Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #1  
    There are few threads that say this but it's not clear in the Title. I am new to Windows Mobile, and when I started looking for 3rd party software I was assuming the the Treo 750 was a Smartphone because that's what Palm calls it. I even talked to Handango because I couldn't download software that I KNOW will work on the 750, because it's categorized as a SmartPhone in their database. The fact of the matter is, that the Treo 750 is a Pocket PC, NOT a Smartphone, so when you go to sites like Handango to download software you need to chose Windows Mobile Pocket PC, and not Treo 750 otherwise very little software will show up; for example....PiePlus and Netfront browsers.
    Handango is now aware of this problem after emailing with me back and forth, but they didn't specify when they will resolve it.
  2. #2  
    this confusion can be atributed to MS for naming the os Smartphone OS. The rest o the world considers a pda like phone to be a smart device, aka smartphone. Palm isn't wrong caling it a smartphone, but it can be confusing for noobs that don't read the specifications.
  3. #3  
    I think Palm was wrong in calling this device a Smartphone when in fact it is Pocket PC. All Pocket PC devices have touch screen whereas Smartphone based phones have no touch screen.

    This is the major difference between two types of devices.
  4. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1lejunkie View Post
    I think Palm was wrong in calling this device a Smartphone when in fact it is Pocket PC.
    Only in the land of Microsoft, the rest of the planet would classify it as a smartphone
  5. #5  
    I usually call it a PDA phone, LOL! But yes, smartphone certainly applies.

    Since they have 3 versions of WM5(ppc phone, ppc, smartphone), I agree you do need to watch what you search for on Handango. But part of the problem is Handango's device search function. They don't always update devices. For a long while, they didn't list the hx iPAQ line as WM5 and kept blocking me out from WM5 software. I had to use the Pocket PC search to get what I wanted.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mob1lejunkie View Post
    I think Palm was wrong in calling this device a Smartphone when in fact it is Pocket PC. All Pocket PC devices have touch screen whereas Smartphone based phones have no touch screen.

    This is the major difference between two types of devices.
    Remember, Palm didn't always have WM Treos - Palm was calling the Treo PDAphones smartphones because that was the generic name for these advanced devices. Microsoft just decided to be cute and call one of its OSes Smartphone. The capital 'S' denotes its the WM Smartphone btw

    Regardless, Palm wants to stick to its branding strategy - it calls its devices smartphones because that's what they are. Ask anyone in Europe what a smartphone is and they'll likely point to a symbian device, or a treo, or an HTC device. Doesn't matter.
  7. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #7  
    The difference is because MS has "Windows for Smartphones" as a distinct OS from "PocketPC".
  8. #8  
    Palm calling the Treo a smartphone caused them an interesting problem, as Gartner stopped counting their sales amongst PDA sales, causing their quoted market share to drop. When they were counted amongst PDA's their market share was higher, but the smartphone market is huge, so their market share in the bigger pool is much smaller.

    Surur
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The difference is because MS has "Windows for Smartphones" as a distinct OS from "PocketPC".
    Yes, that is not disputed. But Palm had named their line of Treos smartphones since the beginning.
  10. #10  
    Smart phone= a phone w/pda capabilities, etc
    Microsoft Windows Mobile smartphone edition= an operating system.

    Sorry, but the Treo IS a smart phone. So is a Treo 650. Go to Cnet and click on "editor's top smart phones" and you will see symbian, microsoft, palms, and blackberry's. If you want to know what OS it runs you look at the specs.

    I don't know who Gartner is, but they sound like a bunch of morons
  11. #11  
    They're pretty well-known analysts from what I understand. I think this may be them:

    http://www.gartner.com/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Smart phone= a phone w/pda capabilities, etc
    Microsoft Windows Mobile smartphone edition= an operating system.

    Sorry, but the Treo IS a smart phone. So is a Treo 650. Go to Cnet and click on "editor's top smart phones" and you will see symbian, microsoft, palms, and blackberry's. If you want to know what OS it runs you look at the specs.

    I don't know who Gartner is, but they sound like a bunch of morons
    Littlepat, Gartner is a very well known group of research analysts in the industry. It seems that you are not in the IT industry and that's ok. Other well known analysts are Forrester research and IDC. These people are rarely wrong, and people listen to them because they are very well respected for their accurate market trends and analysis. If they came out today and said PALM will not be in business a year from today, then you can bet it's not a prediction and they have FACTs to back up what they say.... Hope they don't come out and say that of course :-)

    A Treo 680, 650, 600 etc may be a SmartPhone but a Treo 750 and 750v are definitely not SmartPhones they are Pocket PC's. Here is the definition from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ut/faq.mspx#2; they set the STANDARD for what a Pocket PC is because they own the operating system and dictate to the manufactures how to make them. That little logo on your computer that shows a Windows XP logo isn't something that your PC manufacturer (Dell, HP, IBM, Gateway) just decided to stick on there. They had to get approval from Microsoft, and they had to pay money to Microsoft to get it tested to meet their specs.

    My initial post was for educational and informational purposes and not to start a debate, because this is NOT a debatable topic. After logging into Handango and trying to download software like PiePlus, Pocket Quicken, and a few other software titles that work on the Treo 750, I wanted to post to this forum to let people know that they will not be able to find software if they simply search for Smartphone software because Handango's site and other sites are going by name and not by actual function of the phone.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft

    What’s the difference between a Pocket PC and a Smartphone? (They should write "what the hell we call PocketPC or Smartphone, getting away all the standard names?")

    A: Pocket PCs (all the world calles it smartphones, but we don't) come with mobile versions of Office applications in addition to Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile. Though there are different Pocket PCs, many come with Wi-Fi to enable you to connect to the Internet when you are in a wireless hotspot. With a Pocket PC, you’ll be able to use Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile and browse the Internet if you have a device with Wi-Fi and are in a wireless hotspot. You can compose e-mail messages and send them by synchronizing with your desktop computer or wirelessly when you’re in a hotspot.

    You can do everything with a Pocket PC Phone that you can do with a Pocket PC with the addition of wireless access to the Internet and cellular phone capabilities. If you have a Pocket PC Phone, you can access the Internet through your wireless connection—you won’t need to find a wireless hotspot. Internet access incurs data charges from your wireless provider.

    You can add a wide variety of software titles to your Pocket PC and Pocket PC Phone. You can visit the Windows Mobile Certified Software Catalog, which lists certified applications for Windows Mobile powered devices.

    A smartphone (the same, we say smartphones, but they are feature phones) has phone capabilities and comes with a smaller set of applications. Though you can add third-party software titles to your smartphone, the smaller keypad and screen are designed to give you quick one-handed access to important data. A smartphone is a good choice for business users who need to check e-mail, keep track of their calendars, and take voice notes, but who don’t need the added functionality of Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile. If you find yourself wanting more functions after you’ve purchased your device, there are good third-party software titles designed to extend the capabilities of a Windows Mobile powered smartphone.
    Treos was there with touch screen much before than Microsoft decided to name things the way they want. Treos are smartphones, HTC Pocket PC Phone devices are smartphones, Nokia communicators are smartphones. It doesn't matters if they have touch screen or not. The capabilities defines the diference between smartphones or feature phones.
  14. #14  
    So MSFT is at the helm of the confusion, big surprise. Pocket PC phones are indeed usually called smartphones by the general public. However, would you believe Mobile Planet actually does what MSFT says? They place all PPC phones under their own category, and anything else with smartphone features is under Smartphones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #15  
    The term smart phone (2 words) has been used for years to describe any phone with enhanced functionality that you would normally only see on a PC: blackberry, pocket pc, Palm's, etc.

    mmereos= You kind of agree with me. You say that treo 750's are not smartphones but 650/680's are. None of those are smartphones, but they are all smart phones. And like I said, that's a term that has been used for years, before Microsoft decided to use this term for their OS. I agree with Gartner making a different category for the devices. But if they are not counted towards PDA sales then they are morons.

    Look, personally I know the difference, so this argument means very little to me. But someone who has NO IDEA about any of this, who is looking for a phone better than their RAZR, is looking for what? They want to know which device will be better for their needs: a Blackberyy? Palm phone? Pocket PC? Smartphone? What is the broad, non-specific classifictions of these phones? SMART PHONES. I didn't say so, the market said so years ago. And because of this, there will be confusion for years to come with this.
  16. #16  
    smartphone or smart phone refers to advanced cellular phones with PDA like qualities built in for enhanced email, web browsing, and PIM capabilities.

    WM Smartphone refers to a specific OS, not necessarily the device. Note the capital S which many analysts agree refers to the WM Smartphone OS (proper name).

    Think of a notebook computer. Some of us call it a laptop. We don't call them Windows XP mini computers. A treo IS a smartphone, but it's also a PPCphone, or you can refer to it as a PDAphone, or a converged phone.

    Yes, it is all confusing, and the majority of the population won't know all of this (anyone that does is a giant geek/nerd/dork whatever you want to call us )
  17. #17  
    Does anybody know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

    If the issue is knowing what software to buy for your new smartphone, then do your homework. If you're savvy enough to know that a 3rd party application is needed to supplement what comes out-of-the-box, you ought to be savvy enough to know what OS is running on your device and which applications are compatible.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  18. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
       #18  
    I love a good debate. And I think this thread will never die. It is obvious that there is a lot of confusion out there because even the software resellers are confused. Maybe I should have called this thread something different like "How to find the correct software for your Treo 750" But I'm glad I named it what it is.
    I also look to this Website to educate myself on these devices (SmartPhones(1 word), Smart Phones (2 words), Dumb Phones, Pocket PC's, whatever you want to call them)
    This is the website that helps people become SAVVY enough to know the difference between all these devices. And this thread will help people know that if they are looking for software for their TREO 750, that they should select "Pocket PC" when they are at websites like Handango, otherwise not all the software that is available for their Treo 750 will show up on a search.
  19. #19  
    it's a smart phone that runs the ppc version of wm5 (not the smartphone version of wm5).

    does that work?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    it's a smart phone that runs the ppc version of wm5 (not the smartphone version of wm5).

    does that work?
    LOL Depends who you ask. Gartner doesn't think so
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions