Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
    i notice my battery was like that with push on for xpressmail client. I have no change to mail2web and using activesyncs push and battery is doing better. I might be the setting of the exchagne server for the keep alive pings.
    I am using 4smartphone.net as my exchange server. I checked with them and they assured me that that was not the problem

My data connection indicator shows the double arrows whenever push mail is enabled. I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

However, even when push mail is not enabled I get the double arrows. If I turn the phone off, when it first starts up I get either the U (no arrows) or G (no arrows) but as soon as I make the first data connection (email or internet) it stays on after that ... unless I manually click on the data indicator and click "disconne t". I believe this is reason the battery life is horrible.

Basically the data connection never "hangs up" ...
    Does anyone know how to make it "close" once it's not being used anymore? Would it be correct for it to stay on constantly if push mail is enabled?

Shannon
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    data connection has to remain open other wish it wouldn't have a heartbeat check to the server and no of any new changes on your mailbox. You might want to check if you have any other programs using the data link as well. I was using 4smartphone last night and played with it a few hours and i only lost like 3-4% of battery. I might be wrong but i can check end of day today see how my battery life holds up. I started day today around 7:30 8am and it's almost 1pm and i am at 91%
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    another i am hovering around umts/edge area and phone switches between that all the time at work but my battery life sucked no matter what and i pretty much pinned it on the xpressmail client i had install earlier. Ever since i removed it it's working good.
  4.    #24  
    data connection has to remain open other wish it wouldn't have a heartbeat check to the server and no of any new changes on your mailbox. You might want to check if you have any other programs using the data link as well. I was using 4smartphone last night and played with it a few hours and i only lost like 3-4% of battery. I might be wrong but i can check end of day today see how my battery life holds up. I started day today around 7:30 8am and it's almost 1pm and i am at 91%
    I can't believe yours is doing that well! Mine certainly isn't and I'm sure that I don't have anything else using the data connection.

With PUSH mail on - the data connections stays active (double arrows) ... I guess this is normal?

With PUSH mail off - the data connection stays active (double arrows) ... unless I manually hit "disconnect". It will then re-enable itself when I choose "check mail" or "IE" and never hang up, unless I manually hit disconnect again. Battery life it good when is do this.

The bottom line is my battery is horrible whether using push mail or not IF the data connection is constantly active (double arrows).

This doesn't seem to be the case with yours. This is my second phone and both have behaved the same way for me.

Shannon
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    i don't know what to tell you. When i don't use push mail the network connection doesn't stay on. Occasionally it will come on but when i disconnected it last night it stayed off the whole night. So i don't know.

What software do you have install on your treo? Only thing i have that use internet is im+ but i only login im+ when i am not on a computer.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    don't get me wrong i had **** battery life before all this and now it's gotten better i can pin point anythign i did diff except removing xpressmail and using mail2web or 4smartphone. Sorry i can't help you out. It's now 1:30 here and i am at 88% before this i would be at 55% or 50% around the same time.
  7.    #27  
    i have memaid, resco file explorer, im+, and magic button. i only use im+ every so often. it doesn't connect automatically, so i don't think i have any software that is constantly trying to connect.
    i can't imagine what might be making this happen - i've been through all the settings many times.

Shannon
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    althought my day wasn't very active i had about 3 phone calls 15 mins max and 15 emails some sms. Before i would be doing nothign and it'll be at 60%-50%
  9.    #29  
    yeah, your battery llife is way better than mine ... and i've had two phones - both the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    yeah, your battery llife is way better than mine ... and i've had two phones - both the same.
    I think I found your problem, but I may be wrong so bear with me one more time.

You said you use magic button. Do you use it to CLOSE activesync?

Contrary to the "activesync fix" bragged about around these parts, if you have exchange set up, activesync needs to stay running. If not, it will run again and it might be syncing again because of that. When you have magic button on, and all the running icons are on the top bar, try double clicking & holding the activesync icon when its running on the top bar and choose both "keep alive" and "don't show when inactive." Then do the same with outlook. I told you to also selct "don't show when inactive" so that it doesn't stare at you all the time, begging for you to close it

Let me know if this helps.
  11.    #31  
    actually I knew to leave activesync running. I still have the same type problem ...
    once connected it stays!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    sorry can't help you anymore mines still ticking along at 74% and my days almost over at 3:30

btw i have my bluetooth on all day so my battery life is probabl less than others
    Last edited by scuzy; 01/18/2007 at 07:13 PM.
  13.    #33  
    sorry can't help you anymore mines still ticking along at 74% and my days almost over at 3:30

btw i have my bluetooth on all day so my battery life is probabl less than others
    Thanks alot for trying. I can't figure it out either. I called Cingular - who in turn called Palm - according to them, the data connection is supposed to stay active after it has been used unless you manually disconnect it. The Cingular guy couldn't believe that the battery life was so bad and said he hadn't had any calls on it. The Palm guy said there were no known battery issues with the 750 and they had NO ROM UPDATE in the works at the moment. The Cingular guy offered to get me another phone (that would be my 3rd) to try but I declined so far. I just can't hardly believe I would've gotten two defective ones.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    oh one thing i suggest is a hard reset and only install active sync settings. Then we can narrow it down to if any other program is causing the bad battery life.

also what process is running under task manager? There is a program that lets you see running processes think it's call taksmanager for wm5
    I am having very similar problems with the battery life on my new Treo 750 as well. After a couple days of horrible battery performance I did a hard reset, did not add any applications and did not configure my push mail. Below are the results.

8:15 AM 100%
    6:15 PM 90%
    Push mail turned on @ 6:15
    9:15 PM 58%
    10:45 PM 41%
    12:21 AM 27%

Charged overnight

8:00 AM 100%
    10:00 AM 82%
    11:45 AM 66%

I have switched back to my Tytn (which is configured with push mail and has several other 3rd party apps running) and have not had any battery issues. My Tytn can run a couple days without needing to be charged.

I would really like to get this figured out because I love the form factor of the Treo and was a long time Treo user, starting with the 300.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12