Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think he is referring to the change in the rules for daylight savings time starting this year.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html#new
    The sad thing is that the Daylight savings time issue could be corrected with a simple patch and not a full firmware upgrade... and then it would be added to the list of stuff you have to install after you hard reset every time... I hope that we do get a full firmware upgrade because all the previous ones have added good features or at least cleared up a lot of bugs...

As far as the comment that customers won't see upgrades because of Sarbanes-Oxley earlier in this thread... apple is trying to pull that with the charging $2 for unlocking the 802.11n functionality in macbooks... They're claiming that they cannot add unadvertised features to hardware that was already sold and accounted for without charging a fee.
    I'm pretty sure that's garbage because a lot of companies release firmware updates that expand functionality without charging for it... HTC is the one that comes to mind.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Maybe there is a hacker some where on here or XDA forums that can get us the AKU 3.3 or even the new 3.5 for our phones like some hacker did for the 6700 series? http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/1773/1/
    Last edited by bloodycape77; 01/27/2007 at 04:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    daylight savings time will be just fine with out a patch - network time will take care of everything wont it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Maybe there is a hacker some where on here or XDA forums that can get us the AKU 3.3 or even the new 3.5 for our phones like some hacker did for the 6700 series? http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/1773/1/
    Theoretically, yeah it could.

But it won't because most XDA users are GSM and don't give a rats-tail about the 700wx (750, a little bit).

The 6700 wasn't too different from other HTC branded phones and is based on the GSM Wizard.

Palm's modified OS is very different from the standard HTC WM5, so it'd be near impossible to adapt an AKU for us and retain the Palm tricks.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    what about getting the updated 2.3 aku of the 750 maybe? Could some one please ask so of the XDA people if they give us 700 and 750 owner aku 3.5, 3.3 or even 3.2? Or even just even have the newer features we don't even have? I dunno.

Is WM6 possible on the Treo because I have seen devices come out with it. I have also seen a copy of WM6 uploaded on torrent and download site.
    I downloaded WM6 from a site that posted it but am scared to even attempt to install it on my 700wx, I doubt Palm will make an upgrade available. We still haven't officially even gotten the threaded messaging app, but I have a feeling hackers will get WM6 working on our Treos
    Jimmie Geddes
  8.    #28  
    without having another rom to revert back to, I would be scared to. it's been 5 months that I have had the same phone. I either need to get a new rom, a new phone, or life. I would really just like to see a new rom. lol
    You can only install a ROM for your specific device. There is no point in installing a ROM for the Hermes or Universal on your Treo, you will only brick it.

I have WM 6 on my Universal, and not much has really changed. The Internet Sharing works pretty well, and means you only need a cable or Bluetooth to share your Internet connection with any PC, without needing to set up dial up networking. HTML e-mail is cool, but while it renders well it results in the need for horizontal scrolling, which is rather uncool. PIE has seen some improvements, with a better full screen mode that is persistent, and on the universal a 'high-res' mode which makes the text and pictures smaller, and make them fit in better. The gradient theme is a bit nicer, but thats not earth shattering. Windows Live works OK, but doesn't cover anywhere in UK unfortunately. There is now a native Live search bar on the today screen. The new ring tones are nice, and better than that Iphone ring tone floating around. Media player has some improvements under the hood, meaning it can now play e.g. the Smartphone show Podcast, whereas before one needed to use TCMP. It also now does not search the native device memory for the library, which is good because I really do not want to hear my ring tones in a shuffle.

Anyway, many minor improvements, and pretty stable, but nothing earth shattering. Its nice to have my device upgraded to the latest OS, so I know what I would be missing if I could not get it. Keeps the upgrade fever down for a whole

Surur
    yeah I am the same way like to have the latest os just to see what i maybe missing and just to have the latest device.

Is that WM6 download for pocket pc or pocket pc phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Anyway, many minor improvements, and pretty stable, but nothing earth shattering. Its nice to have my device upgraded to the latest OS, so I know what I would be missing if I could not get it. Keeps the upgrade fever down for a whole

Surur
    I totally agree. I was so excited to have Crossbow on the Universal, but after a day of playing around you realize not much has changed. All of the new LIVE features (marketplace to be specific) is not available yet, and when I tried to enroll I was told by Microsoft that "this is only being used by our developers right now to test it."

As far as 3.3 on a treo, I really doubt it will happen. It hasn't even happened on a Hermes yet, and there's leaked Crossbow/Hermes pics all over the web.

The reason why they have gotten it to work on the other devices is because internally, they are all HTC devices. It has nothing to do with GSM/CDMA. The Apache/Wizard/Universal all allow for one important thing- ROM cooking. They are older bootloaders, and the newer ones will not write any ROM's that are not DIGITALLY SIGNED for the device. Just this week, the good folks over at xda managed to dig up an old bootloader for the Hermes (1.01) that will allow you to flash unsigned ROM's to the device. English = you can make your own ROM and install it on a Hermes, with no opposition. Now they need to get a good OS ROM made for the Hermes, then test it with extended ROM's, etc etc. Not going to be easy.

They may be able to do this on a 750 one day (because it is also an HTC built device, same bootloaders, etc. The fact that it is GSM is only a coincidence) if they can get this same bootloader over to it, but because of all of the Palm customizations it would be a TON of work, so they may have to recruit people to do this. ANyone who has used a Palm WM phone knows how much different it is from a normal wm phone. The w/wx are totally different, and the folks over at xda do not play around with these devices, so the chances of a "cooked ROM" on a Palm are next to none.
    The government has changed the date when the time changes occurs.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=292294

i guess more support would be nice?
  14. boe
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I'm running AKU 3.5 on my 6700 and it is a HUGE improvement over AKU 2.2. AKU 3.3 was a significant improvement as well! I know that there was two major petitions to Palm that seemed to help get the update for the 700p rolling - should be out next month. Are there any petitions to Palm for the 700w update?
    I think the petition, as you would, would probably be more in the direction of a WM6 upgrade rather than just an AKU update.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by boe View Post
    I'm running AKU 3.5 on my 6700 and it is a HUGE improvement over AKU 2.2. AKU 3.3 was a significant improvement as well! I know that there was two major petitions to Palm that seemed to help get the update for the 700p rolling - should be out next month. Are there any petitions to Palm for the 700w update?
    i suggested it a while back, but it didn't fly to well over here.

to be honest. i think it has to do with the w/wx not having as many problems. in fact the sprint wx has less problems than any of the treo's.

for example it is the only one that doesn't have a bug list stickied to the top of there forum. i started the bugs list for the wx and it seems to be on like page 400 or so.
    Cody, this is obvious by the ratio of happy users to unhappy users here in this section of the forums.

Being a PalmOS fanboy for years really puts this in perspective for me and I could never go back to Frankengarnet for any real practical use.

I am almost scared at how much I still love my WX after all these months, this is very unlike me. I won't lie and say I am not interested in a 755wx (320x320 screen, WM6, and a few other goodies) but I know the battery life won't support my use and I am still content with my current device.
  18.    #38  
    well i'm not dogging pos at all, but i had the 700p and man there were some issues. and as far as ratio of users. i see 10 times more 700p's out in the wild than i do wm treo's. you would think someone would be happy. lol.
    I see more 650's than 700's period. But when I see 700's I usually see the W more than the P or WX. Still, I won't dog the POS either but it has seen its day and thats the bottom line. WM is still evolving with the biggest OS developer out there. Like MS or not, it's doing a hell of a job from the days of WINCE to WM6... I just hate it when people call it the "dark side" because its so much brighter over here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12