Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Allright, so who hates scrolling?
    Wish that 240x240 screen didn't limit you so much?

Well, after messing around with Opera browser, Zoom levels, font sizes, and a little help from ClearType, you can browse the web at VGA-like resolution with very good readability!

Now, this isn't for everyone. Some people think it's too much strain for their eyes. Some people, like me, absolutely love the fact that with this you can browse large sites on a very desktop-like way, and suddently browsing the web isn't a claustrophobic feeling anymore.

So, you thinking to yourself: How does it look like? A picture is worth more than a thousand words... so there you go: (warning: It's a JPEG so the pics will kinda lose a little of their crispness. It will look better on your screen.)

On the left, the website is on PIE with Smallest font and "Default" view setting.
    On the right, on opera after the "tweak", "Fit to Screen" view.

So how is it done?

Finally a use for ClearType
    Now you can finally brag about having ClearType on your device. Without ClearType this tweak would be almost useless. At least that's my opinion anyway. I'm assuming you already know how to turn it on but just in case it's there at Settings > System > Screen > ClearType.

Get Opera Mobile Browser, and NO, im not talking about opera mini
    Opera mobile is a very, very capable browser. It's not slow either. If you are using the WX you should not be experiening much slowness with it. It is far better at rendering advanced webpages than PIE. You can even for example log into Gmail and use the full AJAX web client.
    There is a trial that you can get online. I think you will find it worth the money.

Settings
    Here is basically the simplest part of all. All you have to do now is the following:

- Open Opera Mobile (Advanced users: UPX it and you will see it start up and behave much faster)
    - Softkey Menu, Tools, Settings.
    - On the General tab, scrool down a little a under minimum font size, choose: 24. Trust me, not more, not less. It will make your text look like crap. This is just right! Hit OK.
    - Softkey Menu, Display, Zoom. Choose 25%. Yes i said 25.. Just do it.
    - Softkey Menu, Display, Fit to Screen. This is kinda optional, Desktop just fine too. Just trying to save you some scrolling.

And thats it, pretty much! Lemme know what you guys think of it.
    which version of opera MOBILE are u usin, I didny see any treos listed . Or better yet can you put a link on hear to get opera mobile. And does it come as a demo since i certainly dont want to pay if i dont like it.

Disregard this post I found it
  3. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Sounds cool. Would you happen to have the link to cleartype? I googled it & just found Clear Type Applet v1.00 from FreewarePPC.com,will that work?
    ok i did it not bad at sll i think i like it. my question is does my temp internet files still goto my sd card using opera or do i have to reconfigure that
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Sounds cool. Would you happen to have the link to cleartype? I googled it & just found Clear Type Applet v1.00 from FreewarePPC.com,will that work?
    hmmm.. It's built in already. Just go to Start > Settings > System > Screen > Cleartype and turn it on.
    ok more like a magnifying glass to read but I still like it looks more like a real browser now. Can u give some directions on how to use upx though to help speed the browser up.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Nice work, this has bugged me about PIE since day 1.
    sounds cool. nice write up.

i surf alot ever day. i may have to give this a shot this weekend.