Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    I switched from my 650 to the 750 and I do notice the difference but doesn't seem too bad to me since most of the text is very readable (especially with cleartype on)...still getting adjusted though...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  2. #22  
    I am working on a review of the 750 now and while I do notice the difference in resolution, it is more how the screen space is used that is disturbing to me. I am finding good reasons to not like browsing because there is so little space actually devoted to the browsing and much more devoted to the buttons and tools around IE (and Opera). WM could take a page out of the PalmOS side of things and simplify the interface just enough so that you at least get the pixels you are said to get.

    Other than that, I notice no difference at all with the screens other than when looking at pics. My 650 blows the 750 out of the water.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I am working on a review of the 750 now and while I do notice the difference in resolution, it is more how the screen space is used that is disturbing to me. I am finding good reasons to not like browsing because there is so little space actually devoted to the browsing and much more devoted to the buttons and tools around IE (and Opera). WM could take a page out of the PalmOS side of things and simplify the interface just enough so that you at least get the pixels you are said to get.

    Other than that, I notice no difference at all with the screens other than when looking at pics. My 650 blows the 750 out of the water.
    why not just use PIE in full screen mode?
  4. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    480x480 baby. None of this 320x320 stuff. If we're going to upgrade resolution, why not move up to the upper tier

    Hopefully this will be Palm's next innovation.
    you realize that something like that will have a battery life of 5 minutes....LOL remember there is a penalty for all this. I still remember when the Palm vx had a battery life of a WEEK or more. Oh wait that wasn't a phone, but I remember when my NON-Color phones had a long battery life.
  5. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    Other than that, I notice no difference at all with the screens other than when looking at pics. My 650 blows the 750 out of the water.
    Hmmm. I gave my 650 to my brother and I'm still pretty sure that it had MUCH better screen resolution and it was drastically noticeable. My girlfriend has the 700p and when I pick hers up even after a day or two of having the 750 I'm amazed at the difference in resolution, so I really think that you are not being honest with yourself if you can't see a significantly noticeable difference in the screens. I have posted something similar to this in the same thread and I'm amazed that people are still trying to convince themselves that the 750 screen is similar to the Treo 650, 700p, and 680. There is no comparison.
    I'm still keeping my 750, but at least I'm realistic that there are some major differences in speed and screen clarity between the older Palms.
    As an example, I got a phone call and someone was asking me if I was doing anything on February 3rd. I pulled up the calender and it took about 15 seconds for me to get to that date on the 750, it would have taken about 2 seconds to pull that up on the Treo 680.
  6. #26  
    mmereos, what 3rd party apps do you have installed? My 700wx calendar pops up almost instantly on my 700wx.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  7. #27  
    I think what is the difference in perceptions is peoples difference in perceptions.

    I think some people are probably more aware of the resolution than others just as a personal characteristic.

    I know sometimes I look at peoples photographs, I notice there photofinisher has done a terrible job with the color. For example a bluish cast over the photo. If I cover the picture except for a white shirt and ask the person what color they see, they answer blue. But looking at the photo as a whole they don't notice the color cast at all.
  8. #28  
    Im a converter that switched over from the 650 to the 750 and i can see the difference especially with movies (via the kinoma player and the WMP)....HUGE difference! The 650 seems so much more clearer! I was having a hard time adjusting....Now i just installed the Slingbox ... not too bad!!! the resolution looked pretty good as well! So maybe with different apps it looks better! But to answer your first question...YES there is a difference!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    why not just use PIE in full screen mode?
    Good call there. I have slipped into using that here and there, but like the on-screen controls as well as I havent memorized the shortcuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    Hmmm. I gave my 650 to my brother and I'm still pretty sure that it had MUCH better screen resolution and it was drastically noticeable. My girlfriend has the 700p and when I pick hers up even after a day or two of having the 750 I'm amazed at the difference in resolution, so I really think that you are not being honest with yourself if you can't see a significantly noticeable difference in the screens. I have posted something similar to this in the same thread and I'm amazed that people are still trying to convince themselves that the 750 screen is similar to the Treo 650, 700p, and 680. There is no comparison.
    I will say it like this. I don't watch movies or care to do much multimedia with my Treos. Its not why I bought em. I do a ton of text based items and therefore in compairing text versus text, there isn't much of a difference. There is a difference when compairing pictures, application bitmaps, and other visuals that rely more on color depth and dpi. Its in that that the 650 is better, but not a deal breaker for my use (completely).

    Quote Originally Posted by jerms55555 View Post
    Im a converter that switched over from the 650 to the 750 and i can see the difference especially with movies (via the kinoma player and the WMP)....HUGE difference! The 650 seems so much more clearer! I was having a hard time adjusting....Now i just installed the Slingbox ... not too bad!!! the resolution looked pretty good as well! So maybe with different apps it looks better! But to answer your first question...YES there is a difference!
    That there is a multimedia user's view. I'd be so much as to agree with Jerms' opinion if I were doing the same thing.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  10. #30  
    I honestly do not know what all the hype is about the screen resolution. I had an 8525 and I can barely notice any difference other then screen size. I think the screen resolution and brightness is great. the "only" screen I can tell a difference in is the dial pad screen is not as crisp. Not a big deal IMO.
  11. #31  
    There is definitely a difference, that's for sure, but I do not mind it. It is only noticeable at certain times. I would love to make the text size smaller, but that makes the low res more noticeable. But nowhere near enough to go back to Palm OS, which is the real question if you think about it...
  12. #32  
    You can make the scroll bars in WM thinner so you can have more viewing space (registry hack). I did this to my 700wx and 750. I don't notice a difference honestly between my Palm OS and Windows Mobile Treos in terms of screen, they both look really good.
    Jimmie Geddes
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    You can make the scroll bars in WM thinner so you can have more viewing space (registry hack). I did this to my 700wx and 750. I don't notice a difference honestly between my Palm OS and Windows Mobile Treos in terms of screen, they both look really good.
    always one of the first things I do with a new PPC device. Makes a big difference.
  14. #34  
    gadgetluva, do you know where I can find a link to that reg hack to shrink the scroll bar?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerms55555 View Post
    gadgetluva, do you know where I can find a link to that reg hack to shrink the scroll bar?
    google WM5 scrollbar registry edit and there should be some info on it. I don't have a direct link.
  16. zeze22's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
    Are there any other Palm OS converts out there struggling with this?

    Being honest, I didn't expect this to play much of a role in me moving to the new WM5 OS... I like many, was/am of Palm resting on their laurels and riding the dying horse that is the Palm OS...

    However, the resolution is really the only drawback of note that I'm having a real issue with... seemingly trivial to me, but when I look at the screen on my soon to be sold 700p... and then the 750... the difference is rather striking.... and with the number of high resolution apps that I was using, I'm second guessing the buy....

    Some of the games and utilities look downright unusable in WM5 - for example... compare Bejeweled 2... I know, just a game, but Lord that thing has gotten me thru some rough patches after a cancelled flight...


    I agree that it is an indisputable problem. My advice is to never look at a Palm OS Treo again or you will drive yourself nuts, like I did. I am currently in a triangle between the 750 and the 680 for that reason primarily, as well as ease of use of POS.
  17. #37  
    I think you guys are looking at it all wrong. it's not the 240x240 screen that's all bad. it the fact that the 320x320 was so good. compairing blackberry, palm and windows, palm had a nice screen. you have to figure that the more pixels in a smaller area is bound to be sharper. there is no difference between any of the wm 240x320 screen vs the wm 240x240 screens. just the size of the screen.

    again, 700w/wx - 750 screen isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, same resolution as the other wm devices just with 2/3 the screen. the palm 320x320 screen was just awesome. ahead of it's time. maybe even today.
  18. mmereos's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    mmereos, what 3rd party apps do you have installed? My 700wx calendar pops up almost instantly on my 700wx.
    Stroths,
    This is with no applications loaded. My whole outlook calendar synched going back years (just like it was on my 600, 650, 680. Go to Week View, then click left or right. I will have to click 5 times to move left or right to the next week, and I will also see the little PieChart(equivalent to mouse hourglass) if I keep going. Month View is pretty quick and so is year view. Even Day View is quick but it will pause for a few seconds if there is an appointment and it will seem like it's not doing anything, while you are scrolling through the days.

    I want to say, as I said before, I'm pretty happy with the 750 and it's a keeper, but it's definitely slower and more sluggish of an OS then the PalmOS, there absolutely no doubt about it. I played with the old Windows CE devices when they first came out years back and aside from some UI changes Pocket PC is still Windows CE to me, and it's just as sluggish. Heck even activesynch is listed as WCESMGR.exe under task manager.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions