1.    #1  
    I've just moved from a Mio A701 to the Treo 750v and am loving it.

However I like to listen to MP3's etc using my niose cancelling headphones.

The audio adapter I used on the Mio doesn't work with the Treo.

I noticed that the audio jack was different, a 4 pole? version.

I've now had 3 different adapters from various places that are supposed to be compatable, but I either get no audio or mono audio!

Any one give me a link o a place that sells one that works - in stereo?!

TIA
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Well, this one works on my 650 and is said to work on the 750 as well. Seidio has one that looks identical - may actually be the same. You want to avoid one that sticks far out of the jack as sideways pressure on the plug can damage the jack (as many 650 owners can attest.)
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Various such 3.5mm-to-2.5mm adapters will "almost" work, but they often have too much rubber preventing the 2.5mm plug to fully enter the Treo (at least on the 600/650 - does the 750 still use 2.5mm?).

What I did was get the cheapest/smallest one I could find then grabbed a pocket knife and shaved enough rubber around the 2.5mm end to allow full entry.

YMMV - but this was the 99 cent solution for me...I was impatient :-)
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Yes, the 750 uses the same jack as the 650.

http://software.palminfocenter.com/p...es.asp?id=4256

note that the plug has 2 rings plus the tip...

http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireles...l.asp?id=46049

note the 3 rings and the tip on the plug...

for anyone who's ever heard the term "tip and ring" in the POTS telephone business, it originated from the telephone company operator's plugs on their switchboards.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Guys.

I too noticed the 2 rings and the 3 rings on the plugs too. I compared the plug with the headphones supplied by Palm, they had 3 rings, so I made sure I bought an adapter with 3 rings from expansys.com.

However when I tried it, firstly I got no sound, then after a bit of jiggling got mono sound in right ear, so I sent them back for a refund.

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=127183

Also, these were available:

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=118289

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=113091

These too have the 3 rings like the supplied headphones, but reading the forums they don't work either.

Even the ones in the shop here on this site, someone has reviewed them and said they don't work!

I didn't think that it would be so hard to find such a simple adapter!
    Yeah, none of the 3 ring adapters that I've tried work either. The 2 ring adapters work fine however.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    It's not the number of rings (though if it only has one, it's mono) - it's the shell around the plug that prevents full insertion. Please rre-ead my earlier suggestion on how to make your "must jiggle it first" adapter work...
    The obvious (and expensive) solution is to use BT Stereo Headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The obvious (and expensive) solution is to use BT Stereo Headphones.
    Perhaps. I use Plantronics Pulsar 590A BT Wireless Stereo headset. I paid $250- for it and thought it a great value. I think you find that you can get it for less than half that.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/20/2007 at 07:30 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    hmm, I think that is only for the 650. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it won't work on later devices.
    You might be right as I never tried it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Yeah, none of the 3 ring adapters that I've tried work either. The 2 ring adapters work fine however.
    I used my 2 ring one from my Mio - it didn't work for me!

EDMC - I've got nothing to lose, so I may as well get my craft knife ot and give it a go.

BT stereo headphones would work, it's just I've got a really nice pair of Senheiser noise cancelling headphones which cost me 100, that's why I'd like to use them!

Thanks for your suggestions guys - appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by spikesclone View Post
    I used my 2 ring one from my Mio - it didn't work for me!

EDMC - I've got nothing to lose, so I may as well get my craft knife ot and give it a go.

BT stereo headphones would work, it's just I've got a really nice pair of Senheiser noise cancelling headphones which cost me 100, that's why I'd like to use them!

Thanks for your suggestions guys - appreciated!
    I understand. I am waiting for noise-canceling wireless. However, right now, since I have both, I have a choice. Wireless seems to win most of the time.
  16.    #16  
    edmc!

Cheers Mate!
    Took a craft knife to my current adapter, and cut a lot of the plastic away - tried it in Treo, makes good contact now and stereo works beautifully!!

Thanks!