Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I went to pickup the 750 today and the Cingular rep said I need to get a new 3G SIM. I was curious if that is true? I don't care either way because I'm not getting charged for it but I was just curious if that is the case? Currently I have a 64k SIM on my Treo 680.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i believe you'll need a 3G sim to utilize the faster (than EDGE) 3G (UMTS) network...
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I ran an older 64k SIM for a couple months without any problems. Data speeds are the same with my new SIM. I would not say that it is required, but it properly worth staying up to date. There's obviously some new functionality in the new SIMs.
    according to cingular corporate this is true.
    Yeah, you need the 3g, they didnt give it to me at first, I had to ask for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR724 View Post
    Yeah, you need the 3g, they didnt give it to me at first, I had to ask for it.
    There is documentation in the box that says you must use a "3G" SIM to get "3G" service with the 750. The documentation also says you can stop by any Cingular store and get one for free if you don't already have one.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I received my Treo 750 today from Cingular and it did not have a new 3G SIM.
    I tried the internet out of the box without any HACKS and I'm getting 370kbit/sec speeds...VERY NICE. So as TigerShark states, it may be other technical reasons to upgrade. I'm going to my Cingular store to get the swap later today.

Thanks
    I have heard mixed responses in regards to needing a 3g sim for cingular service. Some say yes, some say no. I plan on picking up my Treo 750 (hopefully) this weekend and test it to see what happens. I am using a 32k sim but I have manual network selection.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    I can say with certainty that my old SIM did not work for 3G service. After getting a 3G sim card it worked fine. Sounds like some older sims will work, and someother types will not.
    I popped my 64k SIM in and it initially did not work. I rebooted the phone and it worked, but very slowly. With the new 3G SIM it was tested at 423k/sec out of the box.