Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What in the wide, wide world of sports is ActiveSync's problem?

I mean, I know we've been around and around this over and over again, but the 700w/wx has been out FOREVER and still ActiveSync will, whenever it feels like it, take a crap and require a hard reset in order to sync. No updated support from MS or Palm. It's enough to drive a person crazy.

I wish to God we weren't so #$^%*(# married to this life... it's almost enough to make me want another device... not really of course, I can't imagine life without this thing anymore.

But honestly, I know it's a moot point, I just needed to vent on the verge of another HR. Anyone else want to share the love (hate)?

Five, because that's how mad I am right now... haha
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    What in the wide, wide world of sports is ActiveSync's problem?

I mean, I know we've been around and around this over and over again, but the 700w/wx has been out FOREVER and still ActiveSync will, whenever it feels like it, take a crap and require a hard reset in order to sync. No updated support from MS or Palm. It's enough to drive a person crazy.

I wish to God we weren't so #$^%*(# married to this life... it's almost enough to make me want another device... not really of course, I can't imagine life without this thing anymore.

But honestly, I know it's a moot point, I just needed to vent on the verge of another HR. Anyone else want to share the love (hate)?

Five, because that's how mad I am right now... haha
    My calendar or email isn't syncing anymore either... what causes this and is the only fix to hard reset and then restore from a back up?

won't that just recreate my issue...
    -jscott
  3.    #3  
    Well, yes and no.

Thing is, something gets fouled up between the Treo and AS at some point, no matter how long things go well, and so far as I know, the only way to fix it is with a HR. It's not a pretty picture, but it has something to do with the interface. I think a lot of PPCs have one way of dealing with AS and the Treo does something else entirely.

I'm no expert, but I've had to do this several times, and it's seemingly the only thing that does anything positive. It's ridiculous. I'm about to do another one right now, wasting time when I should be relaxing at the end of a long day.
    END OF LINE
    i have had no problem what so ever with active sycn. i am currently using 4smartphone push email.
    I've been addicted to my PDA since my first Palm Pilot. (1996 or so)

My Palm OS devices never had any problems syncing or needing frequent resets.

When I got my 700W, I figured that this would be even better since I'm syncing Windows to Windows. Boy was I wrong.

I've lost important functionality that I had with Palm that activesync just doesn't offer and I do a backup EVERY DAY because of the occasional need to Hard reset because Activesync won't.

I've never been on the MS-Bashing Bandwagon, but I do think activesync sucks and WM5 isn't very stable in my 700W.

Very disappointing.
    No problem with sync as well
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    active sync sucks period! every time I sync...it says attention required...so after fiddle farting around with both my pc and my 700 it will finally sync...I was hoping that 4.5 beta would be better and while it seems faster than 4.2 it still gives me the same error messages. It really isnt ready for prime time or the mass general public...if you need an IT degree just to perform a simple sync, I gotta wonder how long Palm and Microsoft can continue to "treat" folks lilke this before we all say...what the @#$% and just jump ship to another device! I just dont know what yet!
    I understand you guys are upset and I would too if I were in your shoes. That being said, I have been a 700w owner for over a year now and have never had a problem sync'ing with a usb cable. Did have some via bluetooth but even that started working after the fact. It is my opinion that there is nothing currently better than a 700wx (not w mind you) with windows mobile 5. Again, just my 2 cents.
    Question: How many of you are attempting to synchronize with a laptop/docking station? I have definitely observed more problems around the office with laptops over PC's. A verizon tech even mentioned a known conflict going through docking stations. Not surprisingly my whole sales team uses laptops.

I tried the w last year and switched over to the p after two weeks mostly because of AS. What a joke.
    Last edited by pdxtreo; 01/25/2007 at 10:29 PM.
    I use Activesync entirely with a laptop, occasionally through my docking station at my office. No problems other than the occasional not-very-good-usb-connection, which I think is the metal contacts on my phone itself. But aside from that its fine.
    I am actually overjoyed to read this. I thought I was apparently too darned stupid to use Active Sync. Rarely works well :-(
    For the past week, I've had to reestablish my treo's relationship with AS. It's an incredible pain.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i have had no problem what so ever with active sycn. i am currently using 4smartphone push email.
    (in Napoleon Dynamite voice) Luckyyyy...

Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    No problem with sync as well
    Ditto for you, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleLee View Post
    I am actually overjoyed to read this. I thought I was apparently too darned stupid to use Active Sync. Rarely works well :-(
    Yeah, don't feel bad. It's broken from the ground up with this device. I don't understand it. I never had AS problem like this with another device, and I've had several in the past. Something about Palm's system and my computers does NOT make for happy syncing. Is it something about Palm's customizations to ROM that could be doing this? And if so, uh, will there ever be a fix? (no need to answer that, it's rhetorical.)

I did a hard reset, restored a clean backup, reinstalled a few progs that don't play nice with the backup process, and re-synced. Wow... like magic, suddenly there's no problem.

It's just ridiculous. There must be a file somewhere that's just getting corrupted and needs to be replaced, so I'm putting out the call: programmers, hackers, and tinkerers - let's find this crappy little file and ID it so we don't have to resort to a HR when this happens!

Of course, it could also be that I've simply angered the gods of information at some point along the line and am reaping my karmic retribution.
    END OF LINE
    I forgot the key part ... it happens every single day.
    I had constant (daily) problems before the latest version 4.2, build 4876 and before the update to the 700w. I haven't had a single problem since.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    This may or may not help, but here is a non technical observation. I had many of the same problems you all discribe when only syncing to my computer with the usb cable. Since I have signed up with 4smartphone.com and use the ota sync/push email I have had zero problems. I mean no problems syncing with my desktop now. I still connect it to sync my splash id software, documents, links, installing programs, but never get errors anymore now that I use the ota sync. Dont know why, but it has made life much easier. Hope it helps.
    I haven't had any problems and have been using AS for a couple years now, and with my Treo 700wx since September. Maybe I'm just lucky. Biggest problem i've had is with the Treo's connection to the USB cable, it seems to easily disconnect (even when still plugged in). I use only a laptop with it as well.
    Im syncing with notebook pc topping that of it's Sony Vaio which really doesnt get along with anything at times .Like Kaiguy the USB contacts give me a problem 1 out of 50 syncs.Thats is a norm as the sync cable wears out.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I just went through a 2 month stretch in which my w connected and synched every time I cradled it; now, today, for no discernible reason it won't even connect. Soft reset, restarted laptop, closed activesynch process, nothing works. Mystifying......
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Update: had closed a.s. via ctl-alt-del process tab. Opened a.s. manually on computer and it connected and synched. I better write this down somewhere....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast