Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Dr. B.,
    Thanks for the tip on the 3125. I really need the keyboard for e-mail, or I'd just go back to hauling around my laptop. To paraphrase a current ad, Frustrating. Very, Very, Very Frustrating.
    I thought the group might like reading Palm's response to my request that they come up with a fix for the BT problem with the TREO 750:

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Ralph. I understand that your Treo™ 750v will not work properly when connected to your BMW Bluetooth® Car Kit.

I certainly recognize that this is an important concern. I assure you that I will do my best to resolve your issue.

We understand that more and more automobiles are being released today. Sadly, there are also some drawbacks, with all these new automobiles coming out so often we have a lot of catching up to do with regard to the compatibility it has with our devices.

As much as we would like to help you; however, the driver of your phone model is still not available. This means that your BMW is currently not supported. We understand that this issue may be important to you. That is why when an updated phone driver is already available and has been tested, it will automatically be posted on our website.

Our Research and Development Team are working to develop an update for the support on other automobiles.

Please visit our Treo 750v compatibility page from time to time for updates. You may click on the link below and bookmark the page in your web browser:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...Case=obj(43141)

We would also like to take the opportunity in inviting you to our worldwide Palm newsletter so that we can immediately notify you about new released patches and updates. You have the option of signing up to the latter by going to the link provided below:

http://pref.news.palmnewsletters.com...c=us&b=generic

Should you have further issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find more information about Palm products, including troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://www.palm.com/us/support

A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you shortly. We hope you will take the time to provide us with feedback about your support experience as it will help us in our effort to continually improve our services.

Thank you for choosing Palm.

Sincerely,

Ralph
    Palm Technical Support
    Not exactly helpful response from palm - is it? Very interesting reading here. I have had my 750 for one week now. My main problem is contact transfer to my 2006 build 530i. I cannot get any contacts to transfer including speed dials. Can anyone suggest to transfer at least some contacts across?
    Quote Originally Posted by specialk2323 View Post
    Not exactly helpful response from palm - is it? Very interesting reading here. I have had my 750 for one week now. My main problem is contact transfer to my 2006 build 530i. I cannot get any contacts to transfer including speed dials. Can anyone suggest to transfer at least some contacts across?

Well after everything that people have said on here about Palm, I was surprised how helpful that e-mail was.

They have confirmed that they are working on a new Driver and will post it on that link as soon as it's ready. What more could you ask. At least they say they are working on it.

Si
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I've had better luck in the past few days making sure that the T750 is on prior to starting the car (Audi, A8, 2006). Call quality has been great, signal strength updates and speed dials download into the "Phone Book" registry. I have a four hour road trip this afternoon, so I'll get a good long-term test.

As I've thought about it, I think I've decided to keep the T750 and hope Palm fixes it, or a third party BT stack emerges. I've gotten used to the touchscreen on the Palm, so I prefer that over the BlackJack. I'll find some time this weekend to go by a Cingular store and hold the Blackberry, but that seems like the only reasonable alternative for a speedy smartphone.

My T650 is just beat up and the charge/sync connector is worn out so that the cables won't stay in very well, sothat's why I'm changing. Lurking in the back of my mind is a plan to give back the T750 and find a T650 on EBay or Amazon.
    No you are reading that wrong. It's a standard boiler plate reply. It says nothing except they don't claim it's compatible. They don't claim the 650 is compatible either but it works.

It only says if they get a new driver they will post it. But you know that there is no substance here, a fix wouldn't be a driver it would a change inside the bluetooth stack. They sent this same boiler plate for problems with the 700w back in January 2006. There's still no fix for that yet and it's a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by BigladUK View Post
    Well after everything that people have said on here about Palm, I was surprised how helpful that e-mail was.

They have confirmed that they are working on a new Driver and will post it on that link as soon as it's ready. What more could you ask. At least they say they are working on it.

Si
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Is the bluetooth stack something that in theory could be a software fix or is it only firmware or hardware?

I also agree that that Palm answer had no substance. The laugher is that they claim "with all these new carkits out there it is hard to keep up" yet the two year old 650 with the latest firmware did work.
    In theory this should be fixable in the OS software (which is held as firmware). So it could be fixed in the existing hardware, but I personally don't think they will ever do it. They'll have new devices before they bother fixing this (and probably never will).

Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Is the bluetooth stack something that in theory could be a software fix or is it only firmware or hardware?

I also agree that that Palm answer had no substance. The laugher is that they claim "with all these new carkits out there it is hard to keep up" yet the two year old 650 with the latest firmware did work.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My weekend roadtrip was a disaster. At every turn of the ignition I made sure to have the phone powered from an external adapter and turned on. Yet I lost the BT connection regularly. Even worse, my T750 started falling victim to the other malady that I read about: "going dumb." It wouldn't ring, wouldn't indicate I had missed a call and wouldn't signal receipt of new e-mail, text messages or calendar events. I couldn't even refresh the BT connection to bring it back. I had to do a soft reset to get everything going again. There are separate threads on several Treo-centric websites about this problem.

So, it's back to my T650 while I evaluate the Blackberry choices. I hate this because when the T750 did work it was the best phone I've ever seen from Palm. I'll be checking back to this thread to see if the problems are ever fixed.
    Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
    I share your frustations. If the bluetooth wasn't junk, the 750 would be a much better device for me.

FYI, the Blackberry Pearl works flawlessly with the BMW bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by foneil View Post
    My weekend roadtrip was a disaster. At every turn of the ignition I made sure to have the phone powered from an external adapter and turned on. Yet I lost the BT connection regularly. Even worse, my T750 started falling victim to the other malady that I read about: "going dumb." It wouldn't ring, wouldn't indicate I had missed a call and wouldn't signal receipt of new e-mail, text messages or calendar events. I couldn't even refresh the BT connection to bring it back. I had to do a soft reset to get everything going again. There are separate threads on several Treo-centric websites about this problem.

So, it's back to my T650 while I evaluate the Blackberry choices. I hate this because when the T750 did work it was the best phone I've ever seen from Palm. I'll be checking back to this thread to see if the problems are ever fixed.
    Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
    Just not sure how to deal with this. I did the update with 1.24 from Jet and I seem to still have a problem with the BT of my 06 Acura TL. It seems to not be disconnecting from the system and if I get a call away from the car its trying to send it to my hands free and no audio on my palm. Ugggg.

I have the Cingular Treo 750. Any ideas?
    There are bugs in the Palm bluetooth implementation. The Jetware extension adds features but it can't fix bugs in Palm's software. Not much to do unless Palm does an update.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin-tl View Post
    Just not sure how to deal with this. I did the update with 1.24 from Jet and I seem to still have a problem with the BT of my 06 Acura TL. It seems to not be disconnecting from the system and if I get a call away from the car its trying to send it to my hands free and no audio on my palm. Ugggg.

I have the Cingular Treo 750. Any ideas?
    Here's a laugh. Palm updated their compatibility list for bluetooth car kits:

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...Case=obj(43141)

Never seen so many nos. Looks like if you don't use a Parrot system or Toyota the answer is no. Way to go Palm!
    I probably should not post this yet because I need to test it longer but....

This evening I activated my bluetooth headset (Jabra 250--but probably not important). Afterwards without turning it off I paired my Treo with my BMW iDrive (2006 5 series). It worked for about an hour in the car and I made several calls. No disconnects and worked great. All the speed dial entries showed up in the phone book on the in dash display.

I am thinking, actually hoping that keeping the headset turned on and paired to the Treo might have done enough to keep the Treo in contact with the iDrive by somehow keeping the connection active. I am guessing here and would be curious if someone else can give this a try. I never touched the headset but just left it on and paired.

If this works all day tomorrow I will follow up with another post.

Still have the same limitations with only being able to "see" the 10 speed dial entries and the signal strength meter does not work but I can live with that because I can always look up numbers directly in the Treo phone book. Besides if this continues to work I will try the Jetware software again which I know fixes the signal strength.

________
    As a follow up it appears that having a headset connected the next day did not allow a connection to the car kit. However, for whatever the reason my bluetooth connection has been working for 3 days solid without any issues at all.

I am not sure whether it has something to do with the initial pairing a few days ago or what but everytime I get in the car it connects and works fine. I can only guess that it was the way it paired intially. Although I have noticed that now my Treo screen dims after inactivity so that it is faintly lit whereas before it would shut off completely--at least I think. Maybe this is somehow keeping the connection alive better. I wish I new more as to why this is working.
    Last edited by Dsol; 02/27/2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: New information
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Well, thanks to all of you for the most in-depth discussion of the 750's instability with BMW Bluetooth. I have a 2006 BMW 330i, and have been frustrated by the random disconnects (with apparently no hope for any real improvement anytime soon). Like most of you, from time to time it seems like it works. I even thought maybe Palm had sent an update the other day that fixed it - because it stayed on the whole time. But the next day, right back to the old problems. And like many of you, it's particularly frustrating because the 650 worked SO well. I loved the fact I could forget it was in a briefcase or jacket in the trunk and the phone was still active. Now, I have to remember to carry my 750 with me so I can reconnect it while I'm driving without having to pull over and get it out of the trunk.

One observation, though - wondering if any of you have seen this - I find that even when I'm not in my car, the Bluetooth icon on the Today screen will sometimes show it's disconnected, even if it shows it's still "Discoverable" in Wireless Manager. Other times, it seems to stay "blue" for a longer period of time. But it's curious that it seems to continue to randomly disconnect even when I'm not in the car. Might this be an indication of a more fundamental BT problem with Palm, and not necessarily only a pairing/connection issue with the multitude of cars with which it's apparently incompatible? Amazing they can backtrack so much from the 650.
    Yes, I've seen the bluetooth icon staying "blue" thinking it's still connected. It's clearly bugs in the bluetooth software, once it gets into a condition that the bugs hit all bets are off. Really the only way once you get into this is a soft reset.

I've been so frustrated (more and more so over time) with the 750's bluetooth that I've been using a Motorola Q for the past two. Works perfectly every time. No workarounds needed, no problems. So the problem is clearly with Palm or Microsoft or both.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoJeff View Post
    Well, thanks to all of you for the most in-depth discussion of the 750's instability with BMW Bluetooth. I have a 2006 BMW 330i, and have been frustrated by the random disconnects (with apparently no hope for any real improvement anytime soon). Like most of you, from time to time it seems like it works. I even thought maybe Palm had sent an update the other day that fixed it - because it stayed on the whole time. But the next day, right back to the old problems. And like many of you, it's particularly frustrating because the 650 worked SO well. I loved the fact I could forget it was in a briefcase or jacket in the trunk and the phone was still active. Now, I have to remember to carry my 750 with me so I can reconnect it while I'm driving without having to pull over and get it out of the trunk.

One observation, though - wondering if any of you have seen this - I find that even when I'm not in my car, the Bluetooth icon on the Today screen will sometimes show it's disconnected, even if it shows it's still "Discoverable" in Wireless Manager. Other times, it seems to stay "blue" for a longer period of time. But it's curious that it seems to continue to randomly disconnect even when I'm not in the car. Might this be an indication of a more fundamental BT problem with Palm, and not necessarily only a pairing/connection issue with the multitude of cars with which it's apparently incompatible? Amazing they can backtrack so much from the 650.
    Yeah, I'm even contemplating going back to my 650 (which was perfectly fine, but I got lured into getting rid of the kidney-buster antennae, since I usually carry it in my pocket). Disappointing they would screw up something that seemed to be working so well.
    OK, I posted this on the Cingular user group site as well - I was tinkering with my 750 the other day (the one that disconnected frequently from my 2006 BMW 330i, and wouldn't even maintain Bluetooth "on" (discoverable) when I wasn't in my car). After doing a soft reset, I deleted the 750 pairing in my car, and then reestablished the pairing. I used passcode "1111". Interestingly, in the original pairing it identified my 750 as my user name (name in the Settings>Owner Information field). When I re-paired, it identified it as "unknown." But now it seems to work like it's supposed to - Bluetooth remains on full-time (OK, adding to a bit of battery drain), and I don't have to reconnect Bluetooth every time I get in my car (and 3-4 times more during the drive). I'm hoping I haven't jinxed myself, but it's been almost a week, and it's only failed me once...
    Been using my Treo 750 in my BMW iDrive --2006 5 series since Feb 26 with only a few problems. Basically they only occur when call waiting comes into play. Sound has been good. As I stated earlier on the speed dials transfer but keep the Treo handy and look at the display to see who is calling if you don't recognize the number. Also don't send tones through the car kit either they seem to hang. Basically, use the idrive only to answer calls or select from the recent calls, missed calls, etc.

I now also use a RAZR on weekends and the iDrive recognizes both no problem and even seems to "remember" the acitivity related to calls, etc., where I left off last time.

Could it be the way I paired it--not sure but so far after countless problems in the past it seems to work. My gut is the bluetooth in the Treo is behaving differently now for some reason but who knows??
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I could give you a big long history that nobody would care about, so I won't. I am going to cut to the chase. My Cingular Treo 750 (used to be Vodafone 750v) downloads all my contacts (not just favorites) that are in sych with my Outlook (hundreds). And I am staying connected to my BMW 2005 545i iDrive if I do the following (here is the "Kind-of"): I make sure my Treo is on (not sleeping-not sure if this is necessary but I don't care), I wait until I see the little connection icon on my BMW display panel, I initiate a call via the Treo (I use the Treo Voice Command and usually call my voicemail) and once connected I end the call. It is staying connected, I can recieve (displays caller ID on my BMW Panel), I can initiate using the iDrive using my downloaded contacts, I can initate using the Treo. I do, however, use the Treo to answer a call instead of pressing the button on my BMW (again not sure if it will work using BMW, but I don't care).

It would definitely be nice if it worked perfectly like my Cingular 3125 (everytime like clockwork never fails), but it doesn't yet. And I can live with these annoyances for now.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast