Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    One reason why I shouldn't given them $650, Cingular's practices are really starting to tick me off! The fact that their locked phones are often overpriced for being locked, is another. The first reason is beginning to bother me even more.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Had seen that thread but not the post.

Sounds like you are a Cingular customer, I don't really know why you wouldn't want to get the Cingular one. Much easier to get fixed if anything goes wrong with it. And based on the new law passed, I don't see anyway that Cingular could not provide you a code to unlock it.

I think the Vodaphone version is prettier than the Cingular one (the grey around the screen is different) and the Vodaphone one doesn't have the Cingular phone startup. The Cingular one does work better with Cingular's data (sometimes not much different, sometimes much better). Otherwise there's not a huge difference.

I have been waiting now 7 weeks and still can't get an unlock code from Cingular for my 8125. By the time they provide it I'll probably upgrade to another device. (sigh)

I'm ready to give up and pay one of the unlocking companies for a code.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  3.    #63  
    This is one reason I refuse to buy locked anymore. Begging Cingular shouldn't need to be done! They'd get the message if more people did so, but a lot simply don't know about that option. Maybe you should remind them that they can't stop your from unlocking your phone anymore and see what happens.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Is there another reason to buy an unlocked phone other than using it on another companies phone network?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This is one reason I refuse to buy locked anymore. Begging Cingular shouldn't need to be done! They'd get the message if more people did so, but a lot simply don't know about that option. Maybe you should remind them that they can't stop your from unlocking your phone anymore and see what happens.
  5.    #65  
    No forced carrier ROM and apps. On one of my phones, Cingular loaded 4MB of apps I never wanted to begin with. After I debranded back to a generic ROM, I got all that space back.

However some people really want carrier apps. It's your choice. I like the option to install only what I need.

Isn't it cheaper to buy the Cingular phone and pay someone for the unlock code than it is to buy the Vodafone version?

I only bought the 750v several months ago because my previous phone died. Otherwise, I'd have the Cingular version.

It's your money. Do whatever makes you happy.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
  7.    #67  
    I also don't like Cingular branded ROMs. It may be cheaper but I'd still be stuck with Cingular ROM branding. Unless there is a generic ROM available somewhere. But since Cingular might have hijacked this phone, perhaps keeping Palm from releasing an unlocked version for 2 years, maybe not likely. Now hopefully that isn't true, but that is what a Palm rep is supposed to have said.

I put the Cingular ROM on my 750v, and I can't say I feel "stuck". I can install any software that would run on the Vodafone ROM.

Again, it's up to you. I just don't see the value in paying a lot more money just to have a generic ROM.

Two years from now this phone will be on the deep discount list as they try to clear inventory. There would be no point in waiting that long to release an unlocked version.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
  9.    #69  
    I don't see the point of paying over $500 just to be stuck with one monopolizing carrier with "rules" and practices that are beginning to **** me off.

Well, with the 750, your only other choice is TMobile and their much slower data speeds and sparse coverage outside of cities.

Good luck, but I get the feeling you're not going to be happy with anything.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Honestly, as far as I can tell there is very little in the way of carrier customizations on the Cingular ROM.
    As far as I can tell they are:
    1) Stubs to download Xpress Mail and Goodlink (not even sure good stub is cingular specific)
    2) Cingular ring tone by default
    3) IE uses the cingular proxy by default (in the registry.)
    4) Cingular logo when turning on the phone

#3 doesn't even happen until you turn on a Cingular SIM, then if configures. I think if you put in another carrier's SIM it would disable that setting. That's the way Palm has a one size fits all ROM that will configure for any worldwide carrier. Also, it's a very easy registry edit as you know ( .cab download via my signature.)

I see 0 down side to Cingular's ROM at this point. Plus, you can flash it with the Palm unlocked generic ROM when and if they finally release an unlocked phone.

Chosing between a palm unlocked and a Cingular, I would of course chose the Palm if the price was the same. But at least with the discounts I got for upgrades and data plan, I'll pay a mere $260 after mail in rebate. Even if it were crippled, I'll take it for 40% of the price of an unlocked.

I'm hoping I can get this thing unlocked eventually using the actual code (not a software hack.)
    But do I care that it's locked? I paid a premium for unlocked Treo 600 and 650's and never once actually needed it except for testing or troubleshooting. It came in handy when trying to hack the 650 for the manual network selection. But I'm not going to use T-Mobile, so I don't really have the need for an unlocked.
    Even for my T-Mobile pre paid sim I just use an inexpensive T-Mobile phone.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    Well, with the 750, your only other choice is TMobile and their much slower data speeds and sparse coverage outside of cities.

Good luck, but I get the feeling you're not going to be happy with anything.

You misunderstood that post. I'm well aware that they have better GSM coverage. I just feel they don't deserve to get that much money for a locked phone. And their latest "practices" aren't making me happy.

TaylorH, thanks for the post, but I've already decided not to buy any more phones from Cingular.

P.S. Looks like the 680 thing might have been a bad rumor, but the changing plans and "forgetting" to tell people isn't.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/29/2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Updated.

13.    #73  
    Got the unlocked V version. We'll see how it goes. I don't use data that much(I'm a laptop lover) so I'm unsure as to how the Voda ROM will really affect me in terms of data, but the phone part works fine!

Wow, your avatar changed!

Good luck on your Treo. If you don't use bluetooth much then it will probably be OK. The bluetooth definitely needs work in several cases. But the phone voice quality is really good on the 750.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Got the unlocked V version. We'll see how it goes. I don't use data that much(I'm a laptop lover) so I'm unsure as to how the Voda ROM will really affect me in terms of data, but the phone part works fine!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234