1.    #1  
    I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for...

Each contact has a Birthday field. Why isn't this somehow integrated into Calendar? I, stupidly, filled out some important birthdays in contacts thinking that it would automatically populate the calendar - after all - it's supposed to be an integrated PIM, right? Long story short, I missed a couple birthdays, mom's mad, I'm the bad son... that old chesnut...

Anyway, if the Birthday field DOESN'T populate onto the calendar - what is the point of putting it in Contacts? I sincerely hope I've missed a setting somewhere (ie Autopopulate Calendar with birthdays) but I've search and searched and can't find it.

Has anyone had any luck doing this? I'd really like to NOT install another PIM. Seems that functionality (or lack thereof) is an oversight. Not to rustle any feathers, but my old Blackberry used to do that... I fail to see a point in entering recurring appointments in the Calendar when Contacts has a field that should do that very thing...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    You must not synchronize with Outlook. In Outlook, when you populate the birthday field for a contact it automatically adds it as a repeating calendar event. this would then sync back to your Treo. I think anniversaries work the same way.
    That's weird. For me the birthdays are in Contacts, Calendar and the Notification queue so I get alerted. It was automatic. Although I'm not sure that was a function of the phone pim or plaxo on my pc that did it. All I know is I didn't enter them.
    Last edited by hannip; 01/10/2007 at 06:46 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Well, I definitely use Outlook 2003, but, to my knowledge, it doesn't put birthdays on the calendar. Is there some option in Outlook I have to select?
    Yeah, I use outlook as well and all of my birthdays show up as all day events in the calander.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rogers View Post
    Well, I definitely use Outlook 2003, but, to my knowledge, it doesn't put birthdays on the calendar. Is there some option in Outlook I have to select?
    Hmmm, you shouldn't have to do anything special - I believe it just does it by default. Try this: In Outlook, add a birthday to a contact that doesn't have one already populated. Save the contact, and see if it creates a repeating calendar entry. I'm wondering if maybe you have to add the birthday in Outlook rather than have it get sync'd over...
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Works great for me! This is the only way I remember anyone's b-day.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    The birthday function also computes age and shows it on the date.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    PI aslo has a function to create events based on the birthday field, but warns to not enable it if you use outlook...creates duplicates.

I noticed some had events and some didn't. I added some birthdays on the device and they didn't show in the calendar. Open Outlook from the laptop and it shows the birthday field in the contact but not in the calendar. Open and resave in Outlook, sync and they show up.

Hope this helps...