1.    #1  
    I am posting this message tethering via UMTS only as sometimes, or so I think, it's quite unstable with the HSDPA hack, which works phenomenally using the internal browser. Having said that, however, it did work for an hour straight earlier tonight WITH the HSDPA hack, so maybe it's just unstable period!??!?!

Also, I just switched from MediaNet to PDAConnect. Why is it that it sometimes works with wap.cingular and sometimes with isp.cingular??? Tetherting-wise I mean. And EVERY TIME it logs me off, I have to shut down PDANet on my Treo 750 and restart it, before I can attempt to log back in. If I don't, it will attempt to connect, but then give me an error message saying that the "Modem is busy". WTF!?

This thing is frustrating me more and more. I just want one setup to work every time. I have the USB-to-PC advanced connections checked.

Finally, I know there is a way to manually create a new dial-up connection without using PDANet at all, especially on Windows Mobile 5. If it only worked, I would love to buy it. I bought the one for the 650 and it NEVER gave me any of these problems. I am running Windows Vista, but the version I downloaded from junefabrics.com (v1.72) says it's fully Vista-compatible.

Can some PLEASE share their knowledge about this with me?

EDIT: I just thought of something else: Might it be incoming calls or text messages that mess up the connection? 3G is supposed to handle both voice and data at the same time. Thanks again for any help...
    Last edited by CrunchDude; 01/24/2007 at 12:49 AM.
    I'm not running the hack and I'm having problems connecting to the internet via UMTS (or GPRS). Connections take a long time to establish. They frequently drop.

It could be low signal in my location, but what is the correct settings? The default was wap.cingular which works more consistently than isp.cingular. Is there a difference. Should I be seeing a difference in being directed to a different portal?

Voice seems to have great connection always, but I'm not have success maintaining an internet connection.

I am supposed to be on PDA connect, but what is the difference between that and Media connect other than price?
    I see that as well occasionally when I can't connect. A soft reset usually fixes it, but is annoying. I thought it had to to with CityID beta as I had read something about that screwing it up, but I installed that and could still see the issue come up...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  4.    #4  
    Oh, glad to hear I'm not crazy. lol...Well, I'm on the PDAConnect plan and Windows Vista, and I suspect that you're on MediaNet and XP, am I right? The Vista part shouldn't make a difference because the damn thing is compatible (officially!) with Vista.

So I'm FINALLY connected after 12 unsuccessful attempts (without the hack and a hard reset ), because I've been getting an error message saying "Cannot verify username and password" when even the software says to "usually" leave it blank. I love that. "Usually". What username and password should I use in case this thing will play games with me like this again later???

I'm on the PDAConnect plan, which uses isp.cingular, although wap.cingular has worked, too, at times. You guys are probably on MediaNet, so wap is for you. I was on it for 2 years with my Treo 650, but PDAConnect is the same price with my FAN, so whatever. Strangely enough, my 650 doesn't care about isp vs. wap vs. a full moon, etc. But I want my 750 to work.

Oh yea, and what about building my own connection without PDANet??? Any more ideas about the username and password thing??????????????

Thanks everybody!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC2K View Post
    I'm not running the hack and I'm having problems connecting to the internet via UMTS (or GPRS). Connections take a long time to establish. They frequently drop.

It could be low signal in my location, but what is the correct settings? The default was wap.cingular which works more consistently than isp.cingular. Is there a difference. Should I be seeing a difference in being directed to a different portal?

Voice seems to have great connection always, but I'm not have success maintaining an internet connection.

I am supposed to be on PDA connect, but what is the difference between that and Media connect other than price?
    No different except the price and the isp.cingular vs. wap.cingular. Be careful with too much tethering. I'm just now having to tether a lot, which is why I switched to PDAConnect. I am out of town and my friend just moved to her new condo, so she doesn't have Internet access yet. If you plan to only tether every so often, stick with MediaNet. Please see my post above.
    There are detailed instructions on Palm's Support web site and in the user manual (PDF on the included CD, not the printed start up guide) that explain how to do "DUN" via USB as well as Bluetooth.
    I got it working with USB, it pretty much as explained. But my work laptop uses this IBM Thinkvantage network connection manager that wants to take over all internet connections so I had to set up a "dial up networking" connection on it and use *99# as the dialup phone number.
    I hit "activate" on the modem link app on the Treo and then established my DUN connection on the laptop and it works. But it's very flaky. I'm not sure if it's because my UMTS signal is so weak here in my house (it drops in and out in this location), the HSDPA, hack or what.
    Also the DUN connection my laptop set up is only 384K and I'm working on figuring out hot to change that.
    I didn't do the Bluetooth verion yet.

I any case the point is here are the instructions on "DUN':
    Palm user Guide (PDF) Page 127:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...ingular_UG.pdf

Also see this page for the USB driver and instrucations:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/DUN/index.html

And of course all of this is right off the Treo 750 support page:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo750cingular/

Good luck on this. It all reminds me of why I use PDANet. PDANet is so much more convenient and usually work so much better. However I have not yet tried it on the 750... off to try it myself.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    There are detailed instructions on Palm's Support web site and in the user manual (PDF on the included CD, not the printed start up guide) that explain how to do "DUN" via USB as well as Bluetooth.
    I got it working with USB, it pretty much as explained. But my work laptop uses this IBM Thinkvantage network connection manager that wants to take over all internet connections so I had to set up a "dial up networking" connection on it and use *99# as the dialup phone number.
    I hit "activate" on the modem link app on the Treo and then established my DUN connection on the laptop and it works. But it's very flaky. I'm not sure if it's because my UMTS signal is so weak here in my house (it drops in and out in this location), the HSDPA, hack or what.
    Also the DUN connection my laptop set up is only 384K and I'm working on figuring out hot to change that.
    I didn't do the Bluetooth verion yet.

I any case the point is here are the instructions on "DUN':
    Palm user Guide (PDF) Page 127:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...ingular_UG.pdf

Also see this page for the USB driver and instrucations:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/DUN/index.html

And of course all of this is right off the Treo 750 support page:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo750cingular/

Good luck on this. It all reminds me of why I use PDANet. PDANet is so much more convenient and usually work so much better. However I have not yet tried it on the 750... off to try it myself.
    Cool, thanks for the info dude...Don't download it from mytreo.net. That's an old, outdated version. Go to the link I sent you and download v1.72. When it works, it REALLY works. Good luck!
    I am probably a bit dense on this, but once I've installed the software and activated the modem link on the Treo, how do I then connect to the internet from my computer using the Treo as a modem? The device shows up as connected to Com4 as a modem, and so when I try to connect via the Treo, it asks for a user name and phone number, as if it were an actual dial up modem. Can anyone guide me? Thanks.