1.    #1  
    Yes, I've searched, and yes, I do my best in researching my questions before posting...but I would sincerely appreciate some honest responses....

1.) How can I establish global hotkeys (specifically speed dials) like I could w/ Butler? AEButtonsPlus seems close which I might just settle with.

2.) Although I hated VersaMail, Outlook isn't much better. How can you delete emails off the server remotely after moving them to the trash? (so only certain emails get deleted). How do you remove the "Outlook E-Mail" account since all emails will come OTA and not via ActiveSync. I'm actually open to a better mail client for WM5, ideas? I haven't found one that compares to Chatter (heck even VersaMail).

3.) How do you setup the LED to change color depending on the alert. Butler enabled me to set a color for voicemail, etc.

4.) Do you recommend mRing from MotionApps for ringtones based on contact category?

5.) I'm a bit confused on how WM5 is laid out. WM5 is in ROM, so on a hard reset, its defaulted. I understand that I cannot remove apps without flashing a custom ROM (which I'm sure will come...), however can I hide apps that are included? In PalmOS I could use Zlauncher or RescoExplorer and hide the ROM apps that I didin't want.

6.) When will the KeyCaps replacement for WM5 be released? (QCaps).

7.) And finally, 2 stupid questions, how do you actually use the predictive text in WM5? And like TextPlus, how can I see more then one predictable word (what about 5 if available?). I found the option for 4 words instead of one but I'm still wondering how to select words it suggests "on-the-fly".

8.) Can I delete the "My ISP" and the "My Work Network" -- I plan on doing everything OTA. I'm just a bit confused why these exist (probably for connecting via ActiveSync).

9.) I must get a "select network hack" for WM5. My coverage is horrible because a weak Cingular signal overrides some 3rd party towers which are down the street. This is rather important and extremely frustrating.

Thanks in advance; TC has been wonderful over the years...
    Dale
    Last edited by netdale; 01/27/2007 at 10:08 PM.
    #1) I don't totally understand the question. Could you give an example? You want to set up say a hardware key to be a quick dial?
    For quick dials, you know you can set each key on the keyboard to be a different quick dial shortcut (like hold "H" for 'home', hold "S" for "suzi", hold "B" for bank, etc.)

#2) Try FlexMail 2007 by WebIs http://www.webis.net/products_info.php?p_id=mail&dir=wm It's the best and really the ONLY 3rd party email solution. One thing I was most shocked at when I moved to WM was the shortage of email programs. I had assumed there would be more choices, not less, than on Palm OS. FlexMail does just about everything a person should want.
    I don't use it, and I can't remember the few reasons why except 1. It takes over Pocket outlook's today plug-in. But I also use XPress Mail in addition setting up pop & IMAP accounts. XPress Mail uses the outlook accounts, and since FlexMail won't show the XPress Mail account, I can't really use it.
    I would like if they included thier own today plug in so it wouldn't interfere with pocket outlook in ways like this.
    Give it a shot.

#3) I don't know. I am actually happy with the default LED behavior. Give PhoneAlarm a look if you haven't already. It offers a whole pleathera of alert choices.

#4) <shrug> I dunno.

#5) You can hide built in apps. Here's what you do:
    a) Lauch "File Exlorer"
    b) Select "Menu" and check "Show All Files"
    c) Navigate to /Windows/Start Menu/, In here and the sub directory "programs", these are all the 'shortcut' icons that appear in the main menu as well as the programs group. You can simply delete these, or cut them and paste them to a location of your chosing to save them as a backup. If you delete these icons, you won't see them anymore.

#6) I don't know

#7) I don't know if there's a way to get predictive text to work better. Sorry, I barely use it as it is. I just type until I see my choice and click the word. I'm not sure it gets better than this.

#8) "My ISP" and "My Work Network" are just two wireless connection profiles. They are equivalent to Prefs>Network Stetings in Palm OS. My ISP contains at least 1 'modem' connection which is the cingular connection setting. You need this if you want to connect to the internet.
    There is also one for connecting to work because WM is set up to be able to connect via VPN or a proxy to a work location for activesync, but to the internet directly for the rest of your operations.
    I just set both settings under 'network management' to "My ISP" since I don't use separate work and internet profiles.

#9) Appearently I'm on the hot seet to deliver a manual nework select hack since I helped deliver the one for the 650. But it isn't going to be easy. All I can say it it won't be any time soon but I AM working on it.

Well I hope I was able to help at least a little. I know it's not all of the answers you're looking for. WM has been disappointing to me in many ways. Mostly the availability and quality of the applications available for it as compared to PalmOS. On the other hand I love WM5 in many other ways as it does many things that my Palm OS devices could never do.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate your honest responses; I too have been initially disappointed with lack of mature software for WM5.

#2) I will try FlexMail, it seems like a viable option against Outlook. So there is no way to delete mail off a server if moved to the trash? Can you remove the ActiveSync profile in Outlook?

#5) Thank You! I've been reading and reading and something so simple like this was never explained. Thanks. Any overviews of WM5? I've only found a WM5 sites but most don't explain the obvious... Does WM5 let you delete things to save memory? Or is everything is in ROM and is unable to be deleted? I've been told you can remove certain rings, etc but aren't those in ROM? So you can delete them but they are still stored on hard reset?

#6) I actually figured this one out of my own. If you click on the arrow next to the keyboard you can configure up to 4 words of predictive text. The bigger question is; how can you select the predictive text while typing without actually clicking on the word. With TextPlus I could use the 5-way to select the word.

#8) Ok, that makes sense. I've just struggled because I'm in a low coverage area and I continually receive a "the answering modem has disconnected.." error. Once I receive the error it isn't resolved until I power-cycle the radio.

#9) I've been told this is restricted by the SIM card. Is this true? Do people have 750's which actually have the option to select network? I recall with the 650 it was a firmware issue, not SIM limitation (or maybe both), so the overlay fixed the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale View Post

#8) Ok, that makes sense. I've just struggled because I'm in a low coverage area and I continually receive a "the answering modem has disconnected.." error. Once I receive the error it isn't resolved until I power-cycle the radio.
    Do you have the HSDPA hack installed? I got this a lot as well if I disconnected from the data connection then tried to reconnect. I hard reset yesterday and adding things back in one by one to see if I can find the culprit.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale View Post
    I appreciate your honest responses; I too have been initially disappointed with lack of mature software for WM5.

#2) I will try FlexMail, it seems like a viable option against Outlook. So there is no way to delete mail off a server if moved to the trash? Can you remove the ActiveSync profile in Outlook?
    When you empty deleted items from the 'deleted items' folder, they will be deleted from the server upon the next send/recieve.

In email select "menu"-"Tools"-"options"-"Storage"(Tab)
    Under "Empty Deleted Items:"
    Select "Immediately" or "On connect/disconnect"
    This will keep your email deleting from the server without you having to manually clear the deleted items folder.
    #5) Thank You! I've been reading and reading and something so simple like this was never explained. Thanks. Any overviews of WM5? I've only found a WM5 sites but most don't explain the obvious... Does WM5 let you delete things to save memory? Or is everything is in ROM and is unable to be deleted? I've been told you can remove certain rings, etc but aren't those in ROM? So you can delete them but they are still stored on hard reset?
    I suggest you go down to your local Barnes and Noble and pick up "Smartphone and Pocket PC; How-to guide".
    It's a special issue that was published by smartphone and pocketpc magazine, and I believe it's still on the new stands.
    It's also a good mag to subscribe to:
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/
    The web site has lots of info and blogs with tips. It's a great place to spend some time learning.
    Also http://www.howardforums.com/ forums, go to the "Pocket PC" forum. You might pick up a little info there as well as here.

You can also subscribe to electronic copies and back issues at http://www.zinio.com/ (as well as at the smartphone & pocketpc web site.)
    There is a pdf full user manual on the CD that came with the treo as well as palm.com's support site. If you haven't, give this a good cover-to cover read.

#6) I actually figured this one out of my own. If you click on the arrow next to the keyboard you can configure up to 4 words of predictive text. The bigger question is; how can you select the predictive text while typing without actually clicking on the word. With TextPlus I could use the 5-way to select the word.
    Sorry I don't know.

#9) I've been told this is restricted by the SIM card. Is this true? Do people have 750's which actually have the option to select network? I recall with the 650 it was a firmware issue, not SIM limitation (or maybe both), so the overlay fixed the problem.
    Wierd on #8. That sucks. I don't know a way around it from the sounds of your problem.

#9, yes, we all have restricted SIMs since 2002. Cingular has their SIMs set to lock it to automatic network selection. It's really an instruction in the SIM that tells the phone to lock itself to automatic. I helped figure out how to hack this on the Treo 650. I hope to hack the 750 (WM5) some day, but I'm not sure where to begin. I guess it would require me to actually spend some time trying for a change.
    Calling Cingular will have no luck either. They simply do not make SIMs any longer that have manual network select. I wish they would just make it an Over the Air programming thing that you could have tech support send you, but they can't even do it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G