Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Here's more info from the HoFo poster. Those of you with experience on the subject can tell us if this is good or bad. Sounds like Cingular crippled something to me though. This may sound OK to those who want to stay on Media Net or whatever, but what about those who need the Data Connect package(and I'm sure some do)?

The proxy setting is NOT set under your settings>connections>Connections>Manage Existing Connections
    If it were, all internet traffic would use the proxy setting with wap.cingular.

As it is, the defualt setting is normal for your internet setting:
    Wap.cingular access point. No proxy setting is set.
    This is in the form of "My ISP" as the connection profile and under that is a "wap.cingular" connection.
    If you changed the connection "Media Net" (under manage networks), it uses one called "Media Net" which is wap.cingular with the proxy enabled.

So the default is wap.cingular, with NO proxy setting.

Now IE has a registry setting that you can't access (without a registry editor) that somehow tells IE and only IE to use wireless.cingular as a proxy server so that it can access http://device.home/ (Media Net site.)

If you installed Opera Mobile or any other program, it would not have this proxy setting set.

Also, if you changed your network profile to use isp.cingular, IE would NOT able to access the interne because the wireless.cingular proxy is NOT available on isp.cingular.

So Cingular has, in effect, forced the Treo 750 to use the wap.cingular (Media Net) connection for web browsing. It's an ironic twist because they want you to buy the PDA data plat, but you can't use the data connect (isp.cingular) access point.

Therefore you're being forced (probabaly wasn't intentional) to not use isp.cingular. At least for IE.
    The same goes for my WiFi card which is why I discovered it.

This shouldn't affect ANY OTHER programs at all, including opera mobile or any other browser or whatever you install.
    Also, I'm not sure this proxy actually compresse images or not. As far as I know it just puts you through the wap gateway to get to media net, but I'm not sure. It could be compressing images. I know when i ran a speed test it was comgin up as like 300kbps on only an EDGE connection which is way too fast to be possible. So it could be.

P.S. Found some more posts on HoFo that say the same thing. Cingular hard coded the proxy into the registry. So it looks like you should use Opera instead of IE, so far.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/11/2007 at 06:53 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I don't understand what the problem is. Even with my Vodaphone Treo although the proxy isn't hard coded it was still using wap.cingular as the access point when browsing. Without that proxy though you can't use the Media Net pages, but if you use the Media Net networking setting you can't use email.

Sounds to me like Cingular fixed the problem with not getting Meda net the same time as email. Sounds like a positive to me, not a negative.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #23  
    They're saying not for those who need isp.cingular with Data Connect. If you go through the trouble of buying their data, you should be able to use it!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I am confused, the HoFo comments are a little wordy so let me see if I understand. I have read through this thread and the HoFo comments. So, the new Cingular Treo 750 is hard coded so that IE can only access the internet via the Media Net connection? So, if you put a WiFi card in the Treo 750 it can not get to the internet over lets say a 802.11b/g router I have at my house using IE? So in affect you have to use a Cingular purchased data plan connection to access the Internet with IE?

What about if I buy an unlocked Treo 750 from Palm? Like you can with the Treo 680.
  5.    #25  
    Let's say you did buy the PDA Connect, you can't use it properly. And yes, with wifi, IE will not get on the internet. So it looks like Cingular might have disabled the wifi for IE too. But they say Opera seems fine.

I'm waiting to see what's on the Palm ROM, if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let's say you did buy the PDA Connect, you can't use it properly. And yes, with wifi, IE will not get on the internet. So it looks like Cingular might have disabled the wifi for IE too. But they say Opera seems fine.

I'm waiting to see what's on the Palm ROM, if there is one.
    Since Cingular didn't do this on the 8125 and the 8525 I'd be surprised if they did it with the Treo. Perhaps Palm is playing games. They did this on the Treo 650 with regards to Wi-Fi. (If you used a Wi-Fi sled then you needed a 3rd party browser to get past the hard-coded proxy)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  7.    #27  
    What's their excuse for not allowing people to use even the more expensive PDA Connect?
    And it's also pretty mean to effectively disable wifi(you can't use the default browser, how many people will know to buy Opera Mobile) only for the US. They didn't do this to the Vodafone version, right?

"But I am unable to configure and use isp.cingular as an APN. I do have pda unlimited, and I can use the same sim in my nokia e62 with the apn as isp.cingular."

"set it to isp.cingular and check your email (or try opera mobile.)
    I discovered this when similarly trying to get my spectec wifi card to work. I noticed only IE was the only thing unable to connect via wifi, and it was able to access http://device.home/ (via wap.cingular) which you need the proxy to access, but I didn't have the proxy set in the connection settings.
    I deleted some internet connection registry settings for IE and successfully removed it. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a way to disable this through the menus, just the registry."

Please let us know how that one works out. If they get another in stock and the Voda ROM isn't crippled, I may be down there again too!
    Well, I went to the store. I was told $750 plus tax, bringing the total to over $800 dollars. $750 if you pay cash. It comes with the Euro charger (which I'm not a fan of).

I went ahead and bid on a 2 week used unlocked 750 on eBay and won it for $600 shipped (and it has the US plug AND international adapters). I will report on my experience when I get it (probably next week).

I would not worry THAT much about ROMs. After you do it once or twice, flashing to a different ROM probably will not be THAT difficult (caveat: I have done this with the 650, T-Mobile MDA/Cingular 8125/HTC Wizard, and Motorola Q. I am hoping the Treo 750 ROM flash should not be too difficult).

I plan on using the Voda ROM for a couple of weeks and if I notice a problem, I will flash to Cingular. But hopefully, I will not have to. I usually have no use for Cingular's bundled apps.

Moppet52
  9.    #29  
    Thanks! It's supposed to have ALL chargers included. And it's listed as $725 on the internet, you have to sometimes tell people what they quoted before to get them to honor it. I guess I'll be ordering online too! Although I didn't have a problem getting my Sony from there. I found another place online anyway.

The reason I don't like Cingular ROMs, they do something everytime to it! Looks like Voda or Palm ROM for me!

It will work with PDA connect. Just select the right network option. The problem is people trying to force it to use the isp.cingular access point. That's not required and I don't see that it changes any functionality. I tried the PDA connect plan also on a Vodaphone one and it worked fine with the wap.cingular access point (which is setting from the sim card even for PDA connect).

This is user error, I can't see that it's a problem at all.
    I can't stay logged into the TC site because of thid ;(
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    It will work with PDA connect. Just select the right network option. The problem is people trying to force it to use the isp.cingular access point. That's not required and I don't see that it changes any functionality. I tried the PDA connect plan also on a Vodaphone one and it worked fine with the wap.cingular access point (which is setting from the sim card even for PDA connect).

This is user error, I can't see that it's a problem at all.
    Umm, it is not user error. I want to use isp.cingular because I need NON-NATTED access to some sites. wap.cingular nats you and runs you through their proxy. Besides, I am paying for pdaunlimited, I want isp.cingular, not wap.cingular.

Anyway, RF9 on howardforums has figured out the hardcoded proxy and how to disable it. Check over there.

/v
  13.    #33  
    That was my point! This is fine for those on Media Net, but those who paid for PDA Connect should be able to use it! Cingular messed up the ROM or something!

So what other Cingular ROM screw-ups or restrictions are there? Anyone know?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/12/2007 at 04:23 AM.

14.    #34  
    Any more news on this? The HoFo poster put up the registry edit to bypass the proxy problem, but is there anything else Cingular messed up? I'm looking to get the 750 in March, but need to be sure of which ROM I'm getting.

Any more news on this?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...32&postcount=3
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  16.    #36  
    That's the post from Howard also. But I wanted to know if there are any more restrictions Cingular put on. If so, time for Voda or Palm. Unless Voda put restrictions on too, but no one has said anything about Voda ROM yet, except they think it's cleaner than the Cingular ROM. Which is a good sign.

The Cingular version works much better with their data network than the Vodaphone version. The Vodaphone version frequently has very long network address lookup lag and goes brain dead on their network when it's switching between GSM and UMTS.

If you intend to use this on Cingular, I very highly recommend you get the Cingular version not the Vodaphone. I'm sure there are websites that don't like the proxy, but every website I use doesn't seem to have a problem with the proxy. And with this setting you can get Medianet pages and use email with the same network setting. You can't do that on the Vodaphone version. I'm sure for someone it's a problem, but personally I think it's an improvement.
    Things I see on the Cingular version are their logo (duh), their phone startup screen, a today screen plugin for xpress mail, a Downloads and GetGood link in Programs, I guess the IE proxy (although it's not visible). There may be more but I don't see it. Works the same for bluetooth DUN and blue file transfer. Same bluetooth problems with some cars I've talked about in other threads. No Vodaphone Business today theme. Otherwise seems the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Things I see on the Cingular version are their logo (duh), their phone startup screen, a today screen plugin for xpress mail, a Downloads and GetGood link in Programs, I guess the IE proxy (although it's not visible). There may be more but I don't see it. Works the same for bluetooth DUN and blue file transfer. Same bluetooth problems with some cars I've talked about in other threads. No Vodaphone Business today theme. Otherwise seems the same.
    Yeah, I installed the Cingy ROM 2 days ago, and have been using the phone since to test, and it seems basically the same. Only cosmetics, as you mentioned. And I havent gotten the alarm issue either, so I'm OK right now
    How are the data connections? On the Vodaphone ROM I have lots of issues with the data connection being connected but data not transferring. On the production Cingular version this doesn't seem a problem. I thought the leaked ROMS were pre-production and people were reporting issues with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    Yeah, I installed the Cingy ROM 2 days ago, and have been using the phone since to test, and it seems basically the same. Only cosmetics, as you mentioned. And I havent gotten the alarm issue either, so I'm OK right now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast