Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Does the data connection indicator (G or U) show up at the top of the screen when only the "today" screen is on? When I switch to IE, Outlook, or Activesync it shows the connection, but I don't see it when the today screen is up. I am using PUSH mail.

    Basically where should I see the "G" or "U"?

    Thanks,
    Shannon
  2. ksoliz's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #2  
    You should always be able to see it, it shows just to the left of the signal strength.

    Not connected data...

    - You'll see a capital "U" for UTMS coverage
    - You'll see a capital "G" for GSM/GPRS/EDGE coverage

    Connected data...

    - You'll see a small capital "U" with two small left and right directional arrows underneath for UTMS
    - You'll see a small capital "G" with two small left and right directional arrows underneath for GSM
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksoliz View Post
    You should always be able to see it, it shows just to the left of the signal strength.

    Not connected data...

    - You'll see a capital "U" for UTMS coverage
    - You'll see a capital "G" for GSM/GPRS/EDGE coverage

    Connected data...

    - You'll see a small capital "U" with two small left and right directional arrows underneath for UTMS
    - You'll see a small capital "G" with two small left and right directional arrows underneath for GSM
    Shouldn't the small "G" indicated connected 3G network as well ?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk2888 View Post
    Shouldn't the small "G" indicated connected 3G network as well ?
    No the small "g" tells you that you are picking up gprs or edge.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  5. ksoliz's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #5  
    Unfortunately no, any G you see denotes a GSM/GPRS/EDGE signal.

    3G signal/service is indicated by the U
  6. #6  
    3G signal-service is indicated by the U. THe only really way to determne if you are on H or True G is a speed check. They aill be pushing the 3g indicator out shortly via update.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the replies. I feel like a moron though...the reason I couldn't see the indicator is because I have magic button and it was set to only show 2 icons ... therefore hiding the indicator. All is well now. Sorry for the screwup!
  8. ksoliz's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #8  
    Ah yes, magic button... I've run into that as well. I think I have mine set to show 4 icons
  9. #9  
    My indicator constantly shows 2 small arrows and the "u" or "g" indicating that it it connected. Is this normal? Does this drain my battery? I have set activsync to check for emails from my server every 30 minutes i.e. not set for push. Not happy with my battery life is this the reason why it might be draining. Thanks for the help.
  10. ksoliz's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoness View Post
    My indicator constantly shows 2 small arrows and the "u" or "g" indicating that it it connected. Is this normal? Does this drain my battery? I have set activsync to check for emails from my server every 30 minutes i.e. not set for push. Not happy with my battery life is this the reason why it might be draining. Thanks for the help.
    Yes, it does significantly drain your battery. Not sure if its normal :-)

    Basically with any email polling/constant data connection app you're going to see that icon. All it means is you have an active data connection using either GPRS/EDGE (small G with arrows) or UTMS (small U with arrows).

    I did some testing and the difference in battery life w/o activesync/direct push enabled is significant, it's much better. However, still falls well sort of the claimed standby times.

    I think there are serious issues with the way the phone handles the data connections, there doesn't appear to be an idle/dormant mode like with EVDO. I'm not sure if UTMS/HSDPA even supports thats. The obvious benefit to the idle/dormant feature with EVDO is once your finished sending/receiving the EVDO radio goes into basically a standby mode (idle/dormant) drawing less power but still maintains the "always on connection".

    GSM/UTMS 3G Data issues aside, there are still overall problems with the battery life on the 750 which will hopefully be addressed with a ROM update.
  11.    #11  
    My data connection indicator shows the double arrows whenever push mail is enabled. I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

    However, even when push mail is not enabled I get the double arrows. If I turn the phone off, when it first starts up I get either the U (no arrows) or G (no arrows) but as soon as I make the first data connection (email or internet) it stays on after that ... unless I manually click on the data indicator and click "close". I believe this is reason the battery life is horrible.

    Basically the data connection never "hangs up" ...
    Does anyone know how to make it "close" once it's not being used anymore? Would it be correct for it to stay on constantly if push mail is enabled?

    Shannon
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    Basically the data connection never "hangs up" ...
    Does anyone know how to make it "close" once it's not being used anymore? Would it be correct for it to stay on constantly if push mail is enabled?

    Shannon
    anyone?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut View Post
    3G signal-service is indicated by the U. THe only really way to determne if you are on H or True G is a speed check. They aill be pushing the 3g indicator out shortly via update.
    Ok dumb question, when you say "they will be pushing the 3g indicator", who do you mean by they.

    Also how do I check to see if I am really getting 3g speed?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    My data connection indicator shows the double arrows whenever push mail is enabled...However, even when push mail is not enabled I get the double arrows. If I turn the phone off, when it first starts up I get either the U (no arrows) or G (no arrows) but as soon as I make the first data connection (email or internet) it stays on after that ... unless I manually click on the data indicator and click "close"...Basically the data connection never "hangs up" ...
    Same here. What push mail are you using? i am using Goodlink and I have no faith that they are efficiently using my data connection.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  15.    #15  
    I'm using 4smartphone. It works great (except for the last 2 days! - they've had a server problem).
    When I first added them as my exchange server my phone was syncng every couple of minutes regardles of the schedule setting that I gave it. I deleted the server and re-added it and set to "as items arrive" and it seems to be better now...
  16. #16  
    The double arrows indicate a data connection is established and ready. It doesn't indicate data tranfer is active. Just as your phone is in standby mode to receive a call, the data is usually on standby ready to transfer data.
    When data is connected and inactive, it doesn't use any more power/battery, so you need not obsess over disconnecting it when it's not being used.
    Basically the data connection is established and will stay open and ready until some event (you disconnect it manually, lose signal, sometimes switching to a roaming tower) causes it to drop.
    So your email can check once at 2pm and the data session can still be open at 6pm even if no data was actually transfered during that time. So unfortunately you don't really know what's using data and when unless you manually disconnect it in between.
    Interestingly this is also how it appears on your Cingular bill. From every connect until disconnect is counted as one entry on your bill. So the more often you disconnect, the more pages you'll have on your bill.
    There are a few apps I've seen out there that will disconnect you data session automatically after a period of inactivity. But I believe there's no benefit to using one. When you data is idle, it doesn't use power except for ther occasional communtication with the network that your phone makes regardless.
    But if you have push mail on it definitely is using data more often and on a regular basis. I don't know how often or much, but it's safe to say more frequently.
    I personally would rather have an app that added a data activity icon like I have on my Blackberry.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G

Posting Permissions