Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found a place in Chicago that has the unlocked Vodafone version, believe it or not. And I'm not sure I'll like Cingular's branding. I'd like to weigh options before shelling out $700.

Assuming Palm will sell a generic 750 at the end of January like it seems to claim on the site, what do you think the generic ROM will be like? And people are saying Vodafone has a better ROM than Cingular. So what's your thoughts?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What's so inferior about Cingular's branding compared to a European company's branding?
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
  3.    #3  
    Cingular likes to cripple options on their ROM for one thing.

Another, people say there are problems with the Cingular ROM that the Vodafone ROM did not have.

I'm still waiting for a real answer and/or opinion to my question.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Cingular likes to cripple options on their ROM for one thing.

Another, people say there are problems with the Cingular ROM that the Vodafone ROM did not have.

I'm still waiting for a real answer and/or opinion to my question.

Iím really wanting to know if folks are having the intermittent data stoppages.
    I know they existed with the Vodafone and Cingular ROM before. It was very annoying to have to end the data connection and restart it. The weird thing is was that ActiveSync still worked even though that would happen. I think it had something to do with DNS and since the IP address had been cached on the 750 already ActiveSync still worked.

Please chime in if you have a Cingular branded 750. I read that one Cingular branded 750 owner said that the data connection seemed to pause at times but thatís not as bad as the situation I explained above.

Take care.

Joe
    I'm using a Voda 750 with a Cingular ROM without any problems. Nothing was crippled after I installed it.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    I'm using a Voda 750 with a Cingular ROM without any problems. Nothing was crippled after I installed it.

Have you had the data connection issues mentioned previous in this thread? Because if you haven't then i might take a look at updating to the Cingular ROM myself. Thanks.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I found a place in Chicago that has the unlocked Vodafone version, believe it or not. And I'm not sure I'll like Cingular's branding. I'd like to weigh options before shelling out $700.

Assuming Palm will sell a generic 750 at the end of January like it seems to claim on the site, what do you think the generic ROM will be like? And people are saying Vodafone has a better ROM than Cingular. So what's your thoughts?
    Could you tell me where the store in the Chicago area is? I am in town on business this week and could be tempted...

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    Have you had the data connection issues mentioned previous in this thread? Because if you haven't then i might take a look at updating to the Cingular ROM myself. Thanks.
    Nope, I haven't had that problem. I've tried the HSDPA hack, too, but my house and my office are just outside 3G coverage. When I am in a 3G area, the best I've been able to get is 400 kbs.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Nope, I haven't had that problem. I've tried the HSDPA hack, too, but my house and my office are just outside 3G coverage. When I am in a 3G area, the best I've been able to get is 400 kbs.
    Did you have the problem before switching to the Cingular ROM? And how long have you been using the Cingular ROM? Thanks for answering all my questions.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    Did you have the problem before switching to the Cingular ROM? And how long have you been using the Cingular ROM? Thanks for answering all my questions.
    I put the Cingular ROM on it not long after buying the phone in mid-October. I didn't have the hack before installing the ROM. I think my low speeds are either due to improperly installing the hack, not having a great deal of opportunity to test or 3G is just slower in this area.

I don't think the ROM is affecting the speed. I am hoping that the rumors of a imminent upgrade ROM that will officially enable HSDPA are true.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Also, it's not good to base your decisions about which ROM is best on just a couple of users (including me).

If my previous phone hadn't had serious issues, I would have waited and saved the money and bought the Cingular version. Today, there is no good reason to buy a Voda version in the US. You can get the Cingular version unlocked for not much money.

I have a www.vajacases.com case for mine, so you can't even see the Voda branding, not that I care.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I put the Cingular ROM on it not long after buying the phone in mid-October. I didn't have the hack before installing the ROM. I think my low speeds are either due to improperly installing the hack, not having a great deal of opportunity to test or 3G is just slower in this area.

I don't think the ROM is affecting the speed. I am hoping that the rumors of a imminent upgrade ROM that will officially enable HSDPA are true.
    HSDPA is not a rumor. It is mentioned as an upgrade for the 750 in "2007" on Cingular's site.

Joe
  13.    #13  
    I have not seen anyone offer to unlock the Cingular version since it's barely out yet! But even if they do, I still cannot tell which ROM will be better. Maybe I'd better wait. If Cingular has crippled anything, I'll find out from those who get the unbranded ROM(if Palm is releasing one).

OK, it's true that it's more than a rumor about the HSDPA, but I'm always pessimistic about these updates.

I can't see why anyone in the US would use a 750 on T-Mobile anyway. You can't take advantage of HSDPA speed if you're on T-Mobile.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    Please chime in if you have a Cingular branded 750. I read that one Cingular branded 750 owner said that the data connection seemed to pause at times but thatís not as bad as the situation I explained above.
    Don't know if this is related to the data connection issue but when I manually sync my POP3 email account, it will stop snycing if the phone display turned off and when I pushed the button to turn it back on the sync had stopped and it didn't sync email. If I did another sync but this time pushed the up and down dpad button to prevent the display from turning off, it would complete the sync.
  16.    #16  
    From a poster on Howard Forums:

For those of you who have the Cingular Treo 750, you'll notice it browses to the Media Net site ( http://device.home// )
    As you may know, it's impossible to get there with that URL unless the proxy server setting is enabled to wireless.cingular.com
    But in my connection preferences, it is NOT set on the "Media Net" connection and the proxy setting is not set.
    Furthermore when I put the SPectec Wifi card in, I can get on the Internet with all apps except for IE, because the proxy is set which is only accessible via Cingular wireless.

Cingular, in thier infinite wisdom, hard-coded wireless.cingular.com proxy setting in to IE, and you can't disable it except to edit the registry! Just so we can access the media net site (http://device.home/) to buy thier ****.

So I used Resco Registry editor and started deleting all kinds of IE settings that looked related to this proxy setting, and eventually got it. It's not obvious which setting it is.

I for one am kind of pissed that this is hard coded in the registry and I have so far found NO way to disable this via menu options or the like.

I'm working on figuring out exactly which registry setting it is. But this is BS.

Cingular's already at it! No Cingular 750 for me! OK, those who have the Voda ROM, what does it disable, if anything?

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52 View Post
    Could you tell me where the store in the Chicago area is? I am in town on business this week and could be tempted...

TIA
    Please let us know how that one works out. If they get another in stock and the Voda ROM isn't crippled, I may be down there again too!

OK, it's true that it's more than a rumor about the HSDPA, but I'm always pessimistic about these updates.

I can't see why anyone in the US would use a 750 on T-Mobile anyway. You can't take advantage of HSDPA speed if you're on T-Mobile.
    For the same reason one would use a Trinity on T-Mobile. The Trinity is 3G and without the hack for the Treo 750, the Trinity gets much faster data speeds since it is not only 3G ready, but HSDPA ready. I inserted a Cingular SIM (3G) into my Trinity and got speeds up to 760 kbps.

But back to your question. Some people just like the size and overall form factor of the 750. Couple that with the fact that Cingular charges $40 for unlimited data on this device while T-Mobile charges $20; Cingular has limited hours tech support and customer support (they are even closed on Sundays) while T-Mobile's support is open 24/7; and other factors... why wouldn't a person want to use a 750 on T-Mo's network?
    David
    If they have in fact hard-coded that proxy in there (*are you sure you can't remove it from the connections settings page?*) then I know a few major enterprise software packages that are going to break.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    You can go to Settings, Connections, Connections, Proxy Settings. I have the Cingular ROM on my 750, and that page is blank. I think that means I'm not using a proxy server.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast