Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,
    I need a little help with 4smartphone. It sounds like the type of service that I need, but I'm not 100% sure. I am hoping that I can use it for push email and also keep my calendar/contacts etc synced with my home computer running Outlook (and possibly my laptop). Is this possible with 4smartphone w/o having to cradle the Treo or having to constantly hit sync on the Treo.

Basically I'm in need of any details about how this will actually work. Thanks alot. Please forgive my ignorance.

Shannon

PS-Treo is in the mail, but I won't have it for a couple of days. Currently using Axim x51v.
    In one word: YES
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i believe there's a free-trial period for 4SmartPhone service. if i recall, their website walks you through the setup process to create an Exchange (email) account that allows you to sync mail, contacts, etc., to your phone and the Outlook Client (on your PC/laptop)
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. I don't believe the trial version is fully funcitonal. I set it up, but it says that syncing with Outlook 2003 isn't available in the trial version. Also , in order for my device to be updated I had to hit "sync". Is that because it doesn't have "push" and once I receive the Treo, it'll work fine? What does push refer to? Only email - or also calendars and contacts?
    Thanks again,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    I am hoping that I can use it for push email and also keep my calendar/contacts etc synced with my home computer running Outlook (and possibly my laptop).
    The answer to your qustion is no if you are planning on syncing your contacts and calendar over the air with your home computer.

Your phone will not sync wireless with you home computer. If you want to sync exclusively over the air, then you will need to sync your mail, contacts, and calendar with 4Smartphone.

You would need to get the "Personal" account from 4Smartphone which includes Outlook access to the 4Smartphone servers. You could then use your home computer and/or laptop to connect to 4Smartphone to manage your contacts and calendar. But in the end, your mail, contacts, and calendar are all stored on the 4smartphone servers.

The "Personal" account has a free trial period.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I don't believe the trial version is fully funcitonal. I set it up, but it says that syncing with Outlook 2003 isn't available in the trial version. Also , in order for my device to be updated I had to hit "sync". Is that because it doesn't have "push" and once I receive the Treo, it'll work fine? What does push refer to? Only email - or also calendars and contacts?
    Thanks again,
    Shannon
    Push means that anytime you change something on the server (email, contacts, calendar) it will get "pushed" down to your phone. In reality it really means that your phone is alerted that something has changed on the server and it will automatically perform a sync.

You have to have a newer version of WM5 (which the Treo 750 has) for this to work correctly.
  7.    #7  
    I think I might've made a little progress. How long should it take my device (not push at the moment) to receive an email, for example. I sent myself a test message and then kept pushing sync to see how long it would take to show up. It was at least 20 minutes or so. This doesn't sound right from what I've read. It seems to take a while to show up on the Outlook Web Access as well. Any ideas on this one? Also, I have a few folders that I use to organize email in Outlook - is it impossible to sync those with 4smartphone?

Thanks again,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    20 minutes is extremely long. My mail shows up on my phone almost immediately. When using OWA, it is there almost instantly after I send the email.

I guess it depends on how you are sending your mail to 4smartphone. When you send your test message, are you sending it to a @4smartphone.com email address or are you sending it to another email address that gets forwarded to 4smartphone?

When you setup your account, there were a couple options as far as forwarding your original mail to 4smartphone. Which option did you choose?
  9.    #9  
    I am sending a test message to my "regular" home account which is the one I'll be using on a regular basis-not the "smartphone" address-which I don't plan on using. Also, I chose to have 4smartphone PULL my mail. I had to provide them the email address and password. Everyone has posted how it is very fast. Not only is it slow on my device, but also slow on my desktop ... I must have done something wrong.

Thanks,
    Shannon
  10.    #10  
    Sorry, but I've been experimenting and now I have another question. Here is what I would like to do:

Use 4smarthphone to keep home computer, laptop, and treo in sync (email, calendar, contacts, & tasks). I would also like to use 4smartphone to keep my work computer in sync (calendar, contacts, & tasks - NOT email).

So far this doesn't seem possible. I wouldn't mind syncing the "old fashioned way" on my work computer, but it doesn't seem to want to let me do that either...saying that exchange is already taking care of that. It gives me the choice to have the exchange server stop syncing and then sync it with a cable/BT or leave it as is...

I believe this will work - if I use 4smartphone at work as well - but that just isn't an option for me. Somehow I need to find a way to keep my work computer synced up (except for email) via the Treo cable connection or Treo BT connection.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Shannon
    Last edited by scollins; 01/10/2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I am sending a test message to my "regular" home account which is the one I'll be using on a regular basis-not the "smartphone" address-which I don't plan on using. Also, I chose to have 4smartphone PULL my mail. I had to provide them the email address and password. Everyone has posted how it is very fast. Not only is it slow on my device, but also slow on my desktop ... I must have done something wrong.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    This is the problem. I'm not sure who has been saying that this is "very fast". It's not. They don't pull email from you account immediately. They check email on a regular interval, but it's not every minute.

As a test just to make sure that 4smartphone is processing email correctly and to make sure your phone can sync with it, send a test email message to your @4smartphone.com email address. It should be on your 4smartphone profile screen. I would be willing to bet that it shows up in your OWA very quickly. Your phone will have access to it almost immediately as well. If this is true, then it is definitely a PULL issue.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Use 4smarthphone to keep home computer, laptop, and treo in sync (email, calendar, contacts, & tasks). I would also like to use 4smartphone to keep my work computer in sync (calendar, contacts, & tasks - NOT email).

Hmmmm. Not really sure about this one. You will have to get creative.

If you are syncing mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks over the air using 4Smartphone, then you will have your phone configured to sync those using ActiveSync Exchange. So your phone can't be configured to sync with your work computer, or any other computer for that matter.

At home you would run Outlook and point it to the 4smartphone servers. This would keep your home computer / laptop in sync.

At work you would need to do the same thing that you are doing at home. If you are using Outlook, you would need to configure it to use the 4smartphone exchange server.

In the above scenario, you will not be getting your work email, since Outlook can only talk to one exchange server at a time. One option might be to configure Outlook to pull your work email via POP3 or IMAP. You could configure Outlook to have two email accounts: 1 exchange account for 4smartphone and 1 pop3/imap account for work email.

Whether this will work inside your company network would be up in the air given firewalls, etc. Also your company email may not support pop3 or imap.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks alot for helping me out. I'll try send a message to my 4smartphone address to see if that is quicker and possibly the "pull" issue is causing the problem.

I've never used exchange before, so I have a question about its behavior if you don't mind. When I open Outlook I get a message in the bottom right corner that says "this folder was last updated on xx/xx/xxxx" and "trying to connect". That seems to take about 4-5 minutes. Then it asks me for my password (no remember option?) and the I get a "waiting to update" message ... after all is said and done it probably take about 7-8 minutes to check my mail the first time, then all is fine, until I close Outlook and re-open, then the wait starts all over again. Does this sound right and just the nature of the beast or is there something I can check to possibly make this go faster?
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The delays you are referring to are normal. This is basically how Outlook works when it is configured to run in "Cached Mode". Cached mode means that your email, calendar, and contacts are all officially on the Exchange server, but Outlook will download copies of all the email, calendar, and contacts to your local computer (cache). When running in this mode, navigating through Outlook, looking at emails, calendar, etc, is very fast because all the data is cached locally. The downside to this is that you don't get your emails immediately. There is a small delay between the time the exchange server gets the mail and the time Outlook alerts you that you have email.

You can change this though. Simply disable "Cached Mode".
    From Outlook, go to Tools->Accounts from the menu.
    Click "Next". You should see your exchange server account.
    Click "Change". You will see a checkbox that enables/disables cached mode.

If you disable cached mode, you will get your email very quickly. However, you will notice a delay when navigating between emails, calendar, and contacts, because Outlook has to pull the information directly from the exchange server.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Tigershark that makes perfect sense about the way Outlook will react with and w/o cached mode enabled. I will give that a try when I get home this evening. If I disable cached mode - will that also make my actual "log-in" time quicker. That is what seems to be taking so long...

You've been a big help to me. Thanks for your time.
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The "log-in" time you mention really is the time it takes Outlook to do the initial cache update. You will see the "waiting to update" message on the status bar. When it is done, it will change to "All folders are up to date".

This delay won't exist any longer if cached mode is disabled because you will be connected directly to the exchange server. I think the status bar will show a status of "online".
  17.    #17  
    That's great news...I'll check it out as soon as I get home.
    Thanks
  18.    #18  
    I have configured 4smartphone to have my email forwarded to it rather than having it "pull" my mail. This seems to be quicker - at least quick enough to be acceptable.

I have tried Outlook with both cached mode and non-cached mode ... both work fine once connected, but both take a long time to connect. I have no idea what the problem could be, but I can't imagine everyone experiencing this. Tonight in my experimentation with it, it took about 10 minutes to get up and running. Once it's running - no problems at all.

Finally, and this is a serious problem for me ... I somehow need to maintain 1 calendar, 1 task list, and 1 contact list and 2 email accounts. I am open to any ideas on this one. I don't mind setting the treo to receive my work email via pop.

I was thinking that I could leave activesync on the device set to sync mail, task, contacts, and calendar and then when I'm at work switch it to just sync my home mail acct and set everything else to sync via cable or bluetooth. Would this be a viable solution? It seems like it could cause problems to me, but I don't know.

Or, I can I just have activesync set to sync my home mail only and use a cable or bluetooth to sync everything else and still use POP mail for my work mail on the treo?

This is getting overly complicated. I've tried to explain my issues as best I can. Is there any hope for me or am I asking to much. Please let me know if anyone has any solution to ANY part of my problems!!

Thanks alot,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It's not clear to me exactly what your end goal is.

You say that you want to maintain 1 calendar, 1 task list, 1 contact list, and 2 email accounts. The 2 emails accounts is clear and doable I think.

The calendar, task list, and contact list isn't clear. You have 2 sets of calendars, contact lists, and contacts... one at home and one at work. Which set of calendars, tasks list, and contacts do you want to sync with your phone?

If you want to use your home calendar, tasks, and contacts, then you can set your phone to sync with the 4Smartphone server. Then for your work email, you could setup your phone to have another email account to pull POP3 email from your work server. (assuming your work supports POP3).

My phone is setup in a similar fashion. I sync calendar, contacts, and exchange mail via 4smartphone. I also have another email account setup on my phone to pull in POP3 email from another ISP account I have.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have tried Outlook with both cached mode and non-cached mode ... both work fine once connected, but both take a long time to connect. I have no idea what the problem could be, but I can't imagine everyone experiencing this. Tonight in my experimentation with it, it took about 10 minutes to get up and running. Once it's running - no problems at all.

Regarding your 10 minute logon delay, that just doesn't seem right. When I startup Outlook, I get prompted for my 4Smartphone userid and password within a second or two.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast