1.    #1  
    Just a question, I have the 700p and might switch back to the wx... but the one feature which I'm really enjoying is the on-screen dial pad. I can't recall if the Windows OS has anything like that? I um, hear on screen dialing is the future or something. Might as well get used to it now.

Thanks in advance.
    It's in there.
  3.    #3  
    Is it right up front like with the 700p, or hidden in a menu? If so, can a shortcut be made?
    From the Today screen it is 2 keystrokes. Right Softkey + d. So at most you'd have to press the green phone button to get to the Today screen plus two keys.

However, if you paste a shortcut of \Windows\PhoneDialer.exe to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs you can then assign a button to open it such as the side button.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    From the Today screen it is 2 keystrokes. Right Softkey + d. So at most you'd have to press the green phone button to get to the Today screen plus two keys.

However, if you paste a shortcut of \Windows\PhoneDialer.exe to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs you can then assign a button to open it such as the side button.
    Thanks Hannip! I just happened to be trying to figure out a way to map the dialpad to a button last night, but gave up. Nice idea :-)
    but you know what - you don't even need to have the soft screen dial pad there, because you can very easily dial numbers (or letters - either one) right from the Today screen. Just pick up the device and mash away on the hard keyboard - letters OR numbers - and your results will show.

I find that when I talk with folks who come from a Palm OS device (as I did, for many years with Palm) that they think they need to SEE that soft screen keyboard that was the default Phone app screen on the 600 and 650, to be able to dial numbers with a 700w or 700wx. Not so! Just pick it up and dial away, right on the Today screen.
    Yeah, the Palm enhancements such as the today dial plugin are very nice. The only time I use the dialpad is to dial numbers by letters.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post

I find that when I talk with folks who come from a Palm OS device (as I did, for many years with Palm) that they think they need to SEE that soft screen keyboard that was the default Phone app screen on the 600 and 650, to be able to dial numbers with a 700w or 700wx. Not so! Just pick it up and dial away, right on the Today screen.

Sorry that was a little abstract for me, not having a phone in front of me and being new to this. Are you just stating the obvious, saying I can use the keys on the qwerty keyboard, or did you mean that the soft screen keyboard will pop up if you press it as if it's already there. I don't know how anyone could dial a number from the keyboard itself. I have tiny fingers and it's a chore.
    What you do is just start typing the name of the person you are calling if they are in your contacts. After 1 or 2 chars have been typed (configurable) a list of names and numbers are shown and you select the one you want to call. If they aren't in your contacts you will need to either type the phone number or use the dialpad.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blipstutter View Post
    I don't know how anyone could dial a number from the keyboard itself. I have tiny fingers and it's a chore.
    Actually, after having the 700w for this long I have gotten very good at just dialing a number from the keyboard. Most of the time I just search for the name but if just dialing a number.... doesn't bother me. I just need Verizon to come out with the wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by blipstutter View Post
    Sorry that was a little abstract for me, not having a phone in front of me and being new to this. Are you just stating the obvious, saying I can use the keys on the qwerty keyboard, or did you mean that the soft screen keyboard will pop up if you press it as if it's already there. I don't know how anyone could dial a number from the keyboard itself. I have tiny fingers and it's a chore.
    that's exactly what I'm saying. (without the phone, it would be a little hard to understand). As Hannip said, on the Today screen, you just mash whatever you want to dial Names, numbers - matters not; the device is smart enough to pick up names from your contact database, or if you keep going with numbers, the number part will take over.

An example:

I press [8] [2], which also happen to be letters 'C' 'R' - if I keep going with numbers, I can dial the 10-digit phone number. If I keep going with letters, say, CRANSTON, then I'll dial Cranston McSnerd or whatever.

Simple. Bottom line - no need for that soft screen dial pad. At all.
  12.    #12  
    Unless it's not a previously dialed number, or one stored in your phone already. It sounds like there are great options (like voice dialing) for accessing your saved numbers but I find myself having to quickly dial brand new numbers while on the field. The one thing I do love about the 700P is the phone button takes you right to that onscreen dial pad and you're ready to go. It's silly to think that a feature that could might keep me from switching to the wx, but I'm partial to phone functionalit. Anway, I guess it's good to know it's in there somewhere, but at an extra button click away, the way critics of the wx always gloat about. Aw well.
    maybe I'm not being clear. No need to press any menu buttons to get the soft screen dial pad because you can dial EITHER numbers OR letters right on the Today screen. Just dial the digits. Or - enter the contact name. Same place. Either way works. No need to get the soft screen dial pad going.
    (how else can I say this?).

I think dialing on the 700wx is even easier than on Palm OS. just enter numbers or letters. no need to switch modes or anything. simple.
  14.    #14  
    Seriously what am I missing here? I want the soft screen dial pad, because I'm trying to avoid the keyboard for dialing digits.

Otherwise, I get that you can dial from outside the telephone page, using the keyboard - that part is cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post

for all you palm users, it doesn't get much easier than this. two steps, wake device press side button.

if that is your only reason to stay with pos vs wm then that's silly