1.    #1  
    I'm moving and my new house puts my sprint 700wx in ROAMING.

Now i have to pick the more expensive Verizon $45/mo data plan over my current negotiated $5/mo unlimited EVDO plan!! argh!!!

anyway, what phone do I choose?

thinking about the new black Q.

Aside from no touchscreen, any other major cons? or pros?
    I would go for 700W rather than Q anyday. That may be just me though. It should be time for Verizon to roll out w/ something better than 700W though. I would wait couple of months and see.
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
    Quote Originally Posted by OriTreo View Post
    You should just stay in your old house or move your new house to where u can have sprint. then that way you can keep sprint.. Just a small thought for you to think about.
    Yeah, I've dealt with this prob. recently: I want to move to Verizon so I don't have to carry two phones around. So I bought a used Q (from someone here) for pretty cheap for a couple of reasons:

* Wanted to try living sans touchscreen. It's not bad at all. I have a crush on the Dash so this will have to do.
    * Wanted to carry something light for a change. Big difference here!!!
    * Wanted *more memory*. The memory situation on the 700w is so bad, I didn't want to think about it. Oddly enough, I'm now thinking about battery life which is significantly worse.
    * 700w is too expensive for something that will likely be replaced soon.

Bottom line: I can get a good deal on a Q for now until the 700wx comes out, if it comes out. So that's what I chose. If you're bored, the Q is a good experiment. But there's many downsides to it. Damn you Verizon, you make all choices difficult.
    same thing happened to me with sprint/verizon. You may want to see about getting a signal booster from frys and see if that fixes your roaming issue. If it does not just return it. I ended up switching before I learned that the signal booster worked (wireless extenders I think it is called) and ended up having to get one for verizon anyway but at least I had data at home. Regarding the q, I have a black one and a treo 700w (2 lines) and to me the q is cool for very light use, but it is more like a toy whereas the 700w is more like a tool. Hope something in this jibba jabba helps.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by brothermike View Post
    same thing happened to me with sprint/verizon. You may want to see about getting a signal booster from frys and see if that fixes your roaming issue. If it does not just return it. I ended up switching before I learned that the signal booster worked (wireless extenders I think it is called) and ended up having to get one for verizon anyway but at least I had data at home. Regarding the q, I have a black one and a treo 700w (2 lines) and to me the q is cool for very light use, but it is more like a toy whereas the 700w is more like a tool. Hope something in this jibba jabba helps.
    Thats a good idea. I'll try the signal booster (wireless extender) and see what happens. I really don't wanna lose my 700wx and my incredible Sprint plan.

I don't live near a Fry's. Maybe radio shack has it?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ACHlLLES View Post
    I would go for 700W rather than Q anyday. That may be just me though. It should be time for Verizon to roll out w/ something better than 700W though. I would wait couple of months and see.

I have a couple months to wait it out, so good idea.
    Why not just roam at home?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Why not just roam at home?
    Isn't Roaming expensive?
    Most sprint plans these days include it free of charge. If not I believe it is a $5 add on.

No EVDO roaming yet- only 1xrtt.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  11.    #11  
    Most sprint plans these days include it free of charge. If not I believe it is a $5 add on.

Interesting. But how's the signal? I'll have to try it next time I'm there.
  12.    #12  

THANK YOU ROBBER!!!

i just called sprint. you were right, $5 a month for free roaming! i get to keep my amazing plan and my 700wx! woooo hoooo!

and they said that roaming DOES include EVDO!

plus retentions waved the $5 fee!!! i have been with sprint since 1996 when they first came to NY.
    Last edited by OriTreo; 01/22/2007 at 09:04 AM.
    Sprint is awesome. Damn VZW's free mobile to mobile.. a killer way to lock significant others into service they don't want
    THANK YOU ROBBER!!!

i just called sprint. you were right, $5 a month for free roaming! i get to keep my amazing plan and my 700wx! woooo hoooo!

and they said that roaming DOES include EVDO!
    yep i've roamed on evdo pretty sweet keep ur wx and sprint. free roaming on verizon for less then verizon service u cant beat that!
    I do think that you are supposed to use at least half of your minutes on Sprint towers tho.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
    I do think that you are supposed to use at least half of your minutes on Sprint towers tho.
    I was never told that. But that shouldn't be a problem anyway, will use vonage for the majority of my home based calls. Just needed to make sure i had coverage.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Sprint is awesome. Damn VZW's free mobile to mobile.. a killer way to lock significant others into service they don't want

Sprint's had free PCS to PCS for years, who needs Verizon. Except to Roam on. Thanks Verizon for making Sprint sooo good.

Now i have to pick the more expensive Verizon $45/mo data plan over my current negotiated $5/mo unlimited EVDO plan!! argh!!!

anyway, what phone do I choose?

thinking about the new black Q.

Aside from no touchscreen, any other major cons? or pros?
    Have you looked at just adding unlimited roaming to your existing Sprint plan? Have seen some posts where data roaming works too. Probably could get them to add it for another $10 per month.