Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've got my phone set to sync with an exchange server "as items arrive" and I've had it that way for the last couple of days. My battery life has been horrible and I thought I'd experiment with changing this setting to manually for a while. I made the change but am still receiving mail as it arrives rather than just when I do it manually. Basically - this setting has no effect whatsoever. Have I missed something? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Are you using an exchange account, or an email account you set up through outlook?

If Exchange, there have been reports of this change not "sticking" the first time. Sometimes it takes 2 or more times before it will stick. So try changing it again.

If its an email account you set up through outlook, these settings do not apply. You must do it in outlook via the MENU-TOOLS-OPTIONS-account settings. Then go to MENU-DELIVERY PREFERENCES and make sure NOTHING is checked here, this is a known wm bug
  3.    #3  
    Actually I'm using 4smartphone.net. They basically seem to host an exchange server for me. That part seems to work fine. So I guess I would fall under the "not sticking" part of your post.

I have tried changing it many many times, but that hasn't helped. It just keeps updating constantly. Now I'm down to about 15% on my battery for the day. It'll be dead soon and I've only used it once for a phone call today (5 mins).

I even tried a soft reset after changing it - that didn't help either - emails just keep on coming. Which I like actually, but I'm afraid it's killing my battery. Today I got about 10 hours total on the battery.

Thanks for your help,
    Shannon
    Last edited by scollins; 01/15/2007 at 02:54 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Exchange server setting removed and re-added. Set to manual and no more constant syncing ... this is good and bad. I'm only getting email when I manually tell it to check, but my battery is doing so much better today. I can't imagine push hurting it as much as it did. How could that even be useful? Is it only happening to me?
    Shannon
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    Exchange server setting removed and re-added. Set to manual and no more constant syncing ... this is good and bad. I'm only getting email when I manually tell it to check, but my battery is doing so much better today. I can't imagine push hurting it as much as it did. How could that even be useful? Is it only happening to me?
    Shannon
    Honestly, I think you had an activesync setup problem, perhaps constant syncing, which would also explain why MANUAL setting woldn't work. Try putting it back to "as items arrive," and see if it is better. I can't explain why, but it sounds like there was something wrong in the previous setup.

I have been testing today to see how my stats compare:

0830- Phone off of charger.
    1400- 8 email received, 2 SMS received, ZERO phone calls. 82%

5.5 hours, little use, 18% battery drain. PUSH on all day. UMTS area all day. On pace for 30 hrs battery life without phone calls.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Honestly, I think you had an activesync setup problem, perhaps constant syncing, which would also explain why MANUAL setting woldn't work. Try putting it back to "as items arrive," and see if it is better. I can't explain why, but it sounds like there was something wrong in the previous setup.

I have been testing today to see how my stats compare:

0830- Phone off of charger.
    1400- 8 email received, 2 SMS received, ZERO phone calls. 82%

5.5 hours, little use, 18% battery drain. PUSH on all day. UMTS area all day. On pace for 30 hrs battery life without phone calls.

To be honest, I was skeptical too, but I had tried everything else I could think of. I'm glad it worked. I will have to set it back to "as items arrive" and see what happens ... I'm kinda skeptical on that too.

Let me ask you this - when you have yours set to "as items arrive" and you look in activesync, when is the last time it says it has synced? Mine was always within 1-2 minutes regardless if I had recv'd email or not. Is yours like that as well?

Thanks,
    Shannnon
    To be honest, I was skeptical too, but I had tried everything else I could think of. I'm glad it worked. I will have to set it back to "as items arrive" and see what happens ... I'm kinda skeptical on that too.

Let me ask you this - when you have yours set to "as items arrive" and you look in activesync, when is the last time it says it has synced? Mine was always within 1-2 minutes regardless if I had recv'd email or not. Is yours like that as well?

Thanks,
    Shannnon
    My last ActiveSync was 7 minutes prior to when I checked. I sync with Exchange and three IMAP accounts. I have my Exchange account set to "As items arrive" and the other accounts to sync every 45 minutes.

Although my battery life isn't as good as on my 650 with Chatter, it is alright.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Right Now Mine Is 14 Minutes Ago
  9.    #9  
    Testing now .............
    It checked at 15:16, I haven't looked at my phone since 15:35 and it now says last sync was @ 15:44. It appears that it checks every half hour, if no push is initiated by the server. But I can't say for sure, based on the times above it could be anywhere between 20-35
  11.    #11  
    Well mine certainly isn't syncing as much as it was prior to the remove/add server thing. I checked a minute ago and it had been 8 minutes, but lately I've been receiving a lot of emails so this is probably a bad time to test this. Hopefully my email intake will slow down and I'll be able to see how long it'll go w/o syncing ... maybe my problems are solved (somewhat) ... still testing.

Thanks again for your help.
    Shannon
    Again, no emails, 16:13. So it looks like a 28 minute interval w/o emails or loss in connection to the data network.
    Again, no emails, 16:13. So it looks like a 28 minute interval w/o emails or loss in connection to the data network.
    Hmm,

I wonder if that interval holds up with other things such as calendar alerts being dismissed.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  14.    #14  
    I'm still testing, but I'm only syncing email - not calendar or anything else...
    I've blocked my emails for a short time, so I'll see how long it takes to try a sync ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Hmm,

I wonder if that interval holds up with other things such as calendar alerts being dismissed.
    The way mine is set up, every time there is a change to any of the fields, notes, calendar, contacts, it initiates a sync automatically. I would assume calendar dismissals are the same, but don't know for sure.

battery update: 15 emails today, 3 SMS: 78% battery full.
  16.    #16  
    So far I haven't seen any time longer than 18 minutes even with no changes on the exchange server...
    So far I haven't seen any time longer than 18 minutes even with no changes on the exchange server...
    That would make sense, since I'm not checking my phone every 2 minutes (I DO work ) I may be missing a cycle. That would make it 36 minutes, which is what I see also.

CORRECTION: I meant to say 28 minutes, not 36. I did some research:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905013

It seemse the default "heartbeat" time is 9 minutes on ES2003. This is configurable on the SERVER side, not the device. So it seemse 2smartphone is 18, and mail2web (my server) is 27 minute (I see 28 minutes, but I'll keep the multiple of 9 rule). If this is the case, then a case can be made that mail2web is better for your battery than 4smartphone! Hmmmm....
    Last edited by Pattycerts; 01/16/2007 at 04:13 PM.
  18.    #18  
    thanks for the research.
    bad news for me ... treo started syncing every couple of minutes again ... and I can't changr it back. no matter the setting it just constantly syncs. arrgghhhh
    thanks for the research.
    bad news for me ... treo started syncing every couple of minutes again ... and I can't changr it back. no matter the setting it just constantly syncs. arrgghhhh
    Wow. Only two more things you can try:

Go to 4smartphone.net and see if you can configure your settings there.

or

Try a hard reset. Something is wrong somewhere.
  20.    #20  
    Wow. Only two more things you can try:

Go to 4smartphone.net and see if you can configure your settings there.

or

Try a hard reset. Something is wrong somewhere.
    I'm gonna poke around a little at 4smartphone, but I've really already done that, so I doubt anything is there.

I would try mail2web, but I need to have my current email address for incoming and outgoing and from what I understand m2w won't allow this.

Any others I may try? I'm still in trial at 4smartphone. Seems like I heard of 1on1 or 1to1 or something like that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast