1.    #1  
    Crazy, Yes !

What Ya Think?
    Yes they can, but be prepared to pay through the nose for data. Also be prepared for salespeople looking to make commission on contract sales and possibly deny you the sale. Read HoFo, it has happened. But you can try, you never know. People are in different moods on different days over at Cingular, it seems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes they can, but be prepared to pay through the nose for data. Also be prepared for salespeople looking to make commission on contract sales and possibly deny you the sale. Read HoFo, it has happened. But you can try, you never know. People are in different moods on different days over at Cingular, it seems.

Yea, I can imagine a little web surfing on prepaid will eat up cash fast.

What is it like 2 cents a kb?
    I come from Canada, the land of paying too much for data.

But Cingular Paygo Pick your plan seems pretty reasonable - it is what I use when in the USA.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    My understanding is that the "Pay as you go" phones use a different carrier than normal Cingular phones. At least, when I bought the GO phone for my wife with the PAYG plan, I was told that if she wanted to switch to the "pick your plan" or a regular Cingular account that she'd need a new phone. The SIM is not a standard Cingular SIM.
    Interesting, holmes4. I thought it was the same. I know Verizon and Verizon prepaid are now different too.
    Last edited by trojanvision; 05/09/2007 at 08:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Verizon and Sprint have more control on their devices because those are CDMA. With GSM devices (e.g At&t-Cingular, T-mobile...) you have much more advantages.

You can turn any single GSM phone which have compatible radio bands into a prepaid phone and vice versa. You also can use it with any GSM carrier all over the world, of course, if the phone is not lock to specified carrier. Internet speed (CIngular network, my case) on the prepaid phone is the same with contracted phones.
    Treo Maniac?
    Device wise, I have a standard unlocked Treo 680.

Sim wise, I don't see anything on the Cingular SIM that indicates gophone or pick your plan, but it was part of a pick your plan package.

In Canada, I use it on a standard monthly Rogers plan.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    A Pick Your Plan GO-phone uses a standard Cingular SIM. It's only the prepaid "Pay as you go" versions that don't. This is also why the PAYG phones operate on Cingular towers only and don't allow national roaming. My understanding is that this service is actually run by another company as a subcontractor to Cingular.
    I was going to say. If you did a "Pick your Plan" instead of a "Pay as you go" you can add Media Max ($20 unlimited data) to your plan.
    I don't think Cingular will let you get a Treo 750 as a go phone, but if you have your own, then you just go get a go phone kit, activate it, then use your SIM in the Treo 750. That should totally work.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Don't be so sure. I think that the PAYG SIMs are actually a different "carrier". If I had my wife's phone available to check, I would, but she's away for a week.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I was going to say. If you did a "Pick your Plan" instead of a "Pay as you go" you can add Media Max ($20 unlimited data) to your plan.
    I don't think Cingular will let you get a Treo 750 as a go phone, but if you have your own, then you just go get a go phone kit, activate it, then use your SIM in the Treo 750. That should totally work.
    That is exactly what i did and it works great for me. I bought an unlocked cingular treo 750 off ebay and bought a prepaid phone and chose with "pick you plan" prepaid i also added the $20 unlimited plan on it and it works great i been having mine for more than 2 months. I can browse internet and get push email with my prepaid. on top of that im still abel to get 3G service...

So it can be done...