Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Well it seems a sucker is born everyday. I have been a loyal Treo user for a while and had a 650 for the past 2 years. It worked great with all of my BMWs (2005 325, 2007 X3, 2007 530 w/iDrive). I wanted the 750 for 3g speeds and some other improvements. I seem to have fallen victim to the same issues as everyone else here. Constant dropped connections, doesn't load my phonebook or even speed dials (just downloads Voicemail and Directory Assistance?). Sometimes it rings in the car, sometimes the phone... Have had the phone 1 day and haven't tried the "workarounds" yet, but I will give it a week... if it isn't working I will probably return it and stick with my 650 since it was so much more reliable!
    http://www.jetwaremobile.com/bthfx/s...m#Requirements

I am very curious. Am picking up a 2007 X5 and also just picked up an HTC 4350, but am considering switching to the 750. But, I really want to find out if this issue can be resolved with this program. Anyone up to a little experiment?
    I tried this software and their various patches but nothing resolved the problem. If you notice the lead in on their software says,

"The JETware Hands-free Extension extends the capabilities included in the Bluetooth stack built in to Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE and Windows Mobile 5.0 based phones. It will not work on Windows Mobile phones that use third-party Bluetooth stacks"

Evidently according to the experts the Bluetooth stack on the Treo 750 is NOT Windows Mobile, it is third party, hence all the problems that everybody has written about.

However, I will tell you that since I last paired my Treo over a month ago I have had great success (other than whenever I get a call waiting notice regardless of whether or not I answer it once I hang up a call most times the iDrive continues to "ring" and tell me I have a call. The only way to fix this that I have found is to go into the system menu in the idrive and disable then re-enable the bluetooth--which is actually rather easy--you do not need to repair the phone).

The time I paired the phone last I already had my Treo paired to a headset and while paired to that device I added the BMW ('06 5 series). I have no idea if this was a total coincidence, which it probably was or if by already being paired to an active device it somehow caused my Treo to pair correctly but now it works virtually every time I get in the car. I just make sure that my Treo is on and the screen is active when I start my car and then it works fine.

By the way the jetware software did nothing for me except that it allowed the signal strength indicator to work on my iDrive display instead of showing nothing. For what it is worth this feature still works after the free trial ends on the jetware software so you might as well load it.

But again, the jetware software does not, nor does it claim to improve connectivity. In short, I think it would add some functionality to other devices perhaps but nothing other than the signal stregth.

Lastly, the only phone book entries that come over to my BMW are the 10 speed dials on the today treo screen, nothing else makes it from my Treo. And experience has proven to me that you should look up and dial numbers from the Treo--not the iDrive (don't worry the iDrive will pick up the call) because sometimes tones do not seem to stop when using the iDrive.

In short although far from perfect, for me this is acceptable in order to use what I feel is the best device out there in the 750--despite its shortcomings.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I posted in another thread about having picked up a HTC P4350 and a Treo 750 (for evaluation). I really like the Treo more, in spite of its lack of Wifi. Though I am awaiting my delivery of a 2007 X5 next week, I went to the dealership and tried to pair both phones, and they worked succesfully.

There is online references to the fidelity of the HTC P4350, so I am not too concerned about that phone. But I have been lurking in the background on this thread, and I can say that the only way I will consider keeping the 750 is by using a bone conduction earpiece. Its funny, because I know that I may make more phone calls out of my car, but the neurotic in me tells me that something like bluetooth should be able to work flawlessly and I want to take advantage of the handsfree in my vehicle.

If I remember correctly (or maybe not), bcalis is a mac user. I think it is time that Palm really sit back and assess their position in the mobile industry. Yes, I believe that their market share has gone up. Great. However, if you have had the chance to use Apple's customer/technical service, it is going to put Palm's tech support to shame. It is not hard to make a case for Apple really thinking through the engineering issues on their products. At the moment, it would be a stretch of the imagination to think that Palm has the same ability (can we say no inherent WiFi yet?).

While many of us have used a Treo or supported a Palm since the days of their first handheld, I am not so sure that this will continue. Read over some people's sigs..."Future phone: iPhone." Why? Because it will, I think, deliver on one particular aspect which seems to elude Palm...it will work out of the box.

Its too bad that the execs of Palm seem to have confused Darwin's seminal theory of survival of the fittest with survival of the dumbest. In today's customer-focused and -driven economy, this company will deserve its fate.

So, having said that, can anyone recommend any good BT earpieces?
    Don't judge the compatibility by just pairing. That works. Here's how to see trouble:
    1.) Pair
    2.) Turn off car, left Treo sleep.
    3.) Get back in car, wait for Treo to connect to bluetooth automatically (like it should). Then wait for a few minutes. 50% or greater chance you will start to see the "searching for paired devices".

This is the whole problem with the bluetooth issue. It will pair and make you think it's working. But try to send and recieve calls and it will most likely fail unless you try workarounds like keeping the Treo on all the time.

It really depends on how much you want it to work with the car. If you really want or need a reliable connection to the BMW, forget about the 750. I did this for six months and finally gave up. Life's too short for the frustration. Even when it did stay connected, it was russian roulete to whether the call would work. I had several calls where it connected but no audio on the bluetooth or the Treo. Only solution was a soft reset.

The Treo can be a good device if it meets your needs. But there are other choices that work far far better with a BMW. You need to judge this on your priorities, but I kept my BMW (and my Mac) and sold the Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
    I posted in another thread about having picked up a HTC P4350 and a Treo 750 (for evaluation). I really like the Treo more, in spite of its lack of Wifi. Though I am awaiting my delivery of a 2007 X5 next week, I went to the dealership and tried to pair both phones, and they worked succesfully.

There is online references to the fidelity of the HTC P4350, so I am not too concerned about that phone. But I have been lurking in the background on this thread, and I can say that the only way I will consider keeping the 750 is by using a bone conduction earpiece. Its funny, because I know that I may make more phone calls out of my car, but the neurotic in me tells me that something like bluetooth should be able to work flawlessly and I want to take advantage of the handsfree in my vehicle.

If I remember correctly (or maybe not), bcalis is a mac user. I think it is time that Palm really sit back and assess their position in the mobile industry. Yes, I believe that their market share has gone up. Great. However, if you have had the chance to use Apple's customer/technical service, it is going to put Palm's tech support to shame. It is not hard to make a case for Apple really thinking through the engineering issues on their products. At the moment, it would be a stretch of the imagination to think that Palm has the same ability (can we say no inherent WiFi yet?).

While many of us have used a Treo or supported a Palm since the days of their first handheld, I am not so sure that this will continue. Read over some people's sigs..."Future phone: iPhone." Why? Because it will, I think, deliver on one particular aspect which seems to elude Palm...it will work out of the box.

Its too bad that the execs of Palm seem to have confused Darwin's seminal theory of survival of the fittest with survival of the dumbest. In today's customer-focused and -driven economy, this company will deserve its fate.

So, having said that, can anyone recommend any good BT earpieces?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Thanks for the heads up, bcaslis. I suspect that I will quickly terminate by experience with the Treo 750.

I was wondering if maybe WM6 might be able to offer some sort of resolution to this issue? That is where I get confused. Is the problem a Microsoft issue that could be remedied with a new OS? Some of the posts seem to intimate that. But, then again, some of the HTC products seem to work well in spite of being WM5 as well.

Or, is it a Palm-related issue. Who knows?

Maybe I should just cave and buy the Blackberry Pearl until the iPhone comes in. You would have imagined with how far engineering has come that one company would be able to hit the smartphone nail on the head.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Well after a week and trying it out in 2 of my 3 BMW's I seem to have it working ok. I have installed JETwares plugin and use the "make sure the phone on" work around. On my 2007 530 w/iDrive it pairs fine, loads my phonebook and I am able to initiate and end calls using the iDrive. It also displays the signal strength and caller ID information. On my 2007 X3 without iDrive, it pairs ok and stays connected. It loads the phonebook but I am unable to initiate or end calls using the car, I must use the phone itself. Overall it works fine for me at the moment and I am hoping that WM6 with its "vastly improved bluetooth stack" will fix these problems. Maybe even BMW will come out with a firmware upgrade for the bluetooth. Basically, the issues would not force me to return the phone as I find it vastly superior to my T650 (after I have installed quite a few 3rd party apps that is).
    OK, this may have been covered before, but I did not find a reference to it in this thread in a quick review of the entire thread...

...do you think that our incompatibility with BMW's bluetooth system could in fact be related to Palm using Bluetooth 1.2 vs. the Bluetooth 2.0 version that is available in HTC products? I am thinking of going to this thread on Bimmerfest (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...w+assist+phone) where people are reporting on which Bluetooth phones are compatible with their BMWs.

I think I am actually going to try and check this out by compiling compatible phones. As an example, the Blackberry Pearl, which has been reported to work (in this thread and bimmerfest), utilizes Bluetooth 2.0. The Motorola Q and RAZR kind of blow my theory out of the water, as they are BT 1.2.

So in the end, I imagine that this may be too simplistic of an explanation. Having said that, I wish there was a way for us to upgrade the Bluetooth in the 750.

ycrazyy, you really have me wondering if things our connection problems could be resolved with the WM6 upgrade. In the interim, seeing that we will both have 2007 BMWs, you have me wanting to make another trip to the dealer to experiment with the Treo's connection with the X5.

bcaslis, your thoughts?
    No, it's not 1.2 versus 2.0. It's called QA testing. All the WM Treos have trouble with the BMW bluetooth. The Motorola Q however works fine as does the Blackberry Pearl.

It's impossible to know if WM6 will fix this because it depends on what Palm implements. Even if WM6 fixes the problem, the Palm implementation may or may not have a problem. Really no way to know until it's released.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Well, I went back to try both the Palm and HTC one more time, based on turning the car off and then getting back in.

Wierd results: this time, the Palm worked reasonably ok with many calls being made. I was starting to wonder if it made a differnce if the steering wheel controls were used to answer and end calls vs. using either the iDrive control fob or the phone itself. Didn't have that much to try that out. At any rate, the really odd thing was that today, the HTC P4350 absolutely refused to pair. Very bizarre.

So, I was left with the possibility that both phones would leave me with an unreliable BT connection with the BMW. With that in mind, I decided to go with the one that would give me the best phone experience. Based on conversations with friends using each phone, it was easy to pick the winner based on audio quality and ease of use....

...so I decided to embrace the dark side. The HTC is gone, and I am on board with you guys full time now. Yes, misery loves company! Anyhow, the dealer told me that they will update my vehicle with their most current software, but I am not holding my breath.

Now that that is sorted, I need to figure out a whole bnch of things. Where is that "Staying Alive" ringtone now?
    try this, it works most of the time! right after you start car, watch for the connection indicator. once you have one, immediately initiate a call and waite for a connection (I call my voicemail at work), then hang up. The 750 nine times out of ten, will stay connected, you can use your iDrive, the stearing wheel button, and the treo to Dial and/or Answer calls.
    Last edited by Drest; 04/05/2007 at 02:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I too experience the same problems with my '06 BMW. I had the 8525 which had the disconnects, and then bought the 750 with the hope that this issue would be corrected. No such luck. My Razr works perfectly, every time. Very frustrating.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Same problems, '06 X5 Nav, sometimes the Treo works, sometimes it doesn't
    Blackberry 7130c works perfectly
    Razr works fine, although I like how the Blackberry says home or mobile next to the name

2thdr How do you like the 07 X5? I need to go take a look at those
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Well, the latest ROM for the 8525 (AKU 3,5) has resolved my bluetooth issues, so I am tempted to stick with it over my newly purchased 750. I do prefer the Treo in many cases, but the 8525 is so fast. Decisions, decisions...
    well, i am delighted at last !!

i have just installed and tried the latest Jetmobile 1.30 on my Treo 750v (Vodafone original Rom but unlocked and using O2 sim)

i have always been reasonable happy with the Bluetooth connections, only suffering dropouts if i have turned the engine off to say, fill up with fuel and then turn back on after 5mins or so.........which i guess is the 'sleep' issue discussed many times on this thread

generally, in the morning, when i get in the car, i turn the phone on, place in my brodit active holder, turn on the engine and connection happens pretty quick.......the connection holds for all journeys (30mins to 3.5hrs are the norm) and all calls are answered via the steering wheel and ended by the steering wheel..............

the only thing that never worked was the contact transfer..............UNTIL NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

with the JetMobile 1.30 file, all contacts have just transferred............ i turned the ignition off, and then on, and they still load up!!! finally i can keep the phone in the pocket or in the arm rest holder rather than out on view...........

my specs are as follows

UK based

BMW 330d '06 model 3 series

BMW Business Bluetooth

BMW standard Radio (not iDrive) where the phone is accessed through the one line orange display

Treo 750v Vodafone original Rom but unlocked

JetMobile 1.30

i am keeping all things crossed, but i just MIGHT have fallen back in love with my near perfect TREO !!!!!!!!!!!!
    oh, and as these things are generally flaky and order dependant, i can add that i installed the Jetmobile onto my Treo and then went to my car with the existing Pairing - i did not delete and re-pair after installing Jetmobile
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have an '06 BMW (with iDrive) and I still have bluetooth drops, even with Jetware installed. I love this phone, but since a ROM update for my 8525 has resolved my bluetooth drops, I will more than likely return the 750. I think the 750 is a better device for me, but I just cannot stand these issues with bluetooth! Adjusting the power settings so it doesn't turn off is not a viable option; the capacity of the battery is so small on the 750 it runs down in no time at all.

Does anyone know if Palm will be releasing WM6 or a ROM update for WM5 any time soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
    I have an '06 BMW (with iDrive) and I still have bluetooth drops, even with Jetware installed. I love this phone, but since a ROM update for my 8525 has resolved my bluetooth drops, I will more than likely return the 750. I think the 750 is a better device for me, but I just cannot stand these issues with bluetooth! Adjusting the power settings so it doesn't turn off is not a viable option; the capacity of the battery is so small on the 750 it runs down in no time at all.

Does anyone know if Palm will be releasing WM6 or a ROM update for WM5 any time soon?
    would a Brodit active holder or Palm car charger be a viable option? this will power and charge as well as keep the phone powered on...... i tend to do long journeys so power is essential.......but perhaps if you do relatively short journeys, then plugging in and removing constantly might be a pain
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.rees33 View Post
    would a Brodit active holder or Palm car charger be a viable option? this will power and charge as well as keep the phone powered on...... i tend to do long journeys so power is essential.......but perhaps if you do relatively short journeys, then plugging in and removing constantly might be a pain
    Not for me; I can't stand extra "things" in my car. My commute is in fact short, and don't drive too far. Yesterday I removed Jetware and re-paired the 750 with my car. I was not in the car very long, but it did seem a bit more stable. It probably was not an adequate test, but I'll see how it does this coming week. I also noticed there was a "Wired Car Kit" application. I configured it to allow the car kit to turn wireless mode on/off, but I'm not sure really what it does, or if it will make a bit of difference. So far this weekend, I am swapping back and forth between the 750 and my 8525. Each one has their advantages, and all things being equal, cannot decide which one I really prefer. I've had the 750 for less than a week so I'm sure I just need more time with it to decide.
    I'm having problem with my 750 pairing with a 2005 BMW 325i, they seem to be sporadically so I'm not sure what's causing this
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast