Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    How are the data connections? On the Vodaphone ROM I have lots of issues with the data connection being connected but data not transferring. On the production Cingular version this doesn't seem a problem. I thought the leaked ROMS were pre-production and people were reporting issues with them.
    I used to get at least a 3 or 4 interupted data connections per day on 750v with the V ROM and the leaked Cingular ROM. Had to disconnect and reconnect to get data flowing again. Had the Cingular 750 for about 5 days now and not one data drop out. And trust me, I am using this thing a lot. Safe to say it is not the same as the leaked version. How can we get the ROM offf of one of these? I want to put it on my other 750V.

Take care.

Joe
    Great input, thanks. Well there's goes the idea of using the leaked ROM. I don't think anyone has been successful in getting a full ROM dump and even then it would have to be turned into a install. I don't think that possible at least right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    I used to get at least a 3 or 4 interupted data connections per day on 750v with the V ROM and the leaked Cingular ROM. Had to disconnect and reconnect to get data flowing again. Had the Cingular 750 for about 5 days now and not one data drop out. And trust me, I am using this thing a lot. Safe to say it is not the same as the leaked version. How can we get the ROM offf of one of these? I want to put it on my other 750V.

Take care.

Joe
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    did the reg hack today to circumvent the cng proxy and I can now stay logged into mobile TC
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    What problem are you seeing? I don't have the back and mobile TC forums seem to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    did the reg hack today to circumvent the cng proxy and I can now stay logged into mobile TC
    Where can one buy an unlocked Treo 750 (without plan)?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    cingular, ebay and internet retailers... prices vary with each source.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    One last comment. After some tests it's very clear the Cingular 750 works much much better with their data network than the Vodaphone 750. Aside from lack of data loss (the data connection is still active but no data will transmit until you manually disconnect and then reconnect), the Cingular one will find and connect to UMTS much better than the Vodaphone one. On the Vodaphone one in most parts of my house I can't get UMTS, only a full strength GSM signal. On the Cingular one I get UMTS everytime with 2 bars (if I force GSM I get a full strength GSM also). So if you intend to use it with Cingular data, you'd be silly to get the Vodaphone one.
    Anyone can point me (via PM) to a place where download the cingular rom ?

Thanks in advance !
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    From a poster on Howard Forums:

For those of you who have the Cingular Treo 750, you'll notice it browses to the Media Net site ( http://device.home// )
    As you may know, it's impossible to get there with that URL unless the proxy server setting is enabled to wireless.cingular.com
    But in my connection preferences, it is NOT set on the "Media Net" connection and the proxy setting is not set.
    Furthermore when I put the SPectec Wifi card in, I can get on the Internet with all apps except for IE, because the proxy is set which is only accessible via Cingular wireless.

Cingular, in thier infinite wisdom, hard-coded wireless.cingular.com proxy setting in to IE, and you can't disable it except to edit the registry! Just so we can access the media net site (http://device.home/) to buy their ****.

So I used Resco Registry editor and started deleting all kinds of IE settings that looked related to this proxy setting, and eventually got it. It's not obvious which setting it is.

I for one am kind of pissed that this is hard coded in the registry and I have so far found NO way to disable this via menu options or the like.

I'm working on figuring out exactly which registry setting it is. But this is BS.

Cingular's already at it! No Cingular 750 for me! OK, those who have the Voda ROM, what does it disable, if anything?
    That's my post (I'm "RF9") It's not the "Cingular ROM" per-se, it's that the OS configures itself for Cingular when you turn on the Cingular SIM. That setting is not there on a hard-reset Treo BEFORE you turn it on with the SIM.
    The phone is locked to the Cingular SIM, so I can't confirm, but I'm 99% sure if you put a T-Mobile SIM in it would reverse those custom settings back to normal.

This isn't an intentional crippling. It's actually done to ENABLE you to access the Media Net web site. The side effect is a proxy setting you can't change without modifying the registry.
    Of course, as you can see, that's quite simple. I've got the setting change put in to .CAB files so all you have to do is download/install the .CAB to disable the proxy. I've included on to re-store the poxy back to it's initial setting.

I actually switch back and forth at will. It's more convenient than changing my network settings to use the Proxy.

This is THE ONLY 'custom' setting I've found by Cingular other than their ring tone and splash screen.

I wouldn't worry about the cingular ROM, it appears unscathed from crippling besides this proxy setting. Which again only happens when using a Cingular SIM.

Cripping was one of my fears with the Cingular Treo 750. I know what to look for and aside from the proxy setting there is nothing crippled.

By the way the download is at my (lame ) site http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/disableproxy/ as well as in my signature.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/14/2007 at 03:00 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have to agree. I think Cingular was trying to solve the problem of not being able to get Media Net content and email at the same time. This allows you to do that. The Cingular does work much better with their data network than the Vodaphone one does, no question.

For the person asking to get the Cingular ROM you can't (at least yet). There was a leaked Cingular ROM months ago but it has bugs and doesn't work nearly as well as the released Cingular version.
    thx taylorh/rf9 for the fix...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Actually this is quite clever on Cingular's part. I'd personally LOVE to get to the device.home screen, but I can't because enabling the proxy server breaks some enterprise apps that I have on my device.

I'm going to try this on my 8125 and see if I can enable the proxy for PIE and Cingular on this device as well. I'll let y'all know if this works.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Well .. tried it on the 8125 ... doesn't appear to work. (sigh)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  14.    #54  
    I think I'm going to see what Palm is selling on it's site at the end of the month. If it's the generic ROM, I may try that instead.

Thanks again for the info TaylorH!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    One last comment. After some tests it's very clear the Cingular 750 works much much better with their data network than the Vodaphone 750. Aside from lack of data loss (the data connection is still active but no data will transmit until you manually disconnect and then reconnect), the Cingular one will find and connect to UMTS much better than the Vodaphone one. On the Vodaphone one in most parts of my house I can't get UMTS, only a full strength GSM signal. On the Cingular one I get UMTS everytime with 2 bars (if I force GSM I get a full strength GSM also). So if you intend to use it with Cingular data, you'd be silly to get the Vodaphone one.
    Thank you too, Bcaslis!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16.    #56  
    I just remembered that Cingular will now be ATT, AGAIN! So now you have Cingular branded phones. Does that mean any 750s at the end of the year will have a new ATT ROM? I think I'm just going to wait, LOL!

17.    #57  
    Looks like I may have to get a Vodafone one anyway. If it's true as someone claims, that the 750 is locked to Cingular for 2 years, I'm not waiting that long for a Palm unlocked. By then it'll be too old!

Where did you hear locked for two years? Are you using it with Cingular? If so, I'd just get that and get Cingular to unlock it later if needed.

Looks like I may have to get a Vodafone one anyway. If it's true as someone claims, that the 750 is locked to Cingular for 2 years, I'm not waiting that long for a Palm unlocked. By then it'll be too old!
  19.    #59  
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=48

Makes me wonder if there will be any Palm unlocked 750s as long as Cingular has it's hooks into it. Look what may be happening with the 680s!!

And no, I'm not going to beg Cingular to unlock my own phone that I paid for!! I'll just buy it unlocked to begin with.

Had seen that thread but not the post.

Sounds like you are a Cingular customer, I don't really know why you wouldn't want to get the Cingular one. Much easier to get fixed if anything goes wrong with it. And based on the new law passed, I don't see anyway that Cingular could not provide you a code to unlock it.

I think the Vodaphone version is prettier than the Cingular one (the grey around the screen is different) and the Vodaphone one doesn't have the Cingular phone startup. The Cingular one does work better with Cingular's data (sometimes not much different, sometimes much better). Otherwise there's not a huge difference.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=48

Makes me wonder if there will be any Palm unlocked 750s as long as Cingular has it's hooks into it. Look what may be happening with the 680s!!

And no, I'm not going to beg Cingular to unlock my own phone that I paid for!! I'll just buy it unlocked to begin with.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast