Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good info, but 5 times. That's not a lot, since it sounds like cingular gives the wrong code sometimes.
    For anyone thats interested the problem with cingulars unlock codes has been fixed, and the service can be ordered through www.gsmphonesource.com
    I got my unlock code but the directions from Cingular said to use a Cingular SIM. I entered the code as indicated above and both times I got a response that the command was not supported. Is the key with a 750 using a non-Cingular SIM?

Cingular is going to re-verify my unlock code since I did not want to enter it too many times and screw the phone up.
    Make sure that your number lock is on. That's what happened with me the first 4 tries! I finally realized that my code was correct, I just had not pressed the number lock as I was used to my other Treos defaulting to number input when it was obvious that numbers were called for. That is not the case for unlock on the 750. So make sure the number lock is on. Good luck!
    Palm III -> Palm m105 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 600 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 650 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 680 -> Cingular Treo 750 (now unlocked!)
    where do these unlocking services get the numbers from? kind of odd that someone who isn't palm and isn't cingular can get the number but i can't get it all by my unassisted self?
    It is just an encryption program. You punch in the IMEI and out pops the unlock code. The trick is knowing the encryption or algorithm or whatever. hehe
    Palm III -> Palm m105 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 600 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 650 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 680 -> Cingular Treo 750 (now unlocked!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    It is just an encryption program. You punch in the IMEI and out pops the unlock code. The trick is knowing the encryption or algorithm or whatever. hehe
    so how do they know how to break the encryption? in this day and age it certainly seems that palm could make the encryption unbreakable so that the only way someone else could get it is to steal it... still makes no sense to me.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I think it's a general GSM algorithm with carrier-specific seeds. It doesn't really require being unbreakable - just annoying enough to prevent the average user from figuring it out.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I just wanted to say I purchased an unlock code from gsmphonesource Saturday morning and received it Saturday night. It worked great. I am a new Cingular customer and I didn't want to wait and go through the hassle of getting a Cingular rep to give me the code. This service is a good working alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    I just wanted to say I purchased an unlock code from gsmphonesource Saturday morning and received it Saturday night. It worked great. I am a new Cingular customer and I didn't want to wait and go through the hassle of getting a Cingular rep to give me the code. This service is a good working alternative.
    I'm interested in getting an unlock code, being a new Cingular chap myself, but what would be the benefit of unlocking the phone as a new customer to, let's say T Mobile? Would yuou be paying bills to both companies then? How does this work out?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Unlocking simply allows the phone to accept a SIM from any carrier and not just the one who subsidized the original purchase. There's no obligation to pay fees to the original carrier assuming you didn't agree to a contract committing you to some term of service.
    I received my code from Cing and was told the #, # process and it did not work. Well the long and short is they confirmd the code and said somthing was wrong with the phone. I exchanged it and requested the new code, got it , but this time was told that the #,# thing was for the 680 ONLY and not the 750. Just instert another non cing SIM. Did that and it worked, no issues.

I would suggest that if you have a code and another sim and you enter the code and it is not working, it is becuase the code is wrong
    Not sure if this may be the cause as to Cingular's IMEI unlocking, but when I called into warranty to try and get my phone exchanged due to some problems, they identified my IMEI as belonging to a Treo 650! Maybe that could be the culprit--misassigned IMEIs.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12