Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow. I also lost it. First time in ages I got the "only supported 3G phones" message. What a bunch of pricks (cingular.) Why do they have to do this? Well, if I'm not mistaken the Blackjack is supported. If I can get an export of the registry for IE, we might be able to fool CV in to thinking the 750 is a BJ. That is unless they're now using IMEI to I'D the phone.
    Ok....I think you're right. Mine's not working anymore either.
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    Hey folks. I got Cingular Video working again on my Treo 750. I had to change the "User Agent" setting in the registry to the BlackJack's ID. CV seems to let this through since I believe the BJ is a supported CV device.
    See my post here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...4&postcount=10
    And head over to web page here for the .reg or .cab file to make the edits.
    I would suggest downloading and saving both .cab (or .reg) files and use them to toggle your setting back and forth. If you visit the wrong site looking like a BlackJack you could potentially download something for Smartphone edition instead of Pocket PC. I can't think of any now, but just a heads up.
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/cingularvideo/
    Let me know if this doesn't work. It works for me.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    and thats why i love this site dam hes good
    Thanks taylor....will give it a go.
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    "User Agent" setting in the registry to the BlackJack's ID!!!!

For the first time EVER Cingular Video is working on my Treo 750. GREAT hack, just hope it doesnt screw with other sites that do browser checking - should'nt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    "User Agent" setting in the registry to the BlackJack's ID!!!!

For the first time EVER Cingular Video is working on my Treo 750. GREAT hack, just hope it doesnt screw with other sites that do browser checking - should'nt...
    There is a potential that some sites which attempt to ID you will of course see you as a Blackjack. One example is http://mini.opera.com/ uses the user agent setting to ID you and give you the proper download. In the particular case of opera mini it doesn't matter because it gives you the same download for all WM pocket PC or smartphone devices. But other sites that may feed you a native .cab file might make a difference.
    If you encounter mobile sites that try to give you a download, just be aware of this. The BJ is a W5 smartphone edition and the Treo 750 is a WM5 PocketPC edition. So mis-identifying you could mean that you'll get a smartphone version instead of pocketpc.

I recommend you keep both .cab (or .reg) files on your treo in a folder. Just install the Treo or BJ .cab to toggle your setting back and forth at will. Make sure you close IE completely and re-start it betwen just to be safe.

I use keep the proxy disabled and the user agent on Treo 750 (default) most of the time. When I want to use CV I just run the enable proxy .cab and Blackjack user agent .cab. When I'm done I run the disable proxy .cab and the restore Treo 750 user agent .cab.

Actually I've gotten to I just leave it on the BJ most of the time because it's rare that I actually need the Treo 750 user agent, but still you get the point. The .cabs are very quick to run and change the registry setting. No need to uninstall anything, just run the .cabs back and forth.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    There is a potential that some sites which attempt to ID you will of course see you as a Blackjack. One example is http://mini.opera.com/ uses the user agent setting to ID you and give you the proper download. In the particular case of opera mini it doesn't matter because it gives you the same download for all WM pocket PC or smartphone devices. But other sites that may feed you a native .cab file might make a difference.
    If you encounter mobile sites that try to give you a download, just be aware of this. The BJ is a W5 smartphone edition and the Treo 750 is a WM5 PocketPC edition. So mis-identifying you could mean that you'll get a smartphone version instead of pocketpc.

I recommend you keep both .cab (or .reg) files on your treo in a folder. Just install the Treo or BJ .cab to toggle your setting back and forth at will. Make sure you close IE completely and re-start it betwen just to be safe.

I use keep the proxy disabled and the user agent on Treo 750 (default) most of the time. When I want to use CV I just run the enable proxy .cab and Blackjack user agent .cab. When I'm done I run the disable proxy .cab and the restore Treo 750 user agent .cab.

Actually I've gotten to I just leave it on the BJ most of the time because it's rare that I actually need the Treo 750 user agent, but still you get the point. The .cabs are very quick to run and change the registry setting. No need to uninstall anything, just run the .cabs back and forth.
    Thanks for the heads up. I do have the reg. restore file for this hack - so far so good. It seems with this reg. file the images on a specific page that once was compressed is now showing up in all its graphic glory. It used to be all compressed and hard to see (Its a graph - Line chart), now it shows like the cingular proxy isn't enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstink View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I do have the reg. restore file for this hack - so far so good. It seems with this reg. file the images on a specific page that once was compressed is now showing up in all its graphic glory. It used to be all compressed and hard to see (Its a graph - Line chart), now it shows like the cingular proxy isn't enabled.
    That's the Cingular proxy. I wasn't sure from what you said if you knew that.
    That's what the proxy does. It compresses images so that your total web page download size is reduced thus you use less bandwidth and pages load much faster.
    It's really a very nice and beneficial thing to have for casual web browsing. But as you pointed out it screws things up when you don't want it. One example is weather radar and traffic. I got to look at weather maps and or traffic maps and they're unreadable because of the compression.

I leave the proxy disabled 100% unless I'm using Cingular video.
    Then I use one of these services to compress web sites for me:
    Skweezer http://www.skweezer.net/
    Mobileleap http://mobileleap.net/v2
    Google Mobilizer http://google.com/gwt/n

The reason is because these services give you the flexibility to control how the pages are presented to you.

Or, I just use Opera Mini for 90% of my casual web browsing because it does the server side page compression/rendering and makes web browsing very fast.
    The problem is getting opera mini on a Treo 750. I'm using IBM Java MIDP20 and I even finally figured out how to make a dedicated shortcut set up to opera mini so I don't have to launch it form the midlet manager. It works just like a native app now.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I understand what the proxy is doing... I guess what I meant to say is all of a sudden using the Cingular Proxy is NOT compressing these specific images but it is still enabled as I can goto //device.home.

Very strange indeed, this last reg. using the blackjacks browser ID, seems to allow for some page images not to be compressed. Also displays the Cingular MediaNet pages differently (Somewhat expected that they formated it diff. for the BlackJack/Smartphone).
    Ah, I totally misunderstood. You're saying you don't get image compression with the Blackjack user agent ID even though you're using the proxy.
    That's really interesting. I wonder what (Cingular's) logic is on this.
    I noticed with the user agent set at Treo 750 the cingularvideo.cingular.com URL returns as WAP file which is why it won't load.
    Set the user agent to Windows CE generic and you get HTML, same with Blackjack.

I wonder if the proxy is seeing the Treo 750 as a "wap phone" and compressing the images as it would for like a Razr, etc.? Of if this is related at all.
    I wonder if this is (compression) intentional or an oversight with the Treo.

Thanks for explaining this. Now I'm going to be paying attention. This is good to know.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12