pc argument, but pda compatility and other functions are a significant decision factor.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    it would be a step backward... vista does wonders with smart phones - going to back you would probably have more problems than with xp.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I have considered going Mac, but the lack of support for new technology, pda, and other things always pushes me back to PC.

Software is there, but costly.
    And there are things I find easy to do on PC, that are harder on the Mac).

And there is the cost as well.

Anyway, not trying to start a raging mac vs. pc argument, but pda compatility and other functions are a significant decision factor.
    I'm leaning in this direction, for the same reasons. But there's a new utility, called Crossover http://www.codeweavers.com/products/ ($59) that will allow me to run my most often-used PC apps without having to install the Windows OS VM (Parallels).

So I was hoping that ActiveSync over Exchange would work with Entourage, and all I'd need to spring for would be Missing Sync http://www.markspace.com/
    I'm a Mac user and I use Missing Sync to sync my 700wx. I switched from Windows 2 years ago and my iMac G5 is still running strong. I haven't encountered any hardships when trying to load software or do anything with my 700wx and Mac. There is the odd occasion that I will need to use Windows for something but that's why I have Virtual PC (can't use Crossover as I don't have an Intel mac).
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt View Post
    it would be a step backward... vista does wonders with smart phones - going to back you would probably have more problems than with xp.
    I'm curious to know what Vista does (certainly an important consideration)...
    My Macs + WM5 + Missing Sync = best of all worlds. I love my Macs and you couldn't pry them from my cold, dead hands, but I also love having a good smartphone platform and the Palm OS ain't it. There are some applications that you can't install using the Missing Sync, but you can install Windows in any number of ways if you've got an Intel Mac. Bootcamp is the most native. Parallels works for most purposes. There's also VMWare and the aforementioned Crossover. PM me if you need any assistance.

In short, my 700wx and my Mac are very happy with one another. So I'm happy with them.

edit: of note, I'm typing this on my MacBook while using Firefox under Windows XP in Bootcamp.
    I love Missing Sync for WM. It works great! Flawless integration with Address Book, iCal, etc. Works excellent.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    im about to buy the new imac today. will missingsync sync my calendar, tasks, notes and such to ical? also does ical com standard with the system?

is my worst case scenario downloading bootcamp and buying vista.

i really wanna switch to mac and this is the only problem i could come up with.