Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I didn't try it yet, but will later!
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
  2.    #22  
    I didn't get a chance to check it out, but will and I'll let you know!

DrB
    Well that's interesting. I tried briefly three times in a row connecting, making a call, and disconnecting with 750 on to see how it worked. And it worked OK. This isn't definite test since it was too brief, but normally I would have expected it to fail on the second call.

Not sure if it helps me since I don't see how I can use it like this. Leave it to Microsoft to have a bluetooth stack that doesn't work when a phone is sleeping.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #24  
    I tried it in my Audi with power on, wouldn't you know it disconnected right after! this really blows

DrB
    Oh, the only other thing I did was change the settings on the bluetooth options in the car to only sync contacts from the phone rather than phone and sim...

Might be nothing but maybe worth a try ?

Si
  6.    #26  
    I finally got it to stay connected!!!! I have the power on while connected to my car charger and the screen can go dim!

DrB
    Well it looks like JETware is at least trying to fix the dropped bluetooth problems.

http://www.jetwaremobile.com/forums/...thread/58.aspx

There are some other interesting hacks I see there. Hermes specific settings (that may also work on 750), and a force full power mode which might help with the connection issues.

http://www.jetwaremobile.com/bthfx/Devices.htm
    Last edited by hannip; 01/15/2007 at 06:29 PM.
  8.    #28  
    I've done the JetWare application, even the newest Build Beta files and it still doesn't prevent the disconnect!

DrB
    I tried today several times leaving it on while starting the car. It seemed to help and the phone seemed to connect and call OK. Of course I got home and thought that this might be acceptable workaround. But as soon as I tried to do something I found all sound through the speaker was off. Also sliding the switch from sound to vibrate on top did nothing, no vibration. A soft reset fixed this, but still the same old buggy Palm stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell View Post
    I finally got it to stay connected!!!! I have the power on while connected to my car charger and the screen can go dim!
    Congrats.

So forcing it not to go to sleep didn't work but plugging it in did.

You got to love this Bluetooth idea....were no further forward than were 5 years ago having to plug the phone in to something.

Si
  11.    #31  
    Your right, we assume that these devices are fully tested before they are released. At minimum they should know that WM5 has this Bluetooth issue. I had the Cingular 8525 and it has the same problem with disconnects as the new Treo 750! I have the Cingular 3125 as my spare and the BT works flawlessly with my Audi A4. Maybe the 3125 should be my primary phone and the 750 be my spare?

DrB
    It's clear there are basic problems in the Microsoft bluetooth stack. Some devices (like the Motorola Q) use their own bluetooth stack and work fine. Those that use Microsoft's implementation have lots of problems.

One note from my tests yesterday. I'm not sure you need it on all the time. I think the key is that it must be on when the car turns on and the connection is negotiated. Once the connection is established, if it is connected OK then it will stay OK. The disconnects that are being seen are because the original connection is done wrong causing the Treo's bluetooth stack to crash or malfunction later.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It's clear there are basic problems in the Microsoft bluetooth stack. Some devices (like the Motorola Q) use their own bluetooth stack and work fine. Those that use Microsoft's implementation have lots of problems.

One note from my tests yesterday. I'm not sure you need it on all the time. I think the key is that it must be on when the car turns on and the connection is negotiated. Once the connection is established, if it is connected OK then it will stay OK. The disconnects that are being seen are because the original connection is done wrong causing the Treo's bluetooth stack to crash or malfunction later.
    I definitely agree, because one of the biggest upgrades in AKU 3.0 is bluetooth functionality. Everyone over at xda running 3.0 BRAGS about the BT on their devices.

Another note, The Samsung i730/i830's use the MS BT stack, BUT use an OBEX profile that is different than any other phone I have seen. Not sure if it's theirs or they just use someone else's. But those phones work perfectly with BMW's. So I'm not sure if it's the stack itself or simply the OBEX profile.
    OK, I tested this for a couple of days. The problem seems to be in the negotiation of the bluetooth connection. Sometimes this results in the looping searching for paired devices issues, sometimes it looks like it's connected until you make a call.

For the pasts few days I've done the following:

1.) Turn on Treo. This means it's on so the screen is on.
    2.) Turn on car.
    3.) Let Treo go to sleep normally (you don't need to leave it on all the time).

In three days of tests, this has allowed the bluetooth to work correctly with a BMW 2006 330i. If you don't do step 1 then you are almost guaranteed to have problems as described in posts before.

While this isn't a solution, it does seem like an effective workaround. Hope this helps someone out.
  15.    #35  
    I'll give it a try this morning and report on my Audi!

DrB
    That defo don't work in my Audi...As soon the Treo goes to sleep, the connection and drops and Bluetooth turns off.

Si
    Guys,

Perhaps this setting will help:

23. Prevent any connected Bluetooth device from timing out (sleeping) by changing the "Sleep" value from 1 to 0 in registry location HKCU\ControlPanel\Phone.

I thought that might be something to look into.

HTH!
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  18.    #38  
    Using Resco Exlporer can't find this registry setting! HKCU\ControlPanel\Phone

DrB
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    OK, I tested this for a couple of days. The problem seems to be in the negotiation of the bluetooth connection. Sometimes this results in the looping searching for paired devices issues, sometimes it looks like it's connected until you make a call.

For the pasts few days I've done the following:

1.) Turn on Treo. This means it's on so the screen is on.
    2.) Turn on car.
    3.) Let Treo go to sleep normally (you don't need to leave it on all the time).

In three days of tests, this has allowed the bluetooth to work correctly with a BMW 2006 330i. If you don't do step 1 then you are almost guaranteed to have problems as described in posts before.

While this isn't a solution, it does seem like an effective workaround. Hope this helps someone out.
    First of all to Bcaslis and the rest of you experts on here thanks for all the idea sharing and efforts. Unfortunately, I too am the recipient of this same problem. I just tried the above work around several times and my BMW--2006 5 series--still cannot maintain a Bluetooth connection no matter what I try.

Jetwaremobile has a new beta that didn't help (although the signal strength meter did show up when it was connected, and they have a couple of patches aimed at the HTC Hermes TyTn platform which according to them is the same as the 750 (I can not comment on that though). I have tried every combination (external power, various settings, repairing--you name it) and it still seems to be a crapshoot. The frustrating thing is that when it does connect the sound is terrific. I have even tried to limit the phonebook transfer to allow the connection to happen quickly and this does not help either. I have seen the BT connection drop with the screen lit up, dimmed, external power, no external power--you name it. Jetware mobile also claims to have a hack that maintains a Bluetooth connection constantly and you can actually notice that the Bluetooth icon stays with the white background (which indicates a BT connection) after you hang up a call, but then it too disconnects eventually too. I agree with you that the state of the phone (sleep, awake, etc.) does not seem to impact because in my case the disconnects happen randomnly, but almost always after ending a call.

I also think that my car kit is different than a 3 series from the same year so this might also be contributing.

One thing I did notice is that the connection seems to come and go constantly, but it nearly always seems to come back, and if I make a call while it is back it works for the entire call.

The jetware mobile site (no I am not trying to plug them but they seem to know what they are talking about) states that they only guarantee their software with actual windows BT stacks, not third party and I guess the 750 stack is a third party so this no doubt contributes.

Here is a question--is it possible to install some other BT stack software and disable the BT stack that comes preinstalled. I know for instance on a desktop machine there are all kinds of BT drivers that you can install yourself.

Yes I am showing my ignorance regarding WM5 and Treo's but I am so frustrated having to use my annoying headset instead of my car kit for the 2-3 hours a day I spend in my car.--It was so nice on my Treo 650 when my radio would mute and I could see the name of the person that was calling me on my dashboard--how can a 2 year newer phone go backwards?!?!?!
  20.    #40  
    I think that we are either going to have to wait for someone who knows how to write programs to create a fix for our Blutooth woes, or wait for Palm to release the 1st update for the 750! I'm sure they know about this bug as well as most others by now.

DrB
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast