Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    I'm really thinkin of switch from the p to wx. I juss have a few question as I have never owned a wm5 device.

    1. does the 700wx offer threaded sms out of box now..

    2. how easy to use is the wx vs p

    3. what email would I use since I can't use chatter. I use aim for email so I would like push email.

    4. kind of a trick question or maybe a big no no....
    can I use wx with an imac.

    5. will there ever be a 750 cdma version for sprint or verizon

    6. does aim come installed on the wx like it does on other wm5 phones. if not which one should I use.
    Last edited by geezy; 01/15/2007 at 11:57 PM.
    <a href="http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/geezy_da_great">
    <img src="http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/sc/geezy%20da%20great.jpg" border=0>
    </a>
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by geezy View Post
    I'm really thinkin of switch from the p to wx. I juss have a few question as I have never owned a wm5 device.

    1. does the 700wx offer threaded sms out of box now..

    2. how easy to use is the wx vs p

    3. what email would I use since I can't use chatter.

    4. kind of a trick question or maybe a big no no....
    can I use wx with an imac.

    5. will there ever be a 750 cdma version for sprint or verizon
    1. No it does not.

    2. To each their own- but very easy to use IMO.

    3. For push you would get an exchange account from one of many online providers. ($0-10+/mo) You will sync email, contacts, calender, tasks, notes, all over the air.

    4. I believe you can but you may want to run a search.

    5. Who knows???


    The "P" is a Toys-R-Us" version of the WX. The WX simply runs circles around it.

    -Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geezy View Post
    4. kind of a trick question or maybe a big no no....
    can I use wx with an imac.
    I have my wx syncing with my iMac right now. You will need to get a program called Missing Sync, though.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake2582 View Post
    I have my wx syncing with my iMac right now. You will need to get a program called Missing Sync, though.
    also does this missing sync have something like quick install for programs.. and also does it sync everything like the palm desktop does for pc..
    <a href="http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/geezy_da_great">
    <img src="http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/sc/geezy%20da%20great.jpg" border=0>
    </a>
  5. peterjun's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geezy View Post
    I'm really thinkin of switch from the p to wx. I juss have a few question as I have never owned a wm5 device.

    1. does the 700wx offer threaded sms out of box now..

    2. how easy to use is the wx vs p

    3. what email would I use since I can't use chatter. I use aim for email so I would like push email.

    4. kind of a trick question or maybe a big no no....
    can I use wx with an imac.

    5. will there ever be a 750 cdma version for sprint or verizon

    6. does aim come installed on the wx like it does on other wm5 phones. if not which one should I use.
    I switched from the p to the wx as well. I have both of them right now I've been comparing them side by side and love the wx 10x more than the p.

    I don't understand how people say Palm is much easier to use than the wx. I think the wx is easier to use in my mind. But I guess it just depends on your preference.

    I use Agile Messenger for AIM and it works pretty well, except it doesnt cover all of the screen for some reason.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterjun View Post
    I switched from the p to the wx as well. I have both of them right now I've been comparing them side by side and love the wx 10x more than the p.

    I don't understand how people say Palm is much easier to use than the wx. I think the wx is easier to use in my mind. But I guess it just depends on your preference.

    I use Agile Messenger for AIM and it works pretty well, except it doesnt cover all of the screen for some reason.
    thanx... I'm glad to hear from a former p user as well. I was juss thinkin about how user friendly vs the p. and u juss made me feel better about goin to wx. But I have to say agile messanger I tried and didn't like it to much..
    <a href="http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/geezy_da_great">
    <img src="http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/sc/geezy%20da%20great.jpg" border=0>
    </a>
  7. #7  
    I went from the 700p to the wx and was frustrated for a few days until I got the majority of it figured out. Now I wouldn't dream of trading it back for a 700p.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I went from the 700p to the wx and was frustrated for a few days until I got the majority of it figured out. Now I wouldn't dream of trading it back for a 700p.
    This is true. I would not say that the wx is more user friendly, it is IMO definately not. Coming from the P also (and all treos since the 300), the change was kinda tough at first and I was scared for a bit that I'd have to give up.

    But once you get into the swing of things, the advantages definately outweigh any usability issues.
  9. RStall's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #9  
    i bought the p the day it was released but decided to exchange it for the wx about a week ago. honestly, the are pretty equal. the problem frustrating me right now with the wx is that a lot of programs wont work for it because of the resolution. windows media player is slow as hell also. you definately need a 3rd party program for it. also the palm 700 has an a2dp program so you can listen to music wirelessly. i play a lot of emulators on my 700p but i cant get any to work on the wx. also like the sprint vision homepage is not on the wx like it is on the p, so you cant like see what apps you can download and its a crap shoot if any apps work or not. oh and no threaded text messages. the only real advantage is that the wx doesnt run through reset loops.

    its a draw. im not completely happy with the 700wx. i feel like i loss more than i gained making the switch. no account manager, no a2dp, games dont work, i even prefer blazer over pocket internet explorer. its those little things like being able to buy an app from sprint and having it billed to my phone bill. and i gave that up for no reset loops. and now palm os has slingbox...

    its a toss up, make sure you think it through before you switch. sprint switched me for free on the spot at the store, but said i cant switch back...
  10. #10  
    I find many folks who say 'I'd like to buy this Chevy, but I want everything to work on it - radio presets, seat settings, rearview mirror, oil change process, whatever - just like this Ford I've been driving for five years. If that Chevy won't do everything just like this Ford did, then I'm going to be unhappy."

    I have never understood that. If you want your new car to work just like your Ford, then either keep the Ford, or buy a new Ford. The Chevy will be different.

    You can't expect everything on a wx to be just like it was on your 650 or 700p. I too went to a WM Treo from a LONG time Palm OS background, and while, yes, there may be some things that I miss or look back on and go 'hmm, that was a cool app; it would be nice to have that on my 700wx', I can't ever see going back to Palm OS.

    The point is - don't think or expect that your new device will be just like your old one. Move on and look ahead.
  11. PPI
    PPI is offline
    PPI's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    #11  
    While on the surface I agree with most of this, I wouldn't base my opinion on any of it. I just switched from the P to WX 1 week ago. I also am a mac user. Initially there is always going to be an uncomfortable feeling when switching platforms, but that is mainly because it takes time to become proficient with the new OS. It all depends on the type of user you are. If you just want it to work out of the box with the least inconvenience, then stick with the P. However if you are the type of person that likes to figure things out to get the most out of them, then you are really going to like the WX. It is going to be uncomfortable at first and at times frustrated, but it is all worth it. The forums here are wonderful and informative.

    As for my opinion of the WX, yes some things take an extra screen tap but with voice command many things take no screen tap. I did miss Chatter, but Flexmail, even in its current form, is better then chatter. I especially like how it auto corrects words as you type. When I had the P I thought multitasking was for nerds, now I find myself multitasking all the time.

    To sum up my opinion, I rather be on a platform that is in active development and not a dead platform like Palm. They don't refer to it at POS for nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by RStall View Post
    i bought the p the day it was released but decided to exchange it for the wx about a week ago. honestly, the are pretty equal. the problem frustrating me right now with the wx is that a lot of programs wont work for it because of the resolution. windows media player is slow as hell also. you definately need a 3rd party program for it. also the palm 700 has an a2dp program so you can listen to music wirelessly. i play a lot of emulators on my 700p but i cant get any to work on the wx. also like the sprint vision homepage is not on the wx like it is on the p, so you cant like see what apps you can download and its a crap shoot if any apps work or not. oh and no threaded text messages. the only real advantage is that the wx doesnt run through reset loops.

    its a draw. im not completely happy with the 700wx. i feel like i loss more than i gained making the switch. no account manager, no a2dp, games dont work, i even prefer blazer over pocket internet explorer. its those little things like being able to buy an app from sprint and having it billed to my phone bill. and i gave that up for no reset loops. and now palm os has slingbox...

    its a toss up, make sure you think it through before you switch. sprint switched me for free on the spot at the store, but said i cant switch back...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RStall View Post
    ...
    honestly, the are pretty equal. the problem frustrating me right now with the wx is that a lot of programs wont work for it because of the resolution.
    ...
    I hadn't realized that this was going to be that much of a problem on WM5. Would it take most programs if it were 320x320, or is the ideal Windows resolution different?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post

    I have never understood that. If you want your new car to work just like your Ford, then either keep the Ford, or buy a new Ford. The Chevy will be different.

    The point is - don't think or expect that your new device will be just like your old one. Move on and look ahead.
    Well said.
    END OF LINE
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RStall View Post
    i bought the p the day it was released but decided to exchange it for the wx about a week ago. honestly, the are pretty equal. the problem frustrating me right now with the wx is that a lot of programs wont work for it because of the resolution. windows media player is slow as hell also. you definately need a 3rd party program for it. also the palm 700 has an a2dp program so you can listen to music wirelessly. i play a lot of emulators on my 700p but i cant get any to work on the wx. also like the sprint vision homepage is not on the wx like it is on the p, so you cant like see what apps you can download and its a crap shoot if any apps work or not. oh and no threaded text messages. the only real advantage is that the wx doesnt run through reset loops.

    its a draw. im not completely happy with the 700wx. i feel like i loss more than i gained making the switch. no account manager, no a2dp, games dont work, i even prefer blazer over pocket internet explorer. its those little things like being able to buy an app from sprint and having it billed to my phone bill. and i gave that up for no reset loops. and now palm os has slingbox...

    its a toss up, make sure you think it through before you switch. sprint switched me for free on the spot at the store, but said i cant switch back...
    this what I'm worried about. programs not workin right. and the sprint home page is a gem imo. I do like how I can get programs from there and was planin to do the same on wx. but I guess I can't. what about pic mail does wx have that at least. I fear the exta button presses to get to other menus. I will hopefully play wit one of my co-workers b4 I decide. but these r alod answer some good some not.. but all great.
    <a href="http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/geezy_da_great">
    <img src="http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/sc/geezy%20da%20great.jpg" border=0>
    </a>
  15. #15  
    I am an avid 700P user too but am always looking for upgrades and have been considering the 700wx for a while. My main gripe with the 700p is push sync of calendar, contacts, notes and tasks (I use Chatter for e-mail). I have a few questions:

    1) I have several different e-mail addresses forwarding to my exchange account. Chatter knows which SMTP profile to use (and proper signature) when I reply based on how it was addressed to me. Does the wx have that capability?
    2) I read somewhere that you can't use the 5-way to change folders but that a fix was in the works. Has this been corrected?

    If I decide to stay with the P, I am looking into versamail just to push my calendar (though I would have to leave KeyDates) or an intellisync product. Anyone have any experience with these alternatives? Thanks.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  16. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #16  
    Does the 700WX have BT DUN yet?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Does the 700WX have BT DUN yet?
    Nothings changed since you last tried it

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Nothings changed since you last tried it
    Damn it. That is the only thing holding me back. Come on Sprint/Palm.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by geezy View Post
    also does this missing sync have something like quick install for programs.. and also does it sync everything like the palm desktop does for pc..
    Missing sync has a file transfer pane that transfers files directly to the 700w or it's storage card. All you have to do is drag the files into the pane and they automatically start to transfer, as long as the device is connected. Be aware that many PPC software titles need Activesync and a version of Windows to install properly (via .exe files). I have overcome this limitation by using Parallels Desktop with an WinXP installation on my MacBook Pro.
  20. RStall's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I find many folks who say 'I'd like to buy this Chevy, but I want everything to work on it - radio presets, seat settings, rearview mirror, oil change process, whatever - just like this Ford I've been driving for five years. If that Chevy won't do everything just like this Ford did, then I'm going to be unhappy."

    I have never understood that. If you want your new car to work just like your Ford, then either keep the Ford, or buy a new Ford. The Chevy will be different.

    You can't expect everything on a wx to be just like it was on your 650 or 700p. I too went to a WM Treo from a LONG time Palm OS background, and while, yes, there may be some things that I miss or look back on and go 'hmm, that was a cool app; it would be nice to have that on my 700wx', I can't ever see going back to Palm OS.

    The point is - don't think or expect that your new device will be just like your old one. Move on and look ahead.

    why not??? We are paying Mercedes prices and getting Chevy quality. If a person is paying Mercedes money, they should get or at least expect Ford and Chevy combined quality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions