1.    #1  
    OK maybe this is generally known, but I didn't know it, and maybe others will find it useful.

Do you ever need to do searches in your Contacts by phone number, or even Area Code? Yes, you can use the Global Find thing, but that's a pain.

An example would be - I see this phone number, and I think it might belong to someone in my database, but I don't know who it belongs to. Or maybe someone called you from a similar number, and you wonder about the location or if you have a contact at that same office (whatever - the details aren't as important as the coolness of this tip). Here's what you can do:

Get into your contacts – Start/Contacts, or Today Screen/Menu/Contacts – whatever – just get into your contact list view. Then do this:

Hold the Option Key, and then enter some numbers – you’ll be doing a phone number search inside Contacts. Pretty cool. Maybe that’s not news to anyone but it was news to me.

Enjoy!
    nice. I didn't know this. did you just find this or did someone else tell you?
    if you press the option key twice (which enables number lock) it will do the same thing.

now that I think about it I'm thinking we maybe the only two people that didn't know this. anyhow...lol
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    That is very cool, although it looks like it only works for numbers listed first for a particular contact. For example, if I have a contact named Phyllis Diller with a home number, work number, and mobile number, it will only locate the home number since that is listed first in the list. Very odd if you ask me, and probably a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    That is very cool, although it looks like it only works for numbers listed first for a particular contact. For example, if I have a contact named Phyllis Diller with a home number, work number, and mobile number, it will only locate the home number since that is listed first in the list. Very odd if you ask me, and probably a bug.
    I don't think so. Whenever you search through a database (at least with foxpro and excel), the computer "orders" the field you are looking up. So when you start typing a phone number, in the CPU's index, everything is in phone number order. They are no longer in contact order, so my home number (718)... will be with other 718 numbers, not with my (917) ... mobile number.
  6.    #6  
    I found this as a side result of the multiple email message delete tip (hold shift while pressing any a-z letter, and then release Shift (Option works also) and then press down on the 5-way), and I was trying to find a similar key combo to do the same thing with mass deleting of contacts.....
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    I don't think so. Whenever you search through a database (at least with foxpro and excel), the computer "orders" the field you are looking up. So when you start typing a phone number, in the CPU's index, everything is in phone number order. They are no longer in contact order, so my home number (718)... will be with other 718 numbers, not with my (917) ... mobile number.
    I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't work that way - at least not on my 700wx. The ONLY phone numbers that show up when I start entering a number in the search field is the 1st number listed under a contact. Test this yourself on a contact that has multiple phone numbers and you'll see what I mean.
    Ohhhhhhh...I see what you mean. Yeah, that's dumb indeed.