1.    #1  
    I posted this in the HSDPA thread and didn't get any response so I'm creating a separate thread in hopes of getting answers to my questions.

Have any of you who have gotten HSDPA working on your 750 used it tethered to a laptop? If so:

- How tethered? (BT or cable?)
    - Speeds achieved upload and down? (BT or cable)
    - Make/model of laptop?

Thanks in advance.
    I have only tried BT connection to MacBook Pro, I think BT 1.0 has a speed limit of around 20-24kbps. So thats about what I got... Havent tried USB yet, but sure ill hit that limitation as well.

My HSDPA Speeds have been great! Top speed I tested was 11200kbps at dslreports.com/mspeed, but I average around 800-900kbps.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your response! Your HSDPA speeds sound amazing!! That makes for fast browsing, multimedia, etc. on the Treo (which is good) but are you saying that you can't harness that speed for use on your laptop due to limitations on the Treo. I'm seriously considering getting a 750, but would be really disappointed to only be able to get HSDPA speeds on the Treo and not on a laptop tethered to it.

Anyone else had the same experience?
  4.    #4  
    Apparently you can't tether HSDPA.

What a shame....
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    From what I've read HSDPA has not been fully implemented on the networks. There will be an update once the cell phones catch up to the HSPDA towers.
    the limitations are not a treo limit as much as the speed of bluetooth and usb. usb will be faster 400 - 800kbps usb 1 and usb 2 respectivly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    the limitations are not a treo limit as much as the speed of bluetooth and usb. usb will be faster 400 - 800kbps usb 1 and usb 2 respectivly.
    You will not hit a limitation of USB 2.0 with this bandwidth (or just about any other). According to the wiki 2.0 sports a Hi-Speed rate of up to 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22 View Post
    You will not hit a limitation of USB 2.0 with this bandwidth (or just about any other). According to the wiki 2.0 sports a Hi-Speed rate of up to 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
    That's correct... Even USB 1 is around 1.5Mbps and thats faster then most will ever get with HSDPA (For now). Treo Specs just show USB which normally means USB 1.0/1.1, would be nice to have USB 2 for syncing my large contact database, but who knows if the Treo processor could even keep up.

Kevin
  9.    #9  
    Thank you for the info on USB capabilities, but I'm looking for real world, actual usage, as opposed to what it "can do".

Interstink (or anyone else with HSDPA enabled), would you mind USB tethering your 750 and seeing what it actually does?

Thanks in advance!
    How long has anyone gotten bluetooth tethering to work (even without HSDPA)? I've been trying this with my MacBook Pro and typically anywhere from 5 minutes to 12 minutes, the Treo goes brain dead on the bluetooth connection. There is still a connection to network, and between the MacBook Pro and the Treo but no data will flow no matter what. It seems after a certain amount of data or time the bluetooth on the Treo just dies. Disconnecting after this happens sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't it seems the bluetooth is basically frozen and a soft reset if needed.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Real World Experience:

BLUETOOTH:
    When tethered via. Bluetooth my speed averages around 20 - 35 KB/s. (Thats around 200Kbps - 250Kbps). More then fast enough to get some REAL work done online.

USB:
    I have not tried USB tethering, but if you can connect via. USB, you should see FULL speed of your Cingular HSDPA service as if you were on the device itself, maybe slightly slower but not by much.

NOTE... this is a wireless cellular signal so signal varies and is not meant for a full time connection to the Internet no matter how unlimited your Cingular Data plan is. Its just not designed for that at all. Even the PCMCIA Data cards are not used for an always on (DSL/Cable replacement for home service) connections.

Attached is a screen shot doing a mobile speed test on my Notebook Browser while tethered via. Bluetooth. ps. I have only used tethered data for about 30 minutes, no problems staying connected. I am using my old iPAQ Modem script for the Macbook Pro (I also have tried the script for Treo 750, but not on this machine).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have tethered through the USB cable. I am not getting HSDPA speeds. I get UMTS speeds. When I look at my device, I see the large U that is on when you are just using voice and not connected to the internet. When I try to manually connect my device to the internet (by activating Internet Explorer), the device connects and I get HSDPA speeds, but it drops my DUN connection to the laptop.

So what I think is happening is that DUN runs through the UMTS voice connection to transfer data but not the UMTS data connection that can be reved to HSDPA.

Is there a way to fix this? Is that why one should buy PDANet?

Will PDANet allow you to achieve this?

No one has really tried to answer why anyone would buy PDANet if they can already manually use DUN with the Treo 750.