Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ... what kind of phone I am using? Does the phone talk to the SIM card in a way that communicates to Cingular the specs or serial number on a 750?

What if I unlock it?

I'm just concerned about using the MediaNet plan for PDA's.
    I have a 8525 and a 750 and switch the SIM's between them. Around noon yesterday I was having issues with the Plam and called. That is when they told me that my SIM did not match my phone and they wanted to know what I was up to. The recommned that I do not switch SIM's.

Anyway the best question was my sped on my 750, I hacked for the higher speeds and they clearly noticed it on the network. They told me they can look my IMEI.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut View Post
    I have a 8525 and a 750 and switch the SIM's between them. Around noon yesterday I was having issues with the Plam and called. That is when they told me that my SIM did not match my phone and they wanted to know what I was up to. The recommned that I do not switch SIM's.

Anyway the best question was my sped on my 750, I hacked for the higher speeds and they clearly noticed it on the network. They told me they can look my IMEI.
    I guess that's that, then. Jeez. I hope I don't get a massive data bill. I guess they wouldn't have reason to know unless I call their attention to it.
    Actually this is not correct. I work for cingular and use the pos2 billing system everyday. When an upgrade/activation is done we enter the imei into the system as well as the sim #. Unless someone goes into the system to change your imei the system cant tell the difference on the fronty end. The fraud department and other departmenst i am sure can actually locate a subscriber by either imei or sim # if need be. But unless they suspect massive overuse or fraud I would find it hard to believe that they are monitoring whatphone you are using.
    Treoseur
    I am sure I spoke to a human at cingular and that afterwards my data connection was restored and the correct SIM's associated with the phones I was using. The issue was that I was switching my SIM's between the 8525 and the treo. They also questioned my speeds on the 750 more then once.
    I have a 19.99 mediaworks unlimited data plan and it works fine with UMTS when I am in the areas that have it. I talked to a Cingular data tech about a year ago when I was having trouble with my 650 data and he told me (unofficially) that at that time they could not tell what type of device you were using and given that non-pda phones now have UMTS capability it would seem that there will be "legitimate" $19.99 plans out there for UMTS phones.

By the way I often switch sims between my two cingular phones and never had a problem.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    First of all PUGNUT called Cingular they didn't call him. And he also didn't tell us what the issue was he was having. I had a TREO 600, TREO 650, Treo 680, and now the Treo 750, and never had an issue using the SAME SIM card on all of them. The closest thing to an issue I had was trying to get Blackberry Connect working and they could not help me with my old SIM card because they were not able to add the IMEI of the phone because they told me it needed to have a 3G SIM.

Like Jhat3k1 said, they do not know what phone you have unless they cross reference the IMEI and they really don't care what phone you are using. That's the advantage of GSM, your service is tied to your SIM card not your mobile phone.

regards
    Last edited by mmereos; 01/25/2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Typo
    I read everytime you make or receive a call, your IMEI is registered at the nearest tower. I don't know if they can tell what phone it is, but they supposedly do know your IMEI.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut View Post
    I am sure I spoke to a human at cingular and that afterwards my data connection was restored and the correct SIM's associated with the phones I was using. The issue was that I was switching my SIM's between the 8525 and the treo. They also questioned my speeds on the 750 more then once.
    I don't see what the big deal is about switching SIMs on those 2 phones, especially since they're both locked to Cingular and are both PDA phones with 3G.

Cingular is also quite inconsistent with what they tell people.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    PhoneDIVA you are correct, when you make a phone call the IMEI number is registered and they do know that number, but they don't track or care what phone you use. I can assure you PUGNUT had some other issue that is irrelevant, and this thread is something about nothing. Cingular will never tell you that you shouldn't move your SIM from one phone to another, weather it's a CINGULAR locked or Unlocked phone.
    As an FYI, in other countries if someone steals your cell phone there is a database that will prevent that IMEI number from working, so the phone is useless. I wish we had that here in the US, it would definitely prevent people from stealing phones, but the US doesn't use any system like that for GSM.