1.    #1  
    Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, figured this would be a good place.

bcaslis: do you use both the blackberry AND the 750? If so do you plan to use both PLUS the iphone? If not which do you think would be your preferred phone?

Just curious, thanks!
    I currently have the pearl and 750, I'm trying to decide between the two. The Pearl is utterly dead reliable. No problems at all, but it doesn't have 3G. The Treo has 3G but lots of little bugs and it seems like it can't be relied on. The Cingular version has some things fixed compared to the Vodaphone version but seems to have it's own quirks. I had the sound on the back speaker and vibration stop yesterday, others are reporting this too.

Once the iPhone comes out, unless it has major problems it replace any other phone I have.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I currently have the pearl and 750, I'm trying to decide between the two. The Pearl is utterly dead reliable. No problems at all, but it doesn't have 3G. The Treo has 3G but lots of little bugs and it seems like it can't be relied on. The Cingular version has some things fixed compared to the Vodaphone version but seems to have it's own quirks. I had the sound on the back speaker and vibration stop yesterday, others are reporting this too.

Once the iPhone comes out, unless it has major problems it replace any other phone I have.
    I know and have seen you on here for years. I made a TC departure for a while and recently came back... I am actually interested, not baiting you.

How many phones have you left a Treo for and came back? Again, I am not harassing you, I am genuinely interested.
    I, like bcaslis, often venture away from Treo's. And I've owned most of them, except for the 680 and 700p. It seems there is always something wrong with them, and I leave them behind. I move on to other devices, and I come to appreciate the Treo's EASE OF USE factor and come back. Right now I have a Hermes and 750, like bcaslis who has the Pearl and 750.

If the 750 fixed its bluetooth issues, and had a better screen, it would be PERFECT in my eyes. And considering the fact that BT has been an issue with the 700's for OVER A YEAR, I find it totally unacceptable that they have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fix it. I can at least understand the screen, Palm wanting to keep the dimensions of the phone for ease-of-use one-handed, but this BT problem should have AT LEAST been fixed w/the wx, not the 750. And it wasn't even fixed with the 750!

Treo recent history:

600/650: DbCache memory leak problem. Crappy BT problem
    680: Battery problem, how's the BT (I dunno)
    700 w: Still crappy BT, no RAM
    700wx: STILL crappy BT
    700p: (no idea, check the 700p forum)
    750v: Still the BT problem?????? NO WAY!
    Actually, I've never "left" the Treo since I've tried and used a number of devices but still had a Treo during those times. I may leave the Treo if I end up returning the Cingular 750. I'm actually impressed that a number of issues on the Vodaphone 750 have been improved. But I've only had it couple of days and had twice the sound and vibration stop working on it. I have no idea what is causing this or what combination makes it occur. If this keeps happening I'll probably return it. But the 3G data works much better on the Cingular 750 (at least on Cingular's network).

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I know and have seen you on here for years. I made a TC departure for a while and recently came back... I am actually interested, not baiting you.

How many phones have you left a Treo for and came back? Again, I am not harassing you, I am genuinely interested.
    I agree that this is what burns me. I understand that they have bugs, but could they at least try to fix them? Like you said, the bluetooth has been partially broken since the 700w and they don't do anything about it.

In the time since the 700w has been out, there have been two major firmware updates on the Motorola Q fixing bugs and adding functionality. Palm releases new models without fixing the old or new models!

They used to be not too bad, there were a number of firmware updates for the 650. But in the past year, they act like they just don't care about fixing the problems. That's what drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    ...If the 750 fixed its bluetooth issues, and had a better screen, it would be PERFECT in my eyes. And considering the fact that BT has been an issue with the 700's for OVER A YEAR, I find it totally unacceptable that they have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fix it. I can at least understand the screen, Palm wanting to keep the dimensions of the phone for ease-of-use one-handed, but this BT problem should have AT LEAST been fixed w/the wx, not the 750. And it wasn't even fixed with the 750!
    I'm surprised that the carriers don't put more pressure on Palm to fix this. They (Palm) seem to cave into pressure. The best example is the 700wx sms fiasco. It took several months, but pressure from both Sprint and the user community drove them to fix it.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I can't believe everyone is having so much issues with their Treo's. My 650 & (knock on wood) have been pretty much flawless. With the occasional freeze up reboot, they're pretty much functioned as expected.

Guess i'm just a luck one.
    The 650 wasn't bad after the firmware updates. I agree it mostly worked as it should. My problems have been with every Treo since then. The 700w, 700p, 700wx, and now 750 have all had issues. I really disliked the Palm response on the Treocentral home page about the user letter outlining issues with 700p. Basically their response is that some things (the lag) are there due to how they built the hardware (didn't they test this stuff). The rest of the issues are only "power user" issues and therefore don't seem important to them.

Without an attitude shift, these guys are going to be buried. If nothing else, I hope the iPhone has shocked these guys enough that they start caring about their customers again.

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz101 View Post
    I can't believe everyone is having so much issues with their Treo's. My 650 & (knock on wood) have been pretty much flawless. With the occasional freeze up reboot, they're pretty much functioned as expected.

Guess i'm just a luck one.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the response! I was also wondering whether you use the two phones simultaneously or if you switch the sim card around back and forth between them? In other words, do you use one for a business line and the other for a personal line, for example, or do you use both for a single line? Again, just curious (okay, maybe a bit nosy, but I'm just wondering how you go about physically using multiple phones?)! And since you said the iphone will be your choice phone, is it because of the issues you're having with the 750 or are there specific iphone features that interest you? (I'm not that familiar with what the iphone specs are yet, but that forum's my next stop!) I just got a cingular branded 750 and I'm still pretty excited about it. It's my first Treo, and I'm not a power user by any means. I mostly use it as an organizer, reader, translator, and address book (I don't even have a data plan). My last palm was the m130, and this thing blows it away! So I won't be shelling out the bucks for another smartphone of any kind for at least a few years. The main feature I think I'd miss if I go for an iphone at that point is the full keyboard, with actual buttons you can push! So neat. And freedom from the stylus! Also neat. To me it seems the iphone must be pretty special if you're willing to forget about your Treo and Blackberry in favor of it!
    Bugs in various Treos is certainly a factor in wanting an iPhone. I've had Macs for many many years and even when there are problems, Apple fixes them (unlike Palm has shown lately).

Other factors are that I use web browsing alot and seamless synchronization with data on my Mac are important. I think the iPhone will great for these, phone calls, and multimedia. Lack of keyboard will make it less ideal for email and SMS, but I don't use SMS much and I think the onscreen keyboard will be OK for the amount of email sending I do (I do more reading than sending on the phone). And for the Pearl and Treo I currently have, I switch the SIM between them. Usually it stays in one for a day or multiple days to get a feel for how it's working. Right now the Treo is only hanging on because it's better for web browsing than the Pearl. Otherwise I think the Pearl is much superior. The form factor is amazing, it's less than half the volume of the Treo and works great as a phone.
    I came back to the Treo after using the 750v and still use a Blackjack on another SIM. I basically went back to the Treo for the larger screen and the little touches that make using WM5 nicer.

However, I'm going straight for that iPhone when it comes out. It'll be even better if it does, in fact, sync with Exchange OTA. If not, I'll just use it as my non-work phone.

I agree with bcaslis, the Treo has little bugs that constantly annoy me throughout the day. Right now I feel like I'm putting up with the phone while I wait for the iPhone. There's nothing else out there that's grabbing my attention.
    Brandon
    bcaslis,

You mention how much better the Cing 3G on the 750v is compared to the Sprint 700p.

Could you provide more on your experience (data speed wise)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Bugs in various Treos is certainly a factor in wanting an iPhone. I've had Macs for many many years and even when there are problems, Apple fixes them (unlike Palm has shown lately).

Other factors are that I use web browsing alot and seamless synchronization with data on my Mac are important. I think the iPhone will great for these, phone calls, and multimedia. Lack of keyboard will make it less ideal for email and SMS, but I don't use SMS much and I think the onscreen keyboard will be OK for the amount of email sending I do (I do more reading than sending on the phone). And for the Pearl and Treo I currently have, I switch the SIM between them. Usually it stays in one for a day or multiple days to get a feel for how it's working. Right now the Treo is only hanging on because it's better for web browsing than the Pearl. Otherwise I think the Pearl is much superior. The form factor is amazing, it's less than half the volume of the Treo and works great as a phone.

i'd say that i'm right there with BCaslis....have owned most all of the Treos while owning many different comparable devices. in the end? the Pearl has been rock solid (see my post in the other handheld forum) and leaving me with less desire to own a Treo given my needs. i did the sim switcharoo thingy with my old 680 and Pearl but quickly learned that the Treo 680 couldn't function using the Blackberry programmed SIM card so i had to end up getting a secondary sim. like bcaslis, i currently own the 750 (sent the 680 back) and prefer it to the 680 but still prefer the truly pocketable Pearl over any Treo given my needs.

do i intend on trying out the iPhone when it is released? you betcha. do i think the 750 is going back? odds are that it will. the touchscreen/real-estate are nice but i just can't stand the heaviness in pocket.

regards
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I think you misunderstood (or I misspoke). I was comparing the Cingular 750 to the Vodaphone 750v on Cingular. The Cingular one works much better with their data network, likely due to the things Cingular made Palm fix.

The 700p is faster for data than the 750 (EVDO is faster than UMTS) and the data network is more widely available. HSPDA support is not on the 750 yet (aside from the hack). When it is available it will be slightly faster than EVDO, but Verizon's (and maybe Sprint's) data network is more widely available than Cingular's.

I disliked some other things with the 700p, but not the data it was great. EVDO download is typically around 700kbit/sec, UMTS is typically 300 - 400kbit/sec, HSDPA can be typically 700 - 900 kbit/sec.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    bcaslis,

You mention how much better the Cing 3G on the 750v is compared to the Sprint 700p.

Could you provide more on your experience (data speed wise)
    i returned the 750 today. in the end, i just couldn't stand carrying the thing around given that my Pearl basically did all that the Treo did for me at half the size and weight (if not more). the antenna-less design/curved edges couldn't do it in the end, just not enough of a change. it was nice to get back onto wm5 after the absolute failed attempt with the 680 (what a joke that release was), at least i learned that a palm os guy i am definately not. retuned it within the 30days so no real damage done.

what did i like best about it? the grippy paint.

will continue with the Pearl until something better comes along.

best success (Palm)
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve