Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Hello

    I just purchased a new Cingular Treo 750 off of eBay. I currently have a Cingular Treo 650 with a contract that will expire in July. (The plan includes the $40.00 / month Unlimited Data Connect service.)

    When I receive the new phone, will I just be able to swap the SIM from the 650 into the 750? (The SIM card is a 64k card, not a 3G card) Do I have to call Cingular to activate the new phone or do I have to obtain a new SIM from them?

    I couldn't find too much information regarding this upgrade in the archives...

    Thanks for your help
    Andrew
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by armains View Post
    Hello

    I just purchased a new Cingular Treo 750 off of eBay. I currently have a Cingular Treo 650 with a contract that will expire in July. (The plan includes the $40.00 / month Unlimited Data Connect service.)

    When I receive the new phone, will I just be able to swap the SIM from the 650 into the 750? (The SIM card is a 64k card, not a 3G card) Do I have to call Cingular to activate the new phone or do I have to obtain a new SIM from them?

    I couldn't find too much information regarding this upgrade in the archives...

    Thanks for your help
    Andrew
    Yeah, if you want to take advantage of the 3G speed, you'll need to get a 3G sim card. They are free and you can pick one up and any Cingular Store.
  3. mbamenra's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #3  
    I've read that many people are able to get 3G speeds with a 64k card. But to get a 3G card you only have to pay $20 or so at a Cingular store I think.
  4. #4  
    19.99 for MediaUnlimited which gets you 3G service, but you do need the 64K card.
  5. #5  
    My SIM stopped working and the charged $20 for a replacement. I think its free only if they are feeling generous.
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
  6. #6  
    I gone into the store and asked for SIM cards about 5 times, never charged or even said anything about charging me.

    I think you got ripped off....
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses! I'll let you know how it goes later this week.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cutoffcirc View Post
    My SIM stopped working and the charged $20 for a replacement. I think its free only if they are feeling generous.
    Make sure you go to a company owned store rather than a reseller. A reseller will likely try to rip you off if they can, company stores are so much better IMO.

    There is a flyer in the box that comes with the 750 that says if your 750 did not come with a 3G card you can get one for free at any Cingular location.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  9. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper View Post
    There is a flyer in the box that comes with the 750 that says if your 750 did not come with a 3G card you can get one for free at any Cingular location.
    I didn't even see the flyer until after i received my Free 3G replacement.
    I went from a 64K card. Nobody has been able to explain to me the technical reason why I needed to upgrade to a 3G card so to this day I really don't see any difference at all except for slightly slower download speeds. I used to get about 1.05MB before with the 64K card and now I"m getting no more then 900Kb.
    It's possible it's just my imagination, but I think you should add the HSDPA patch with your existing card, and run some speed tests by going to http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed before you get your new SIM and report back the speeds you get after.

Posting Permissions