1.    #1  
    I am trying to get the perfect restore point. I have almost got it. my problem is with my cookies.

I want my user name and passwords to be remembers for the sites that need them. for example. treocentral requires user name and password. I enter this and select it to remember me. I backup using spb. when I goto restore it doesn't remember ( or restore) my user name and passwords.

even if spb backup won't backup cookies I wouldn't mine just coping the file or folder that the cookies are stored in, but I can't find where this file is. does any one know?

for example... you can copy your windows/favorites folder, save it on your storage card. after you restore or hard reset you can replace the new one with the one you saved.

where are the cookies stored?

thanks, cody
  2.    #2  
    i'll help you.

the cookies are stored in the windows/profiles/guest /cookies.
    Last edited by codyppc; 01/24/2007 at 02:41 PM.
    LOL, Thanks codyppc. I have wondered this as well. I am picky with my restore points as well.

I'm sure codyppc thanks your for the help too! hahaha
    Treo 750, at&t wireless.
    Does a perfect restore point even exist? As soon as I have one, I've already found another program or script or whatever that I like. It's an endless struggle.
  5.    #5  
    well I hate to say it codyppc, but your WRONG. this folder I copied then did a hard reset, then restored and replace the new empty cookies folder with the one I stored, and it still did keep the user names and passwords. I don't know who you think you are, but you should really stop running your mouth. you don't know what your talking about. stupid ***. you just made me hard reset and restore for nothing. wasted 15 minutes of my life.

does anyone else, besides codyppc, know where we can find a way to restore this cookie info or what ever it is that keeps are user names and passwords?
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    does anyone else, besides codyppc, know where we can find a way to restore this cookie info or what ever it is that keeps are user names and passwords?
    The location \Windows\Profiles\guest\cookies does in fact seem to be the correct directory. The "Cookes" menu under SK-Tools lists all the same cookies. Do you happen to know if the corresponding file index.dat was also copied? Maybe if that was missed that was the problem.
  7.    #7  
    yes, I copied the index file as well. the whole cookies folder. man I wished it would have worked.
    Ok, once again, it's confirmed.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell has a value for Cookies. And it is the aforementioned directory.

So, what about changing that directory to a Cookies directory on your SD card. I know that cache can cause problems, but cookies may be a different story. Then when you do a hard reset, you just need to point that value to the SD directory...

Just a thought.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    Ok , once again, it's confirmed.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\Shell has a value for Cookies. And it is the aforementioned directory.

So, what about changing that directory to a Cookies directory on your SD card. I know that cache can cause problems, but cookies may be a different story. Then when you do a hard reset, you just need to point that value to the SD directory...

Just a thought.
    wow, nice idea. I may play with this a little tomorrow, while i'm at work of course.

my question is what is the difference where it looks for the file. it seems as if the file that I saved didn't work.
  10.    #10  
    Ok , once again, it's confirmed.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\Shell has a value for Cookies. And it is the aforementioned directory.

Just a thought.
    wow. that worked. I can't belive it.

I don't understand why the cookies folder on my storage card, that has all the good cookies, doesn't work when I copied it back over to the device. it did say it was rewriting over the existing one. anyhow, at least this shows that I can restore cookies after a hard reset. I just need to figure out if this I a problem with copying the cookies folder back to device? or am I going to have to make the reg edit to get it to work?

anyone want to hard reset with me to find out? lol.

anyhow, good idea kaiguy.

thanks, cody
    Glad it worked, cody.

I'm not really sure why it didn't work with the copying of the folder. The nice thing is, though, if you keep it on the SD card, there's no need to do anything other than changing that reg value. And I'm pretty certain, though I don't know how to do it, to create a .reg file to just have it change that value for you.
  12.    #12  
    Glad it worked, cody.

I'm not really sure why it didn't work with the copying of the folder. The nice thing is, though, if you keep it on the SD card, there's no need to do anything other than changing that reg value. And I'm pretty certain, though I don't know how to do it, to create a .reg file to just have it change that value for you.
    well changing the reg from windows/profile/guest/cookies to storae card/cookies will work. restoring from a spb backup will also restore any reg edits. this would be a one time fix that would work.

what I did though is tried again to delete and copy back the cookies folder that I saved. since I now know that the cookies folder thing will work I knew it was just a matter of copying it right. I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but the second time it worked great. I finally got it. yes.

thanks a lot everyone for your help, cody

ps: i'm sorry for calling you stupid codyppc in the 5th post of this thread. please forgive me.
  13.    #13  
    ok, once agian, it's not working like i though.

i am having trouble delete, or replacing the index file in this folder. resco, and total commander can't delete, replace, rename, or anything this file.

any ideas?
    You should ask codyppc. He's working on something similar.

My buddy codyppc told me to tell you to do a soft reset then copy the index file and it will work.
  16.    #16  
    right after soft reset an updated index file is created. i cannot copy the older saved copy over the newer version. the only way around this is to set my phone itself, to an older date than the copy i want to paste in to the cookies folder. when the device has an older date, the index file created will be that older date. then i can delete and or replace it.

i dont really understand it.
    it still doesn't make since and is not very easy.

there has to be something easier.
    cody, not even sure if this will help in your attempt to figure this out, but I came across this little free app for viewing index.dat files. It's description about the index.dat is interesting and may lead you to some sort of conclusion...

ValkSoft Index.dat Viewer 1.2
    http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=18832