Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Is anybody looking at trying to get GPS enabled on the Treo 750v ?

The Treo 750v uses the same Qualcomm MSM6275 chipset as the HTC Trinity and HTC Hermes. This chipset includes built in GPS receiver hardware.

Over on XDA-dev, they have worked out how to enable GPS on the HTC Trinity (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=291036)

Obviously the Trinity owners had the advantage of an official Dopod ROM for an equivalent device that had GPS enabled, but perhaps there is some clever person out there capable of working out a hack to get GPS enabled on the Treo 750v ?
    I didn't think the Treo had a GPS antenna/chip at all.
    That would be friggn sweet if it worked!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    I didn't think the Treo had a GPS antenna/chip at all.
    I may be mistaken but I think all new phones by law have to have it.
    If they have to have it, then why would a phone like a Treo Cripple it or disable it in any way? Also, it does look like an external antenna port on the back - I assumed its for the phone, but has same connections as my old hw6515 - and that was for an external GPS antenna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    If they have to have it, then why would a phone like a Treo Cripple it or disable it in any way? Also, it does look like an external antenna port on the back - I assumed its for the phone, but has same connections as my old hw6515 - and that was for an external GPS antenna.
    The reason for having it, again I may be wrong, is for better locating, as in OJ in white bronco and people who are trapped. The reason for the law was not to aid in navigation.
    I may be wrong also...

But I thought they just did the triangulating thing with tower to locate you. I dont think it has anything to do with actual GPS.
    MedicWill is basically right. Phones have assisted GPS (aGPS) chips, not full blown Sirf III-type GPS chips that are suitable for navigation.
    You are both right. Most phones use triangulation, but there is a push for actually adding GPS satellite location also, which is why qualcomm (who makes all the CDMA chips I believe) has included the technology in its chips. More and more phones will have real satellite GPS included inside, even if not accessible to the user.

Surur
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    They are currently porting the Trinity radio and GPS dlls over to the Hermes over at xda developers. Sweet!

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    URPREY, can you provide a link to the xda discussion?
    i get what everyone is saying regarding it triangulating with cell towers. But couple other people in this thread are psyched about this - so its 100% proven that it wouldnt be possible with any type of firmware flash to enable it to be used as a normal satellite GPS? (just curious cuz i have a bluetooth GPS receiver and its a pain to remember to bring to different cars, etc...and it would be awesome!)

anyone now if they have a gps in some form of mini-sd card? (i know...probably not but it would rock)
    Aren't there some pay navigation services that use aGPS such as TeleNav and Mapquest Navigator that could potentially work on the 750 if this hack makes the hardware accessible?
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Aren't there some pay navigation services that use aGPS such as TeleNav and Mapquest Navigator that could potentially work on the 750 if this hack makes the hardware accessible?
    If they can enable the hack, then any navi program would be able to use it. We'll see, it hasn't worked on the Hermes yet, last I checked. But if the hack works, then you can set it up in the settings and have a fully functional GPS unit in the phone...
    Also like what was mentioned...

IF there is GPS on the chips, why wouldnt they want to add that? Thats just another great selling point...
    Yeah, makes no sense. If the chip is already there it's not hardware costs that is keeping them from offerring it.
    There is software, support and licensing fees also however. Most people dont know for example that most TI OMAP chip sets come with USB host capability built-in, but this is very very rarely enabled.

Surur