Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think I may have a battery problem - or some kinda of problem that is draining my battery.
    Here is my scenario:

Battery at 100% at 9:30am.
    Received two emails - replied to the two emails.
    Received one 6 minute phone call.
    Battery at 77% at 12:30am.
    Place one 5 minute call.
    Battery at 67%.

I have a pop3 email acct to get checked every 60 minutes.
    I have activesync set to sync with an exchange server "as items arrive"
    Bluetooth turned off.
    I have Resco File Explorer Today plug-in enabled (don't think this affects battery)
    I have Magic Button installed.

Any ideas? I call Cingular's PDA department and they said that using "push" email would drain the batter quickly because it stayed connected "almost" constantly. Does this sound correct? I thought this was the more efficient way over POP3 auto-check every xx minutes.

At any rate and regardless of the way I have it configured Cingular told me that my battery was draining "too quickly" and I likely have a battery problem or a Treo problem.

What do you guys think?
    Thanks,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    It sounds a little excessive, but when I have my pushmail turned on I get pretty bad battery life. It's very noticeable with pushmail turned off - battery lasts much longer.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    How long have you had the phone? The LiIon batteries take about a week of use before they reach their full potential. And letting the battery run down is NOT recommended for these batteries, topping off is.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies guys. This is the first day of use on the phone with an overnight charge the night before. So it's brand new. I'll have to try it with push turned off. They said that I could exchange it for a new one, but I don't want to go through the trouble if I'm gettins similar results as everyone here. Please keep letting me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    I really don't think exchange push hurts the battery all that much, and I get around 40-50 email daily (most of them very short though, less than 5kb).

Auto send/recieve, however, seemed much worse for the battery to me. And most people set it up incorrectly, and it really checks for new msgs every 5 minutes thanks to a Windows Mobile bug found here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ok#post1118025
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    I think I may have a battery problem - or some kinda of problem that is draining my battery.
    Here is my scenario:

Battery at 100% at 9:30am.
    Received two emails - replied to the two emails.
    Received one 6 minute phone call.
    Battery at 77% at 12:30am.
    Place one 5 minute call.
    Battery at 67%.

I have a pop3 email acct to get checked every 60 minutes.
    I have activesync set to sync with an exchange server "as items arrive"
    Bluetooth turned off.
    I have Resco File Explorer Today plug-in enabled (don't think this affects battery)
    I have Magic Button installed.

Any ideas? I call Cingular's PDA department and they said that using "push" email would drain the batter quickly because it stayed connected "almost" constantly. Does this sound correct? I thought this was the more efficient way over POP3 auto-check every xx minutes.

At any rate and regardless of the way I have it configured Cingular told me that my battery was draining "too quickly" and I likely have a battery problem or a Treo problem.

What do you guys think?
    Thanks,
    Shannon
    if you're using a UMTS connection all day, you'll see the battery drain faster. the phone's frequent switching between GSM and UMTS (re: looking for a signal) will also drain the battery. i noticed this behavior and decided to use the GSM connection instead of UMTS. this change and switching to hourly exchange email improved my battery life.. i'll be happy, tho, when someone develops a 1800 mah battery that's the same size as the OEM battery.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  7.    #7  
    dcortez can I ask how you manually change from the UMTS connection to GSM connection? Mine just seems to kinda pick all by itself ...
    Also, I have my exchange set to "as items arrive" instead of an actual time. If I understood you have yours set to 1 hour?
    Thanks,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    note that with this setting, you cannot receive email and talk at the same time (you can with UMTS).

selecting GSM band: from the Today Screen, choose Menu->Preferences->Phone Settings, select the Services Tab, select Band Selection and click the center button. from the Select Network type list box choose choose "GSM" and click OK. your phone will disconnect and then reconnect to the network. click OK again to return to the Today Screen.

during peak times i check email every hour (e.g., 60 min setting).
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  9.    #9  
    Ok. I found that. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the quick reply.

At the rate my battery is losing power I would probably only have about a 1hr talk time. I checked with a buddy of mine who has a windows Treo through Verizon. He doesn't use push mail, but has POP3 set to check every 15 minutes. He lost about 6-7% in 15 hrs. I wonder why the difference would be so great between the 750 and his 700w. I just can't believe the rate at which this thing loses power.

Shannon
    Last edited by scollins; 01/14/2007 at 07:41 AM.
  10.    #10  
    The latest experiment:
    Received no phone calls
    Received no emails - but left activesync set to "as items arrive"
    battery @ 100%
    2 hours later
    battery @ 90%
    basically phone was completely idle with the screen turned off.

so without using the phone at all it should standby for about 20 hours.

i can't figure out why it would be this bad. i may just call and ask for them to ship me a replacement.

Shannon
    The latest experiment:
    Received no phone calls
    Received no emails - but left activesync set to "as items arrive"
    battery @ 100%
    2 hours later
    battery @ 90%
    basically phone was completely idle with the screen turned off.

so without using the phone at all it should standby for about 20 hours.

i can't figure out why it would be this bad. i may just call and ask for them to ship me a replacement.

Shannon

Can you say Treo 680? There is a large discussion going on in that forum about this same issue:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=130449

Sounds like that is an issue with the 750 as well.

I have used both the 680 (unlocked) and 750 (Cingular) and found the 750 to have better battery life than the 680
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I have noticed that after 6 days of heavy use and recharging nightly that the battery keeps getting better. At first I was thinking about getting seido's (sp) massive hump back battery but now I'm thinking I can just wait for their oem sized extended battery and just keep the original as a backup. Even though it gets better its still not good enough I dont understand why Palm didnt just sell it with the most powerfull battery in the first place it may cost a little more but hey think about all of the people who will get it and return it because of poor battery life. I assume thats why samsung gives you two batteries when you buy the blackjack... Anyway rants over.
  14.    #14  
    Today I would say I had very light usage and it died at 5pm. I had taken it off the charget at 6:30am.

Any of you guys syncing with an exchange server and have it set to "as items arrive" ?

Shannon
  15.    #15  
    I suspect that activesync constantly syncing is what is killing the battery. from everything I've read this seems like a common problem with activesync, but so far I haven't found how to correct it. except for the "fake server" trick, but I need the server so I don't see how that is an option in this case. is anyone else out there constantly syncing?
    shannon
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I am very disappointed at this point. Theorically I have a 3G phone with which I should be able to check the mail every 15 minutes. However, if I just leave the UMTS connection on (with the two arrows underneath) I hardly get 4 hours in stand by and get the battery drained to 20%
  17.    #17  
    I feel disappointed as well. Today I stopped push email and just have it set on manual, so I'm not really receiving anything automatically, and the battery is dong much much better. It seems like when I had it set on "as items arrive" activesync was constantly syncing. I loved receiving emails that way, but battery life was horrible. I can't see how so many people love/use push when the battery life is so horrible with it enabled. Then again, maybe it was only happening to me for some reason .... kinda lost.
    Shannon
    I feel disappointed as well. Today I stopped push email and just have it set on manual, so I'm not really receiving anything automatically, and the battery is dong much much better. It seems like when I had it set on "as items arrive" activesync was constantly syncing. I loved receiving emails that way, but battery life was horrible. I can't see how so many people love/use push when the battery life is so horrible with it enabled. Then again, maybe it was only happening to me for some reason .... kinda lost.
    Shannon
    I honestly can't believe that re-installing the server worked, I told you to do it but thought there was no chance it would fix the problem lol.

See the other thread, I think it was a corruption causing it to constantly sync, resulting in the horrible drain.
  19.    #19  
    Well, I received a new Treo from cingular yesterday and charged it up overnight. Took it off charge this morning at 6:30am ... it's 10:45am now and the battery is at 60%.
    I'm using push mail and have recieved about 6 emails. I've received one 10 minute phone call. I've recieved 1 SMS message.

Honestly, I do not understand. This doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for others as it is me - but now I'm on my second brand new phone and still have the same problem.

I appreciate you all trying to help as much as you have. I am still open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

Thank you,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    i notice my battery was like that with push on for xpressmail client. I have no change to mail2web and using activesyncs push and battery is doing better. I might be the setting of the exchagne server for the keep alive pings.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast