Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Are there any other Palm OS converts out there struggling with this?

    Being honest, I didn't expect this to play much of a role in me moving to the new WM5 OS... I like many, was/am of Palm resting on their laurels and riding the dying horse that is the Palm OS...

    However, the resolution is really the only drawback of note that I'm having a real issue with... seemingly trivial to me, but when I look at the screen on my soon to be sold 700p... and then the 750... the difference is rather striking.... and with the number of high resolution apps that I was using, I'm second guessing the buy....

    Some of the games and utilities look downright unusable in WM5 - for example... compare Bejeweled 2... I know, just a game, but Lord that thing has gotten me thru some rough patches after a cancelled flight...


    -jscott
  2. #2  
    uh, bejeweled looks fine on my 750 and when I had it on my 650 it really wasn't a noticeable difference.
  3. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #3  
    You are not alone, I really think that people that say it's not that noticeable are kidding themselves. I moved from the Treo 680 to the 750 and the screens are not even close, unfortunately that is a Windows Mobile spec not a Palm or Treo Spec so don't expect any changes anytime soon. I still like the 750 and I'm slowly getting acclimated to it but it's definitely much slower then the Palm OS; if it didn't have the almost 1Mb/sec internet and the ability to use the Internet and Talk at the same time I would not like it. But oh my goodness, this thing can be way slow.
    I"m fairly happy with it but I'm sure when the iPhone comes out with their second generation that has 3G it will be the end of my TREO usage. I was going to switch to the iPhone if it came out in Feb, but it's not going to be released until June, so by then I'll be too spoiled by 3G and going to a slower internet will just be too painful for me.
  4. #4  
    I am using an HP 6915 right now which has the same screen res as the Treo 750. It's worse than I thought it would be. I am finding myself even appreciating the screen on my 8125 which has 320 pixels in at least one of the directions. This is a shame because it really depreciates an otherwise fine device.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    uh, bejeweled looks fine on my 750 and when I had it on my 650 it really wasn't a noticeable difference.
    I've seen a lot of your posts gadgetluva and you have had a lot of great comments to offer here... but, you're way off on this one... if you don't see a difference, you didn't use a 320x320 resolution device for long (or at all) - the 700p screen is better than the 650 you note... and this WM5 move is just as bad as the 650 -

    Where did you download your version of Bejeweled 2? I got it right from Astraware and it's literally unplayable...

    I love the device for it's other functionality... but, man, this bump in the road is bigger for me than I thought -
    -jscott
  6. #6  
    I migrated from the 650 to the 750 yesterday. I downloaded Bejeweled2 directly from Astraware and it is almost unplayable. This morning I received a message from one of the support people at Astraware. He said it was due to the different dimensions of the 750's screen. The are looking at updating several of their applications to accomodate the different screen resolution. Just an FYI. In the mean time, I need glasses to play the game.

    Diverguy
  7. #7  
    so i have both 680 and 750, the resolution difference is obvious but doesn't bother me too much, a 240x240 Zuma and 320x320 one from Astraware there isn't much difference to me (well i'm not too fussy with pixels anyway).

    the bejeweled 2 from astraware is not native 240x240, they squeezed the 320x320 version into 240. if you try a proper 240x240 game you'll notice the difference

    while most of my applications support square screen, my only complain is that lots of games from my 240x320 wizard doesn't support 'square'
  8. jpasint's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #8  
    I will definitely say as well that 240x240 is not as good for playing GAMES as 320x320. I don’t play many games though.

    The text on the 750 is crystal clear and very small as you can fit a lot on the screen that way.

    The 650 and 700p were a terrible waste of screen space in that regard. I used to use that fonts for os5 program but it sucked big time and slowed all text screens to a crawl.

    For pictures and games I think it’s a no brainer that 320 is better than 240.

    Take care.

    Joe
  9. #9  
    At first, the different was very noticeable. After I made some tweaks and adjusted the font size, the difference isn't even noticeable to me any longer. With these tweaks, I have more usable space on my 700wx than I did with my 650 or 700p. I tried font hacks on the 700p which looked nice, but never worked consistently across all my programs. When I make a systemwide font size change on WM5, it looks correct across all my apps.

    Would I like to have 320x320 resolution on my 700wx? You bet, but is it a huge difference after tweaking? Not at all.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  10. #10  
    My questions has to do more with the camera. I understand the camera displays much worse... Even though the camera display is worse, I heard the 1.3 image itself is not better at all, is this true?

    I mean I have Digital SLR's coming out my ears, but I like the spontaneous shooting of the Treo, I used it in Treo a great deal.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
    I've seen a lot of your posts gadgetluva and you have had a lot of great comments to offer here... but, you're way off on this one... if you don't see a difference, you didn't use a 320x320 resolution device for long (or at all) - the 700p screen is better than the 650 you note... and this WM5 move is just as bad as the 650 -

    Where did you download your version of Bejeweled 2? I got it right from Astraware and it's literally unplayable...

    I love the device for it's other functionality... but, man, this bump in the road is bigger for me than I thought -
    I just don't really see what the fuss is about. I've held them side by side and yes, I can tell a difference but it doesn't really strike me as a big deal. Now when you compare a WM5 Treo to a Dell Axim x51v, now that is definitely very noticeable.

    And my apologies, I actually confused myself; I haven't installed any games on my T750 yet, I was thinking about my 8525 since I played bejeweled on it right before switching to the 750.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    At first, the different was very noticeable. After I made some tweaks and adjusted the font size, the difference isn't even noticeable to me any longer. With these tweaks, I have more usable space on my 700wx than I did with my 650 or 700p. I tried font hacks on the 700p which looked nice, but never worked consistently across all my programs. When I make a systemwide font size change on WM5, it looks correct across all my apps.

    Would I like to have 320x320 resolution on my 700wx? You bet, but is it a huge difference after tweaking? Not at all.
    480x480 baby. None of this 320x320 stuff. If we're going to upgrade resolution, why not move up to the upper tier

    Hopefully this will be Palm's next innovation.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post

    Hopefully this will be Palm's next innovation.
    Not without MS coding for it.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Not without MS coding for it.

    WM5 supports 240x240 and 480x480 natively so all we need is for Palm to install the proper screen
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    My questions has to do more with the camera. I understand the camera displays much worse... Even though the camera display is worse, I heard the 1.3 image itself is not better at all, is this true?

    I mean I have Digital SLR's coming out my ears, but I like the spontaneous shooting of the Treo, I used it in Treo a great deal.
    The camera is just like any other 1.3MP camera (good or bad is an opinion, I really don't care), the PROBLEM is no matter what sizre the picture is, you are looking at the pic on the treo, a 240x240 screen. You won't see the "true picture quality until you view it on a PC. And like I said, that opinion at that time is questionable. Its just not as bad as it is on the treo. make sense?
  16. #16  
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents here, yes there is a difference, but the 750's screen is not crappy by any means. It's really not as bad as some people make it out to be. I think it's a great screen for the size of the phone.


    about 480x480 screens, a lot of people are getting screen res and screen real estate mixed up. Or sp it seems to mean. A 480x480 screen will not increase the size but just the res. I think a more welcome addition will be if MS can increase there color depth to at least 262,000 or even better 1.6 million. Then you would really see more brighter and vibrant screens even at the 240x240 level.

    Just my 2 cents.
  17. #17  
    Apparently the 16 bit limit is deeply coded, so 18 or 24 bit graphics is not going happen soon. (this is from one of those Windows Mobile Team blog things)

    Surur
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Apparently the 16 bit limit is deeply coded, so 18 or 24 bit graphics is not going happen soon. (this is from one of those Windows Mobile Team blog things)

    Surur
    I would hope that Crossbow or Photon would increaes the color depth to 16.7M colors

    I would like my next WM phone to be 480x480 , 16.7M colors
  19. #19  
    LONG time Palm OS user - 6135, 300, 600, 650, and now with my 700wx (I also have a 700p that never sees the light of day any more). I don't have any issues at all with the 240 x 240. Rarely do I notice it. No problems at all. And I use my wx for movies, with TCPMP, as I did with my 650 and p.

    All good for me.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    The camera is just like any other 1.3MP camera (good or bad is an opinion, I really don't care), the PROBLEM is no matter what sizre the picture is, you are looking at the pic on the treo, a 240x240 screen. You won't see the "true picture quality until you view it on a PC. And like I said, that opinion at that time is questionable. Its just not as bad as it is on the treo. make sense?
    you won't really be seeing the true pic quality of any picture on a mobile device then, regardless if its 320x320 or 240x240.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions