1.    #1  
    Hello

I just purchased a new Cingular Treo 750 off of eBay. I currently have a Cingular Treo 650 with a contract that will expire in July. (The plan includes the $40.00 / month Unlimited Data Connect service.)

When I receive the new phone, will I just be able to swap the SIM from the 650 into the 750? (The SIM card is a 64k card, not a 3G card) Do I have to call Cingular to activate the new phone or do I have to obtain a new SIM from them?

I couldn't find too much information regarding this upgrade in the archives...

Thanks for your help
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by armains View Post
    Hello

I just purchased a new Cingular Treo 750 off of eBay. I currently have a Cingular Treo 650 with a contract that will expire in July. (The plan includes the $40.00 / month Unlimited Data Connect service.)

When I receive the new phone, will I just be able to swap the SIM from the 650 into the 750? (The SIM card is a 64k card, not a 3G card) Do I have to call Cingular to activate the new phone or do I have to obtain a new SIM from them?

I couldn't find too much information regarding this upgrade in the archives...

Thanks for your help
    Andrew
    Yeah, if you want to take advantage of the 3G speed, you'll need to get a 3G sim card. They are free and you can pick one up and any Cingular Store.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I've read that many people are able to get 3G speeds with a 64k card. But to get a 3G card you only have to pay $20 or so at a Cingular store I think.
    19.99 for MediaUnlimited which gets you 3G service, but you do need the 64K card.
    My SIM stopped working and the charged $20 for a replacement. I think its free only if they are feeling generous.
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
    I gone into the store and asked for SIM cards about 5 times, never charged or even said anything about charging me.

I think you got ripped off....
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses! I'll let you know how it goes later this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutoffcirc View Post
    My SIM stopped working and the charged $20 for a replacement. I think its free only if they are feeling generous.
    Make sure you go to a company owned store rather than a reseller. A reseller will likely try to rip you off if they can, company stores are so much better IMO.

There is a flyer in the box that comes with the 750 that says if your 750 did not come with a 3G card you can get one for free at any Cingular location.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper View Post
    There is a flyer in the box that comes with the 750 that says if your 750 did not come with a 3G card you can get one for free at any Cingular location.
    I didn't even see the flyer until after i received my Free 3G replacement.
    I went from a 64K card. Nobody has been able to explain to me the technical reason why I needed to upgrade to a 3G card so to this day I really don't see any difference at all except for slightly slower download speeds. I used to get about 1.05MB before with the 64K card and now I"m getting no more then 900Kb.
    It's possible it's just my imagination, but I think you should add the HSDPA patch with your existing card, and run some speed tests by going to http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed before you get your new SIM and report back the speeds you get after.