1.    #1  
    my battery problem.

This is my second phone with this problem - extremely poor battery life.

It seems to be caused by the data connection remaining active (double arrows) even after I'm done using the data connection.

Cingular and Palm both said that it was normal for the data connection to remain open until it is manually closed.

The problem seems to be that when the data connection is used at all by PUSH mail or POP3 (check every xx minutes) the data connection becomes active and stays that way throughout the day (unless manually disconnected). This is a huge drain on the battery. Cingular admitted this, but didn't seem to have a solution. He did say that he couldn't believe the phone wouldn't standby for at least 2-3 days.

Palm said that there are NO battery issues with the phone and there is NO ROM update in the works at this time.

I am very disappointed. This is my first Treo and I waited a long time on a windows Treo offered by Cingular.

Just thought you guys may be interested.

Shannon
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Try changing the sync interval. I have read a few posts where people said their 750s were syncing every 5 to 10 minutes. Also, Palm just released (tonight) an update for the 680 that addresses a battery issue, maybe one will eventually come for the 750. It has also been stated that the battery life gets better and longer the longer you have the phone. As in, it last longer a week or so after you first get it. Thisi is especially noted by 680 owners. Sounds like battery conditioning.
    Honestly, if you are willing to go this far, try changing to a mail2web account and see if you have the issue. If you want to keep your "other" email address as the reply address they charge 2.00/month, but it is also free just as an exchange client
    I had battery problem at first too, but 10 days later it's much better. Here's what I did: 1) activesync checks my exchange server for calendar and contacts only every hour, only during business hours, 2) email checks IMAP every 30 minutes. This had been set to POP3, but read something about POP3 being more of a drain. Changed deliver settings so that only specified interval delivery in account options. Global delivery was also marked when I was having a problem, but now it is empty. 3) Bluetooth off when don't need it.

Now phone was at about 50% when i plugged in tonight and that's with a reasonable amount of internet (3g and gprs) use plus email and syncing as above and a few short calls.

May also be that battery does get better with time....
    that's odd, i'm on push get TONS of mail each day and talk on the phone as well with my battery just a bit past 1/2.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Tonight I deleted my exchange server on the mobile device and re-added as someone in another thread suggested and my exchange syncs went from every 3 minutes to every 8 minutes. Hopefully, that should greatly improve battery life.
  7.    #7  
    I was pretty sure at first that the "auto syncing" was the problem with the battery. mine was syncing every 1-2 minutes at first, but i deleted the server and added it back and that seems to have stopped ... but the data connection always remains active after the first connection is made (does everyone elses?) . yesterday, i set activesync to "manual" and my battery life was still bad. then i manually disconnected the data connection and the battery life wasn't falling nearly as fast.

So, maybe push mail does have something to do with it, but I believe that an ACTIVE UTMS connection constantly is what is killing the battery. I may be wrong though ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    I was pretty sure at first that the "auto syncing" was the problem with the battery. mine was syncing every 1-2 minutes at first, but i deleted the server and added it back and that seems to have stopped ... but the data connection always remains active after the first connection is made (does everyone elses?) . yesterday, i set activesync to "manual" and my battery life was still bad. then i manually disconnected the data connection and the battery life wasn't falling nearly as fast.

So, maybe push mail does have something to do with it, but I believe that an ACTIVE UTMS connection constantly is what is killing the battery. I may be wrong though ..........
    my data connection stays alive but I don't think it's active.
  9.    #9  
    data active: has the double arrows
    data available: is just the U or G in a white box

according to Cingular, at least.
    Last edited by scollins; 01/19/2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    no
    U and G box means you can connect. double arrows means you're on the network and it gave you an ip but doesn't mean there is network traffic. My phone has gained a large amount of battery life since going to 4smartphone or mail2web instead of the xpressmail push. I have bluetooth on and by end of my work day battery is at around 60% not bad. I start from 7am to 4-5 pm. Before this i would hit 60% around noon using xpressmail. I am not sure why your's drains mor but i'm in a Edge/umts border area and my phone swamps between the 2 very often.