1.    #1  
    I will be working on a medical campus where wi-fi is ALWAYS available...

I tried the 8525 - nice phone - but I HATED the ergonomics. I absolutely love the form and function of a treo

now the question is this:

When DO YOU THINK the NEXT treo will come out (presumably with wifi)? Sometime by June (to compete with the iphone)?

I can wait no more than 3-4 months (if I absolutely HAVE to)

Blackberrys now have wifi with the 8800 coming out, nokias have wifi, apples iphone has wifi - i think its only a matter of time before palm puts it in to a 750 like device.

I wonder though: how can they make the 750 which was their big release of the year obsolete so quickly? or maybe the next one will be much more expensive? 700+?

Anyway: do you think its worth it for me to hold my breath or just go and spend the moola for a new 750?
    Honestly, there are no new rumors of WM5 Treo devices currently. None.

If I were on GSM and still wanted WM5, I'd get an HTC Dash...or rather wait for the HTC Cavalier. It's not an iPhone replacement but a darn good Treo competitor.

- HSDPA
    - Wifi b/g
    - BT 2.0

Throw on the by then released Documents to Go for WM5 and you're all set.

Is it pretty? No but the HTC Dash received very impressive reviews and to be honest, I like the retro look

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    This Thread belongs in the FUTURE Treos section http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52
    not having wifi doesn't make the 750 obsolete since the future is moving toward mobile broadband ie 3G, not fixed broadband ie wifi. Its a nice feature, but for people like me that are on the go (I'm on the train as I'm typing this) wifi is useless. I have wifi at home and work, but then I have my computer next to me as well. plus, 3g covers my commute fully. I also have it in the cities I've traveled to for work.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    not having wifi doesn't make the 750 obsolete since the future is moving toward mobile broadband ie 3G, not fixed broadband ie wifi. Its a nice feature, but for people like me that are on the go (I'm on the train as I'm typing this) wifi is useless. I have wifi at home and work, but then I have my computer next to me as well. plus, 3g covers my commute fully. I also have it in the cities I've traveled to for work.

Depends where you are in the world - in the UK, Wi-fi is already and will be increasingly a large part of the telecommunications sector. By 2010 (maybe earlier) most cities are expected to be "wireless cities". Even in rural areas, Wi-fi in conjunction with Wi-Max is being seen as the way forward.

From the comments I see here, the picture seems to be different in the States (I guessing you are in the states maybe you are in the uk - who knows).

3G is failing to take off in the UK due to the current pricing mechanism and for various reasons nobody expects that to change in the near future. I was reading an interesting article about this very subject earlier - I'll try and find it again.
    Last edited by CGK; 01/15/2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: clarification. + typo.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    3G is failing to take off in the UK due to the current pricing mechanism and for various reasons nobody expects that to change in the near future. I was reading an interesting article about this very subject earlier - I'll try and find it again.
    Speak for yourself. I'm on T-Mobile and I love the pricing structure. I am currently tethered, and I have upgraded to the 12.5/month mid-tier plan, with a 3GB/month fair-use cap. Thats pretty reasonable for what I get, and I'm pretty happy. Its much cheaper than Vodafone's horrendous plan, and also much better than Orange's.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'm on T-Mobile and I love the pricing structure. I am currently tethered, and I have upgraded to the 12.5/month mid-tier plan, with a 3GB/month fair-use cap. Thats pretty reasonable for what I get, and I'm pretty happy. Its much cheaper than Vodafone's horrendous plan, and also much better than Orange's.

Surur
    wow that is pretty good.