Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone has gotten WiFi to work on their Cingukar version 750 with Spectec Mini WiFi Card ?
    I have the Spectec MiniSD wifi card. There are also at least 2 old threads on using it with the 750v around here and the experience is similar.

It works on the Treo 750 (Cingular.) When it works, it works well. But I have the following problems with it:
    1) About every 60-90 seconds, it just stops working for about 10 seconds. The data just stops, the led sits solid (idle), as if it has no data flow. Then it just comes back and works fine for another 60-90 seconds.
    This type of interruption means that it works OK for email and web, but it's nearly impossible to get it to work well with streaming music or slingbox. The drop outs are too disruptive.
    2) As long as you're using it, it stays working. But if you let the Treo go in to standby for more than a few mins or if you stop using data for long enough, the Wifi card just dies. You can eject/insert it all you want, but it won't ever work until you reset the treo. Even then it's best to reset it with the card in (although usually works either way.)
    3) When the Treo goes in to standby it turns off the wifi. When it wakes up it re-activates wifi. But this is common to all WM5 PocketPCs. even the Cingular 8525 disconnects wifi when going to sleep. So it you want to leave it connected and unattended, you have to set the power down settings to never (like never power down when connected to charger.)
    However I've done this and after about 15 mins the Treo still loses the wifi card.

Download speeds are generally about 1.1Mbps. This is typical for wifi performance even on the Cingular 8525.

So as you can see it works. But doesn't work well. It's good for very specific uses like you just set up a new email account and want to sync the inbox (download all of the messages/attachments) before turning it lose to maintain over wireless. Or you want to download a program to it. It even works well if you know you'll be web surfing for 30 mins straight or something.
    But having to reset the treo to get the wifi working is very frustrating and disruptive.

When I can find one (and I have had no luck yet) I plan to get the Spectec MicroSD wifi card. I have a MicroSD to MiniSD adapter that should work and I want to try it in the Treo to see if it works any differently.

Oh yeah, as far as sticking out. It does stick out and you can't close the card slot door. So no, you can't leave it in. Even if you take off the card door it sticks out just enough so that it's going to cause problems getting ejected or snagging on something.
    So you really can only use it by carrying it with you and using it when needed. You can't just leave it in and let it go.

I really hope Palm gets their act together and includes WiFi in the next Treo. Even if that was THE ONLY added feaure to the 750's successor, I'd spend the money and upgrade.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    What he said. I've had the same experiences. If you really want to do wifi it's possible, but the solution is so poor I can't recommend it at all. I haven't used mine in two months.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I have the Spectec MiniSD wifi card. There are also at least 2 old threads on using it with the 750v around here and the experience is similar.

It works on the Treo 750 (Cingular.) When it works, it works well. But I have the following problems with it:
    1) About every 60-90 seconds, it just stops working for about 10 seconds. The data just stops, the led sits solid (idle), as if it has no data flow. Then it just comes back and works fine for another 60-90 seconds.
    This type of interruption means that it works OK for email and web, but it's nearly impossible to get it to work well with streaming music or slingbox. The drop outs are too disruptive.
    2) As long as you're using it, it stays working. But if you let the Treo go in to standby for more than a few mins or if you stop using data for long enough, the Wifi card just dies. You can eject/insert it all you want, but it won't ever work until you reset the treo. Even then it's best to reset it with the card in (although usually works either way.)
    3) When the Treo goes in to standby it turns off the wifi. When it wakes up it re-activates wifi. But this is common to all WM5 PocketPCs. even the Cingular 8525 disconnects wifi when going to sleep. So it you want to leave it connected and unattended, you have to set the power down settings to never (like never power down when connected to charger.)
    However I've done this and after about 15 mins the Treo still loses the wifi card.

Download speeds are generally about 1.1Mbps. This is typical for wifi performance even on the Cingular 8525.

So as you can see it works. But doesn't work well. It's good for very specific uses like you just set up a new email account and want to sync the inbox (download all of the messages/attachments) before turning it lose to maintain over wireless. Or you want to download a program to it. It even works well if you know you'll be web surfing for 30 mins straight or something.
    But having to reset the treo to get the wifi working is very frustrating and disruptive.

When I can find one (and I have had no luck yet) I plan to get the Spectec MicroSD wifi card. I have a MicroSD to MiniSD adapter that should work and I want to try it in the Treo to see if it works any differently.

Oh yeah, as far as sticking out. It does stick out and you can't close the card slot door. So no, you can't leave it in. Even if you take off the card door it sticks out just enough so that it's going to cause problems getting ejected or snagging on something.
    So you really can only use it by carrying it with you and using it when needed. You can't just leave it in and let it go.

I really hope Palm gets their act together and includes WiFi in the next Treo. Even if that was THE ONLY added feaure to the 750's successor, I'd spend the money and upgrade.
    Thanks very much for the input.

Well, I have purchases a Spectec Mini SD WiFi Card and can't get it to work.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions ?

I have already download the Hack to Disable and Enable Internet Explorer and still I cannot get it to work.
    Did you install the driver? I don't remember which one it was called but without the driver it won't work. Do a forum search, there is a very long thread from a couple of months ago that goes over this.
    What doesn't work? Does the card start up and find the wireless network? Or does it not even do that?
    Or does it work and you can't get out to the internet?

I used the driver from here:
    http://www.spectec.com.tw/Download.htm#wlan
    I don't know if it's any different than the one that was on the CD (I never even looked at the CD.)
    Use the:
    SDW-820/822 Driver CAB WM5.0 1.07.01 2007/01/12 SDW-820/822 driver for WM5.0
    Direct DL Link:
    http://60.248.111.19/DOWNLOAD/sdw-82...n11b-14CNU.CAB

Then insert the card, and press the reset button on the Treo.
    When it comes up, open up "wireless manager" and you should see a 3rd item on the screen (in addition to Phone and Bluetooth) for the wifi.
    Click the "Menu" soft key and select "wifi settings" if you need to.
    But when you put the card in, it sould start up and automatically find the access point and display an on-screen pop up message asking you if you want to connect.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  7.    #7  
    What doesn't work? Does the card start up and find the wireless network? Or does it not even do that?
    Or does it work and you can't get out to the internet?

I used the driver from here:
    I don't know if it's any different than the one that was on the CD (I never even looked at the CD.)
    Use the:
    SDW-820/822 Driver CAB WM5.0 1.07.01 2007/01/12 SDW-820/822 driver for WM5.0
    Direct DL Link:
    http://60.248.111.19/DOWNLOAD/sdw-82...n11b-14CNU.CAB

Then insert the card, and press the reset button on the Treo.
    When it comes up, open up "wireless manager" and you should see a 3rd item on the screen (in addition to Phone and Bluetooth) for the wifi.
    Click the "Menu" soft key and select "wifi settings" if you need to.
    But when you put the card in, it sould start up and automatically find the access point and display an on-screen pop up message asking you if you want to connect.
    Thanks for the link as well as for the info.

I can get it hook up to my network but I cannot access the Internet nor I cannot check my mail.

I must have miss something ...............................
    Mine works great but I get 2.3Mbps
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    How do you get it to work on your network ?
    Yeah, what's the magic recipe? Mine doesn't work great.
    Define great. It doesn't stop working and need a soft reset? If it does, I wouldn't define that as great. Personally, I regard mine as one of the two biggest wastes of money I've spent on the Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Hmm WIFI??? WHY??? I get 890KPS (hack installed) using 3G and I dont have to be in a wifi hot spot. I simply dont see the point.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Well, if you're in an area without UMTS (such as my entire state) and there's a WiFi hot spot around, ...
  14.    #14  
    Someone please post instruction on how to get your Treo 750 to use WiFi .....

I got the software loaded and it recognizes my network but when I use Internet Explorer, it cannot get online.

What am I missing ?
    It sounds like you got the WiFi working, but you're getting hung up on the Cingular proxy setting.
    Install the .cab file (it's just a registry edit) to disable the proxy setting from my web site (link below in my signature.)
    Then give it another try. Download and save both .cab files so you can enable/disable at will.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Yeah, what's the magic recipe? Mine doesn't work great.

There is a .cab file that RF9 posted on HOFO that enables or disables the Cingular proxy. I disable the proxy and launch my wifi card and I am golden. Works great. I was just surfing the net at the Tokyo airport two days ago with no issues at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Define great. It doesn't stop working and need a soft reset? If it does, I wouldn't define that as great. Personally, I regard mine as one of the two biggest wastes of money I've spent on the Treo.
    I do have to soft reset if I have not used the card in awhile so it is recognized. But for me that is not a big deal since I rarely use wifi anyway. The few times I use it I do not mind having to do that. Other then that it works for me.
  18.    #18  
    Finally got my WiFi working....

I have to insert my WiFi card, disable my Proxy, and then do a Soft reset.

Once I did that it worked, but still not as fast I liked it to be.

Thanks guys for the help.
    The performance and intermitancy of the Spectec wifi card is bad enough that it sometmes makes me want to switch back to the Cingular 8525. Ugh, but Ilove my 750.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Has anyone else noticed that the Spectec website has new drivers posted on it? I saw them just the other day and I've found that the card is much more stable with this version. My Treo would frequently stop recognizing the card, but now that is very uncommon.

Anyone else have experience with these drivers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast