Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I hope you are right, but I'd bet real money that any update won't have a fix. Why?

700w: released 1/06, one firmware update, bluetooth still broken.
    700p: released 5/06, no updates, still has bluetooth problems.
    700wx: released 7/06 (not sure exact date), one minor update for SMS, bluetooth still broken.
    750v: released 9/06, Cingular 750 released 1/07, same bluetooth problems (very similar to 700w/700wx problems).

Notice a disturbing pattern here? Sorry to be a pessimist, but knowing about a problem is different than fixing it. Palm's record on bluetooth on WM5 devices has been terrible in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell View Post
    I think that we are either going to have to wait for someone who knows how to write programs to create a fix for our Blutooth woes, or wait for Palm to release the 1st update for the 750! I'm sure they know about this bug as well as most others by now.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I don't want to jinx myself, but after fussiness the first 2 days with my bluetooth 750 connection with my 2007 BMW 550i, I haven't had ANY problems in last 2 weeks. My phone works great. The contacts don't all upload, but they never did with my Treo 650 either (I only was ever able to have the speed dial entries upload). I'm crossing my fingers that I can continue to at least use my phone consistently with no drops!!

Are you doing anything special? I've discovered that if the Treo is on (screen is on) when I turn the car on, the bluetooth seems to work pretty reliably. If the screen isn't on, then I have all sorts of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mccartykj View Post
    I don't want to jinx myself, but after fussiness the first 2 days with my bluetooth 750 connection with my 2007 BMW 550i, I haven't had ANY problems in last 2 weeks. My phone works great. The contacts don't all upload, but they never did with my Treo 650 either (I only was ever able to have the speed dial entries upload). I'm crossing my fingers that I can continue to at least use my phone consistently with no drops!!

I just purchased the Palm Treo 750 only after testing the bluetooth connection on my 2006 BMW 530i (idrive w/Satellite Radio and Nav). Sounded so much better than the Motorola MPX220 I had. Even tested it after turning the car off and on again. Shortly after purchasing it started having all the problems described on this thread. Even if I leave it plugged into car charger and not in sleep mode when I turn car on, it eventually disconnects. Speed dials all transfer, but no signal strength. When BT works it is great. But I never know if it is working. May have to return phone if no patch or fix. Anyhting else I can try? So frustrating!
    Well I've been messing with this thing for three months. All my issues are documented in this thread and the BMW bluetooth thread. Main things I've found are:

1.) No formatting in any numbers in the speed dials. For example, if I have the number "+1 (123) 123-1234" it gets transferred as only "+1" which of course doesn't work. I have to have the number be "+11231231234" instead.
    2.) Turn on Treo so screen is on. Turn on car. Important note, Treo must be on before the key is in the ignition, since this turns on the accessories and powers the bluetooth (in my car at least). I've been surprised after months of bluetooth crashes that this allows the Treo to connect successfully. Once connected the Treo can go to sleep normally and the bluetooth connection is maintained. If I fail to do this, the bluetooth goes into all sorts of problems on the Treo that require a soft reset.

Other than that I don't think there is much you can do. It's clear the Microsoft bluetooth has issues which no amount of voodoo can fix.

One other thing I will say is I tried a Blackberry Pearl and it's bluetooth works flawlessly. So it can be done, just normal sub-standard Microsoft software on the Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by FLAESQ View Post
    I just purchased the Palm Treo 750 only after testing the bluetooth connection on my 2006 BMW 530i (idrive w/Satellite Radio and Nav). Sounded so much better than the Motorola MPX220 I had. Even tested it after turning the car off and on again. Shortly after purchasing it started having all the problems described on this thread. Even if I leave it plugged into car charger and not in sleep mode when I turn car on, it eventually disconnects. Speed dials all transfer, but no signal strength. When BT works it is great. But I never know if it is working. May have to return phone if no patch or fix. Anyhting else I can try? So frustrating!
    BCASLIS I have read all your posts several times as well as all the others on this thread. You all know much more than I do about BT and Treos. Thank you for your assistance.

Unfortunately, every time I think I have the issue resolved, the BT cuts out (even when the BMW shows it is still connected). In my latest attempt this morning I followed BCASLIS' suggestion and made sure the TREO was on an awake befgore putting key in ignition of my BMW '06 530i. First few calls worked fabulously. Then I heard a beep while driving and looked at screen of TREO which indicated a call coming in. I could not answer it and the BMW did not recognize it or allow me to answer it. Missed the call. When I tried to call the person back, BT would not work at all and my Idrive computer froze. (Couldn't turn off BT on BMW).

I have checked my 6 speed dials and they don't have any wierd symbols. Just numbers. I guess I will have to return the TREO, even though I love it because I use my BMW BT all day long on the road. Any chance a patch is coming soon?
    I emphasize with your problems. It's certainly possible that after some period it just stops working. My drives are typically less than 1 1/2 hours so maybe a longer time is a problem. Also my car doesn't have iDrive, the bluetooth is controlled through the stereo controls. It's possible there is a difference in the systems.

A patch would be nice, but I haven't heard anything about one other than an HSDPA patch sometime in the first half of the year. No idea if there would be a bluetooth fix then, but Palm's record on bluetooth the past year has been terrible. The Treo 680 does work much better with the BMW bluetooth but I didn't like the 680 for other reasons.

BCASLIS I have read all your posts several times as well as all the others on this thread. You all know much more than I do about BT and Treos. Thank you for your assistance.

Unfortunately, every time I think I have the issue resolved, the BT cuts out (even when the BMW shows it is still connected). In my latest attempt this morning I followed BCASLIS' suggestion and made sure the TREO was on an awake befgore putting key in ignition of my BMW '06 530i. First few calls worked fabulously. Then I heard a beep while driving and looked at screen of TREO which indicated a call coming in. I could not answer it and the BMW did not recognize it or allow me to answer it. Missed the call. When I tried to call the person back, BT would not work at all and my Idrive computer froze. (Couldn't turn off BT on BMW).

I have checked my 6 speed dials and they don't have any wierd symbols. Just numbers. I guess I will have to return the TREO, even though I love it because I use my BMW BT all day long on the road. Any chance a patch is coming soon?
    Well I spoke too soon. I made a call tonight and then had a call come in. The incoming call hung up before I could answer, but the phone was stuck and continued to ring on the car stereo. To get it to stop I had to turn off the car and reset the phone.

I give up. There is just no hope to get this working correctly with the bluetooth on the car without a fix from Palm. And I see no sign that is coming.

As Bcaslis I too have tried everything that I can think of related to combinations of power, software, pairng, etc and I have concluded that connections are random at best. Yes when it works it is really terrific, but the best solution is to just turn off bluetooth in the car and use a headset!

If you go to the palm support website for cingular 750 and follow the link to bluetooth then look at the list of supported car kits it is almost laughable--probably 75-80% in the list say they won't work. How Palm can say that they brought a car into their offices to test bluetooth and make sure it works and then release a phone with so many issues is not right.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the problem lies with the bluetooth stack that palm uses, which is NOT a microsoft stack but either their own or some third party. If they used a MS stack it would work supposedly.

I think they are the only ones that can release a fix and it doesn't sound like it is on the horizon.

Maybe one of the senior members here can convince the owner of this blog to post an open letter to Palm regarding this pervasive BT issue as it affects all of their WM5 phones and they say nothing about a fix--especially for what is supposed to be the top of the line pda/ppc device available aimed at the business user.

Bcaslis or any moderator that reads this--what do you think?
    Last edited by Dsol; 01/24/2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
    I agree with you that Palm needs to fix this. I have little hope of getting them to respond however. Their response to the Treocentral users letter on the 700p forum was laughable. They basically blamed the more "complex" issues on "power users" like we are a dirty word or something. I was very upset with their response and there has still been no fix released for the problems on the 700p (including bluetooth issues, although less severe than what we seeing on the WM5 devices).
    I had another trouble free day. Made and received about 10 calls. No problems this morning or on my way home tonite. I don't know if it has something to do with a 2007 550i vs. 2006, etc. but for some reason, I've been working fine for more than 1 week now. Of course I don't get the entire phone/address book nor the signal strength meter/display, but I don't mind on either point. I also never use the car to dial-out... always initiate a call from my phone.
    Hmm, well I suppose initiating a call from the car could be the issue. I also initiate from the car, the Treo is usually in a shirt pocket and I want both hands controlling the car. I'd be interested if initiating a call from the car works, I suspect you will have problems as soon as you try to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mccartykj View Post
    I had another trouble free day. Made and received about 10 calls. No problems this morning or on my way home tonite. I don't know if it has something to do with a 2007 550i vs. 2006, etc. but for some reason, I've been working fine for more than 1 week now. Of course I don't get the entire phone/address book nor the signal strength meter/display, but I don't mind on either point. I also never use the car to dial-out... always initiate a call from my phone.
    I have a 2006 5 series with idrive and I have all the problems. With my Treo650 though it did behave much better if I intiated the call from the Treo--call waiting would not disconnect me either but it did if I initiated the call from the IDrive it seemed to.

By the way MCcartykg if you want the signal strength you might try the jetwaremobile software (it also has a bunch of other options and it has a freee trial period)--although if you are working consistently maybe best not to mess with a good thing.

And by the way can you reiterate how you paired your phone and whether you make sure your phone is on and active as bcaslis suggests or if you just get in the car and go--I would love to be able to get mine to work consistently. I can't believe that BMW actually might have tweaked their bluetooth between 2006 and 2007 model years considering that they use a third party but maybe they did.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Boy did I goof. I just assumed that because my T650 worked well with the Audi MMI in my '06 A8, the 750 would be better. I have had the phone just a short time and have all the problems described here, but with several mutuantations I haven't seen mentioned. For example, when I initiate a call from the phone (because my speed dials don't download) the radio won't mute, but I can't hear the call in the phone. Or the radio will mute, but I can't hear the call.

Also, the only service I can get in the "Hands-Free." I've seen others report being able to use a "Carkit" service. Very frustrating. I suppose I'll bang my head against the wall and call Audi.

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Blackjack? That seems to be my next choice.
    Save your energy--Audi will not be able to help you it is a limitation with the Treo and not Audi--Audi likely buys their kit from a 3rd party manufacturer and just adds it to the car such as a VDO gauge or a Blaupunkt radio.

Cross your fingers that Palm will release a fix in an upcoming update--but don't count on it as Palm has had these problems with all their WM5 devices for over a year and don't seem to care.
    Quote Originally Posted by foneil View Post
    Boy did I goof. I just assumed that because my T650 worked well with the Audi MMI in my '06 A8, the 750 would be better. I have had the phone just a short time and have all the problems described here, but with several mutuantations I haven't seen mentioned. For example, when I initiate a call from the phone (because my speed dials don't download) the radio won't mute, but I can't hear the call in the phone. Or the radio will mute, but I can't hear the call.

Also, the only service I can get in the "Hands-Free." I've seen others report being able to use a "Carkit" service. Very frustrating. I suppose I'll bang my head against the wall and call Audi.

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Blackjack? That seems to be my next choice.
    Now thats wierd because my 750V works perfectly with my MMI enabled Q7 when it's set to stay on all the time and pluged in.

The carkit everyone is talking about is not a service but a catagory that you need to add your contacts too so they transfer. For the record, my contacts took nearly a minute to transfer over the first time.

It's very strange your getting problems as me and the other guy on this thread with an A4 seem to be sorted.

PM me or e-mail me if I can help you our, maybe there's a bluetooth or MMI update available ?

Si
  17.    #57  

As you know, I have an Audi A4. I tried the Cingular 8525, that worked similarly to the Treo 750, constant disconnects and reconnects! Phone book showed up.
    Then I tried the BJ for a few days and the Bluetooth worked fine, but had no phone book or the ability to initiate any calls with the Audi car kit...worthless to me
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'll give the "T750 On" method a try and report back. FWIW: Palm does say that the 750 is not compatible with the Audi BT implementation. I guess that's the difference between the Palm OS BT stack and the MS BT stack.

But as I've scoured the 'net for information this morning I can't find any other smartphone that's winning rave reviews for BT compatibility except a couple of Crackberries--but I find their interface to be hard-to-use.

Glad we at least have a cluster of folks trying to get this solved.
    Most Microsoft OS devices have problems with bluetooth (what a surprise). The Blackberry Pearl and Motorola Q seem to work very well with most bluetooth systems.

I'll give the "T750 On" method a try and report back. FWIW: Palm does say that the 750 is not compatible with the Audi BT implementation. I guess that's the difference between the Palm OS BT stack and the MS BT stack.

But as I've scoured the 'net for information this morning I can't find any other smartphone that's winning rave reviews for BT compatibility except a couple of Crackberries--but I find their interface to be hard-to-use.

Glad we at least have a cluster of folks trying to get this solved.
  20.    #60  
    I have to tell you, my Cigular 3125 Smartphone works perfectly fine with my Audi!
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast