1.    #1  
    Hi all...
    Just need some advice from you all out there. I need one of the best hand writing recognition software for my treo 750v. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Thats without doubt Calligrapher from PhatWare. A limited version of their software is included on your Treo in the form of Transcriber.
    http://www.phatware.com/calligrapher/

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Surur for the advice. Will check into that since our treo doesn't come with it. Once again thanks
    I have used Calligrapher for years on several PPC's. It's a heavy and bloated application. See if Transcriber works for you first before looking into Calligrapher.

Just my .02.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if Transcriber comes on the 750, but it doesn't come on the 700Wx.
    I've been using Calligrapher on mine and it works well, although it is a bit bloated.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks JGold. Just download and install in my 750V and it works very well on my notes. Its awesome yet its free too.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Forgot that you can download a version from MS.
    Here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Also, keep in mind that Calligrapher is supposedly a much more accurate program for handwriting recognition, especially since it's a couple or few versions beyond the basic version that Transcriber utilizes.

And, by the way, can someone tell me how much memory (space and running RAM) Transcriber uses after it's installed?
    My CalliGrapher folder seems to take up 1.97 MBs installed on my machine.
    While it seems to use 363.88 MBs of RAM when running in the background.

Thanks.
    Last edited by xdalaw; 01/28/2007 at 10:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    bump.
    Calligrapher 8.x was a problem. It broke the SMS app and only a hard reset corrected the problem this was a bitter pill to swallow as it reverts the phone back to its original condition, requiring the re-installation of all the 3rd party apps and the re-synching of all outlook data items (email,contacts appointments etc. Phatware's tech support is also unimpressive, (very slow to respond) and appears to be unaware of the issue with the Treo 750.

I am not a programmer but it appears that some of the other handwriting apps for the pocket pc that have been tried were not really tested on the 750 so they are often problematic.

Transcriber from the Microsoft website is what I am currently using and while not perfect, it works at least with Notes. Other offcie mobile apps do not appear to work, as one cannot select Transcriber as the input method...it reverts to keyboard. But I have to admit, the basic functionality is appreciated as it certainly beats nothing...
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnssupport View Post
    Calligrapher 8.x was a problem. It broke the SMS app and only a hard reset corrected the problem this was a bitter pill to swallow as it reverts the phone back to its original condition, requiring the re-installation of all the 3rd party apps and the re-synching of all outlook data items (email,contacts appointments etc. Phatware's tech support is also unimpressive, (very slow to respond) and appears to be unaware of the issue with the Treo 750.

I am not a programmer but it appears that some of the other handwriting apps for the pocket pc that have been tried were not really tested on the 750 so they are often problematic.

Transcriber from the Microsoft website is what I am currently using and while not perfect, it works at least with Notes. Other offcie mobile apps do not appear to work, as one cannot select Transcriber as the input method...it reverts to keyboard. But I have to admit, the basic functionality is appreciated as it certainly beats nothing...
    Interesting. Calligrapher doesn't seem to cause any probs on my 700Wx, including on the threaded SMS app. (Thankfully, as I love that program.)
    t's a miracle! Bible reader from OliveTree fixed Microsoft Transcriber. I installed Bible Reader from Olive Tree - (Olive Tree - BibleReader for Pocket PC (PPC)) as well as the American Standard Version of the bible and miraculaously after the installation I opened "Word" to type down something and I noticed a strange looking icon which I hadn't seen b4. On selecting it I learned that it was the long lost Transcriber functionality which I had been trying to get working for some time in this app. I tried Transcriber after having no luck with other handwriting applications. It worked in Notes but not in any other apps. Well I am happy to report that it appears to now work in all apps! Whatever files Biblereader installed or whatever configuration changes it made seemed to have resolved Transcribers problems.

So what do thinks folks,is it just luck or divine intervention? All I can say is I am happy with both Bible Reader and Transcriber. They both work exactly as described, and both are free!

Hallelulia and thank God!

"Live long and prosper.....but do it with kindness and compassion" - Spock and Browne
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Glad it all worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnssupport View Post
    I am curious about this. I also had some conflicts with Calligrapher and SMS. What specifically happened to you?