1.    #1  
    Greetings everyone, I just received my first batch of VZW 700w and found that there is NO PDF Viewer out of the box!!!??? I'll leave all my ranting for my VZW rep. I am going to be deploying about 75 of these devices and my users need to open PDF documents...

Anyway.. My question is this...

Adobe vs Piscel PDF Viewer?

From the sounds of it, Adobe is a memory hog. Has anyone had any other issues with Adobe? I did read one post that a user was having trouble with Piscel, but after downloading version 10 it appeared to be working fine.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Picsel has been fine for me (can't beat the price either):

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...sel/index.html
    Picsel is great, and its available for free for 700w owners on Palm's 700w support page.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo700wverizon/
    Iíve been using Adobe & while youíre right in saying itís a memory hog, it works just fine with me.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    PocketXpdf is also good and free. It is easy to install - no CAB file or anything like that, just drag the program folder on the device and you're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobGraves View Post
    Greetings everyone, I just received my first batch of VZW 700w and found that there is NO PDF Viewer out of the box!!!??? I'll leave all my ranting for my VZW rep. I am going to be deploying about 75 of these devices and my users need to open PDF documents...

Anyway.. My question is this...

Adobe vs Piscel PDF Viewer?

From the sounds of it, Adobe is a memory hog. Has anyone had any other issues with Adobe? I did read one post that a user was having trouble with Piscel, but after downloading version 10 it appeared to be working fine.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    I played with both a bit since they are both free and have both installed. I'll be removing picsel shortly.

Picsel has 1/10th the utility of adobe. If you just view simple documents and only use it occassionally it's fine, but it's missing some key features like bookmarks and a find function. Adobe has a much better zoom function and scroll function. I've had a few documents that wouldn't open with picsel but opened with adobe. I've had some that would only appear in black and white on picsel while the colors rendered fine in adobe. While I hate that adobe is 7k and can't be put on the storage card, picsel is simply too limited for my tastes.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    I've tried to use picsel and had a horrid time trying to view the document...zooming in is near impossible with the version i used. Maybe I just didn't know the program adequately, but I use the adobe and haven't had any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastortroy View Post
    I've tried to use picsel and had a horrid time trying to view the document...zooming in is near impossible with the version i used. Maybe I just didn't know the program adequately, but I use the adobe and haven't had any problems.
    zooming with picsel is actually pretty easy and actually quicker than adobe, although adobe has better zoom functions. In Picsel, clicking on the center d pad button switches between scrolling and zooming.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    One can go around and around, a dozen times, on Palm's Website, trying to download Picsel Viewer. Put in the device serial number and end up only on a generic support page for Palm products. http://www.palm.com/us/support/ What gives? I'm sure there is an oversight here, but as usual, end-users simply end up using all their free time.
    §-- JMS --§
    No native pdf reader sounded bad, and then I thought about it. My PC doesn't even come with a pdf reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    No native pdf reader sounded bad, and then I thought about it. My PC doesn't even come with a pdf reader.
    But downloading one is a snap.
    Quote Originally Posted by strideman View Post
    One can go around and around, a dozen times, on Palm's Website, trying to download Picsel Viewer. Put in the device serial number and end up only on a generic support page for Palm products. http://www.palm.com/us/support/ What gives? I'm sure there is an oversight here, but as usual, end-users simply end up using all their free time.
    Do you have a Treo 700w or a WX?

WX products don't come with Picsel. Hence we can't download the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by adster View Post
    Do you have a Treo 700w or a WX?

WX products don't come with Picsel. Hence we can't download the update.
    Do YOU have a WX? What you're saying simply isn't true.

My WX came with the Picsel viewer in the ROM. I didn't have to download it or install it from CD.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 01/29/2007 at 09:51 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Do YOU have a WX? What you're saying simply isn't true.

My WX came with the Picsel viewer in the ROM. I didn't have to download it or install it from CD.
    My 700W back in January 2006 also had Picsel on the CD-ROM, although PALM later came out with an upgrade version on their site. I had zero problems downloading the new version.

Picsel has less functions than ADOBE, and at first I did not understand how you were supposed to use the d-pad and center button to make Picsel work the way one needs it to work. However, once I figured it out, it beats the hell out of ADOBE for actual practical usage, IMHO.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    it beats the hell out of ADOBE for actual practical usage, IMHO.
    YMMV. I completely disagree. In picsel you can't view bookmarks and there is no find function and the zooming isn't comparable at all. I find the 5 way support in adobe much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    YMMV. I completely disagree. In picsel you can't view bookmarks and there is no find function and the zooming isn't comparable at all. I find the 5 way support in adobe much better.
    I certainly think it depends on what PDFs you view. I agree there is no functionality for find, bookmarks, etc.., but for just loading up .pdf files quickly and reading them, I find Picsel to be much cleaner and easier.

Don't agree about 5-way support though. With Picsel, Inever have to use the stylus to view and zoom documents.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Yes, my fault. My WX does have Picsel, I just never realized it! And it's version 1.1.6, newer then the one avail for Verizon